• During the 2013 draft, there was a lot of talk about guards being drafted highly, and whether or not there was value there. A common thing for people to say about highly rated guards was “Well if he’s Larry Allen then hell yeah you’d take him that high.” Here’s a rare video of Allen chasing down a linebacker after an INT. His athleticism was incredible. Comparing a guard prospect to Larry Allen is like comparing a QB prospect to John Elway. You just don’t do it.
• Former Cowboys scout Bryan Broaddus went on 105.3 the Fan last week and said that Dez Bryant had the worst background he had ever seen. I’m not sure if dallasnews.com cut the article off because the rest is behind a paywall, or if the article is limited to just two quick blurbs by Broaddus, but I would have loved to have heard more.
Dez Bryant is in a weird spot right now, although a great one. He had an absolutely ridiculous 2nd half of the season last year, and people are beginning to think he’s among the elite WRs in the game, or at least on the cusp of that status. Additionally, although the offseason isn’t quite over yet, Bryant has so far managed to stay out of trouble during the downtime for the first time in his career. This has led to weird praise for Dez for “growing up,” although to be fair, it’s not like Dez himself is the one saying he’s reformed. Still, in the (amended) words of Chris Rock, “What you want, a cookie? You’re not supposed to (get in trouble every offseason)!”
DeMarcus Ware aside, Dez Bryant might be the best player on the team, and he’s only 24. However, while it’s fine and good that Bryant is keeping his pants pulled up and he’s not running up 6 figure tabs at Dallas-are jewelers, let’s take it slow with the maturity thing until it’s demonstrated over more than just 75% of an offseason.
• Phil Costa is engaged to Brooke Hogan, Hulk’s daughter. Wait a second! Brooke Hogan just got engaged, married, and divorced to some guy in a span of like 3 months, all in 2013:
• As I noted last night, the Raiders would have drafted Matt Barkley if the Eagles hadn’t traded up ahead of them in the 4th round.
• Donovan McNabb is on Twitter. In my opinion, he’s a must follow for fans of any team, for gems like this:
You’re not doing it right, Donny.
…or maybe he is.
• Tommy wrote about Bradley Fletcher. I’m a big fan from what I’ve seen in OTAs and minicamp so far.
• Some guy named Walter E. Williams wrote one of the dumbest articles I’ve ever read that seems to be getting a lot of attention for it’s awfulness. It’s on… you know… the name “Redskins.” Williams goes the “Where will the changes end” route. There’s endless idiocy, but my favorite part is the parallel he draws to smoking, as if not allowing people to smoke on an airplane is a terrible thing.
• The Redskins were bad against TEs last season, according to Rich Tandler of Real Redskins (via Football Outsiders). Rich mentions some reasons why the Redskins may or may not improve in that department, and I’ll add one. The Eagles and Cowboys are loading up on TEs, and seemingly want to make that a big part of their offensive game plans.
• My thoughts on David Wilson as a kick returner in 2013, from last Friday.
• This is a little old, but FB Vonta Leach’s agent listed the Giants in the “top 3” of teams vying for his services, although the Dolphins seem to be the most likely. I’ve been pushing for the Giants to sign Leach since the 4th day my blog was live, so obviously, I like the fit. However, I just don’t see how the Giants can get it done under their cap.