• NJ Governor Chris Christie is pretty much the worst kind of football fan there is:
“The Giants and the Jets pretty much stunk when I was a kid,” Christie said. “And my father was a Giants fan and I used to remember watching him when I was eight, nine-years-old. Every Sunday, he would watch the Giants and yell at the TV set. I used to think to myself, why would I want to root for a team that makes you angry? So I decided not to and the Cowboys were really good back then.”
That is pretty much the definition of a textbook bandwagon fan. Oddly, in a very non-bandwagon choice, he’s also a Mets fan.
• The Giants think David Wilson’s pass protection has improved. It better:
• Tommy drew some interesting parallels between Michael Vick circa 2013 and Randall Cunningham circa 1995. Good stuff.
• T-Mac notes that 3rd round pick Bennie Logan hasn’t gotten much attention in comparison to the other Eagles rookies, and that Logan is used to flying under the radar coming from a star-packed roster at LSU. Tim has some good nuggets in there about Logan, and his apprenticeship under Isaac Sopoaga. I think part of why Logan hasn’t gotten much pub is because it’s fairly useless watching defensive linemen in OTAs and minicamp, when players are in shells and shorts. You can evaluate some of the things the QBs and skill position players are doing, but without the pads, OL and DL play is pretty much impossible to judge.
• Mike Kaye of BGN wonders if the Eagles can go from worst to first. I think it’s a fair question. I look at it from this perspective: Who are the best teams in each of the other 7 divisions? I’d go with the Packers, Falcons, 49ers, Patriots, Texans, Broncos, and Ravens. The worst of that bunch, oddly enough, is probably the reigning champs, who lost a of boatload of key players this offseason. Still, I’d take any one of these teams over any of the teams in the NFC East, which means that, in my opinion, the NFC East has the worst “best team in the division,” whoever that may be.
If the Eagles were in… say… the NFC West, I’d say hell no. But in this weak division, where there just happened to be a worst to first team last year, it’s certainly not out of the question. This is the division you want to be in if you’re hoping for a quick turnaround.
• Long snapper Nick Sundberg and Sav Rocca are using a special helmet cam to perfect their techniques. The Eagles can use this.
• Jordan Reed missed all of OTAs and minicamp, with an injury that snowballed into several more injuries, per Tarik El-Bashir:
“I had a [thigh] contusion in college and that caused my quad to shutdown and stop working, which caused my kneecap to start moving around and banging into my bone, and that caused a bone bruise,” Reed explained. “As long as I get that quad back firing right, my kneecap will stay in place and I’ll be normal again.”
Get that fixed before it spreads to any vital organs.
• I think Miles Austin’s nickname should be “hamstrings.”
• Steven Van Over of Cowboys Nation breaks down an anchored pocket, something Tony Romo hasn’t had in recent years. Good stuff.