• Rich Tandler put up a piece on David Amerson. Jim Haslett thinks that Amerson’s first game against Tennessee ruined him for a few games. Amerson truly was brutal in the Tennessee game. His lowlights:
- Double move, beaten for long TD
- Double move, another long TD
- Outrun by WR on end around
- Am I in your way, Mr. RB? Oh, sorry. Here’s a gigantic lane to run through
When I took a deep look at Amerson, I thought that his coverage lapses were the smaller problem:
The double moves, for me, are the smaller issue. That can be fixed. It was the lack of effort and the total unwillingness to tackle that is more alarming, and a much harder fix. The talent is clearly there, but Amerson is going to have to decide if he wants to play football at a high level. If he does, he should be a good pro. If not, he’ll be out of the league very quickly.
• I just happened to find this video of Chip Kelly yelling at some fans while being interviewed by Erin Andrews:
• My buddy Lars did a “If you could have one player from each NFC East team” post. He did it, of course, from the perspective of the Cowboys. I figured I’d shop for groceries for each of the 4 teams:
If I were the Cowboys…
Redskins: RG3. I’ll save you the suspense for the Redskins. RG3 is going to be the pick for every team.
Eagles: Fletcher Cox is going to be a star, and the Cowboys need to get younger and better along their interior DL.
Giants: Wow, really tough call here. A couple weeks ago, Jason Pierre-Paul would have been a no-brainer, but that back injury of his really concerns me. Give me Will Beatty for the Cowboys.
If I were the Redskins…
Cowboys: Dez Bryant. DeMarcus Ware is tempting, but he’s aging and I’m not so sure the Redskins are that close to contending for a Super Bowl. Give me a top 10 WR to pair with RG3. Morris Claiborne is also intriguing, but I don’t know if he’s going to be really good or not yet. I know for sure that Dez Bryant is.
Eagles: Fletcher Cox. Again, stud in the making, and the Skins could use a difference maker at DE.
Giants: Beatty. They complete their OL.
If I were the Eagles…
I’d take any of the division’s three QBs in a heartbeat.
If I were the Giants…
Cowboys: DeMarcus Ware. Giants are suddenly thin in the pass rush department, and Ware is kinda good.
Eagles: Yeah, still Fletcher Cox.
Redskins: RG3. Can’t pass him up.
• TE coach Mike Pope talked about the TEs. Good stuff. Here’s what he said about newly acquired Brandon Myers:
“I think at the Raiders he was more of an intermediate receiver,” Pope said. “And now our passing game does allow the tight end to get more vertically down the field -– flag routes, double seam routes, post routes. And he appears to have the skills to get those balls. He has a little bit of a jet that can accelerate and go get a ball that is a little deeper. You may not think he is going to reach it, but he has that little bit. So we are very interested to see him in pads.”
Myers is going to be a massive upgrade over Martellus Bennett, in my opinion.