• Perry Fewell thinks that stopping the read option will be similar to the way teams started stopping the Wildcat after its initial success:
“I look at that offense kind of like the Wildcat. The Wildcat took us by storm and then until you can see it, understand it; then you can defend it.”
Last season, the Giants gave up 455 yards in two games to the Redskins. I’m not so sure it was because they were fooled by some kind of exotic look. A few interesting formations aside, the Redskins’ offense was extraordinarily simple. There isn’t much to grasp. The Giants gave up huge rushing days to read option teams and non-read option teams alike. They gave up 224 rushing yards to the Ravens, and 191 to the Eagles. Worse, they gave up at least 129 rushing yards to 4 teams in the bottom 8 in the NFL in rushing yardage (the Cowboys, Steelers, Falcons, and Saints).
The Giants’ ability to stop the read option will be more about whether or not they can keep from being dominated in the trenches, not “figuring out” a fairly simple concept.
• Rich Tandler of Real Redskins has some pictures of FedEx Field. It doesn’t appear to be painted dirt, and I don’t think I can see any hypodermic needles laying around, so that’s good.
• DeAngelo Hall considered not playing this season after teams around the league chose not to make him one of the most ridiculously overpaid players in the NFL for the first time in his post-rookie contract career. The 1 year, $1.25 million he’s getting this year is about what he should be making, if not less.
• Adam Carriker is expected to start the season on the PUP list. JAG. Now would be an appropriate time to start checking out Carriker’s contract details and the savings/penalties if he were to be cut:
• Good piece by “rabblerousr” (or as the rest of the world knows him… the guy who posted the Cowboys draft board) on the Cowboys’ plans to heavily utilize tight ends this season. That seems to be the case for 3 of the 4 NFC East teams:
- Cowboys: Jason Witten, Gavin Escobar, James Hanna
- Eagles: Brent Celek, Zach Ertz, James Casey
- Redskins: Fred Davis, Logan Paulsen, Jordan Reed, Niles Paul
The Giants’ safeties and linebackers better be ready to play this season.
• Sheil Kapadia of Birds 24/7 got a sneak preview of DeSean Jackson’s documentary. Sheil notes some of the more interesting moments. Les Bowen also got a sneak preview, and he wrote an excellent article on the viewing. I can’t wait to see this thing. It follows Jackson’s journey to the NFL from when he was a child, with thousands of hours of footage filmed by his brother Byron. Of the most interest to me is Jackson’s seemingly strained relationship with his college coach Jeff Tedford, whose honest assessments of DeSean’s baggage may have been at least partially responsible for DeSean’s fall into the 2nd round of the draft. The documentary will be released today. Here’s the trailer:
• Tommy had some thoughts on DeSean as well.
Apologies again for the lack of content recently. A boatload of non-football stuff. Thankfully, we’re in the slowest part of the NFL calendar. I’ll be ramping it back up this week.