Eagles OTA practice notes, May 31st, 2013

Let’s just get right to it:

• The Eagles are running their offense almost exclusively out of the shotgun. I’m told that they ran a few plays from under center during Tuesday’s practice, but I must have missed that. Personally, I’ve seen nothing but shotgun.

• Last training camp, Julian Vandervelde had trouble snapping in the shotgun. He had far too many errant snaps. Today, he sailed one over the head of Michael Vick, and had another that Vick didn’t seem to be ready for. OL coach Jeff Stoutland likes Vandervelde’s “girth,” but he’ll have to improve his snapping to have any chance of sticking with the team as a center.

• Matt Barkley is fun to watch in drills. Today the Eagles QBs were doing a drill in which they pump faked down the middle field, then threw to the sideline. Barkley sells his fakes like it’s the Super Bowl.

Continued at the Allentown Morning Call…

1. Stan says:

Most kickers can kick the ball through the upright from 70 yards. It’s the trajectory that makes the long distance attempts difficult. Do kickers practice with some sort of obstruction in the way to simulate an in-game scenario?

2. horatius says:

Did Chip Kelly consider pulling three other linemen far to the other end of the field? I hear it’s an excellent formation and a sign of the pedigree of an NFL coach.

3. Todd B says:

Sounds to me like Williams got paid and now football takes a back seat to everything else.

I think I read somewhere that he missed this practice because his daughter has a dance recital.

4. dannymac056 says:

Jimmy, about the shotgun- any pistol mixed in? Kelly ran a lot less pistol than most zone-read teams at Oregon. Just curious.

1. Jimmy Kempski says:

Haven’t seen the pistol yet.

5. Dan in Philly says:

Putting your freakishly athletic RT outside to box to block for a bubblescreen to Jackson. If they pull someone large enough to take him on effectively, the Eagles run. If they leave a CB/OLB on him, it’s a mismatch.

Like the DL things forcing the QBs to throw in lanes during practice, simple but brilliant.