Random notes around the NFC East: Hard Knocks, Bosworth the Giant, Redskin draft regrets, and will the Eagles retire Steve Smith’s number?

Cowboys

• Blogging the Boys wondered if they would want the Cowboys to be on Hard Knocks. The last time the Cowboys were on HBO was in 2008. They were predicted by many to go to the Super Bowl that season, and were the overwhelming favorites to win the division. Here’s how that season ended. Aside from the monster Romo contract and the Cowboys’ (cough) controversial draft, they’ve barely made a peep. Dez Bryant is pulling his pants up at the mall and key players are quietly recovering from injuries. It’s the quietest Cowboys offseason I can remember in years. If I were Jerry Jones, I wouldn’t mess with that at all… although I’d love to see it. On a side note, it’s probably somewhere near a 0% chance that Mike Shanahan, Tom Coughlin or Chip Kelly allow HBO into their respective buildings.

• Todd Archer of ESPN has some notes up on Cowboys OTAs. The notes that caught my eye was that 2nd year TE James Hanna is outplaying 2nd round pick Gavin Escobar. That actually doesn’t come as a huge surprise. James Hanna’s Combine measurables were off the charts:

James Hanna

• That’s a guy that’s made for these OTA practices in shells and shorts. Still, it will be interesting to see how the Cowboys deploy their 3 TEs, who could cause matchup problems for opposing offenses if Hanna and Escobar prove to be solid contributors.

Redskins

• Congress is now involved in the movement to get the Redskins to change their name. It’s beginning to feel more and more like the Redskins are no longer going to be the Redskins. I don’t know if it will happen in one year or ten years, but if this was something you could bet on in Vegas, I’d be banging the name change hard.

• Dan Ciarrocchi of Hogs Haven noted 5 players the Redskins may regret passing on in the draft this year. I couldn’t possibly agree more on Arthur Brown. Give me Brown over David Amerson any day, regardless of team needs.

• Also from Hogs Haven, another good breakdown from by boy Mark on how a more traditional offense may actually be more dangerous to RG3′s health than the read option.

• I’m way late on this (and we’ll pull this under the Skins since Shanny is the top NFCE coach on the list), but Forbes published its “10 highest paid coaches” list a week ago. There’s a whole lot of NFC East representation on that list, past and present:

• 3. Andy Reid: $7.5 million annually
  • 7. Mike Shanahan: $7 million annually
  • 8. Tom Coughlin: $6.67 million annually
  • 9. Chip Kelly: $6.5 million annually

Eagles

Steve Smith retired. No word yet on if the Eagles plan on retiring his number, whatever it was. There’s patch of grass at Lincoln Financial Field where Steve Smith voluntarily laid down instead of easily picking up a crucial first down in 2011 against the Cardinals. My sources tell me that patch of grass is being sent to the Hall of Fame to honor Smith’s greatness as an Eagle.

• It appears as though Jason Peters missing OTAs may have been for personal reasons, and perhaps not the big guy just blowing off a voluntary camp. Either way, I don’t care. Peters showed up to camp in 2011 clearly out of shape after the lockout ended. He could barely breathe at times standing on the sidelines after 11-on-11 hitting sessions. By the end of camp, he was good to go and was arguably the best offensive lineman in the league that year. Obviously, this year could be different, as Peters is two years older and recovering from a double ruptured Achilles, but personally, I’m more interested in seeing him on the field in September than May. Peters, by the way, is apparently the 19th best LT in the NFL, lol.

• Nick Fierro of the Allentown Morning Call transcribed the cross-examination between the media and Chip Kelly, in regard to Kenny Phillip’s absence from practice:

Q.  Was that a precaution because of the knee?

COACH KELLY:  It’s got nothing to do with the weather.

Q.  You said Kenny is OK?

COACH KELLY:  I said Kenny is here. He was in the training room. He wasn’t on the field.

Q.  Does he have an injury?

COACH KELLY:  Yeah, he’s had an injury for a couple of years now.

Q.  Has he had a setback on that?

COACH KELLY:  I don’t ask questions. They just tell me who is going and who is not going.

Q.  Can we ask trainer Chris Peduzzi about the knee?

COACH KELLY:  I don’t know. I don’t know what the protocol is. But I’m not a doctor, they just tell me who is practicing and who is not practicing.

Giants

• The Giants signed Kyle Bosworth, nephew of former NFL star Brian Bosworth. Bosworth of course played for the Seahawks in the late 80′s, but I’ll always remember him for his role in the Academy Award winning picture “Stone Cold.”

Apologies for the lack of posts yesterday. It was my birthday yesterday and I had family over. 36. Ugh. More importantly, my cat Butters (who played the role of Jeremy Maclin in spectacular fashion in my “Day in the Life of an Eagles Blogger” video) turned 7 last week, and Blogging the bEast turned 2. It’s a little awkward singing Happy Birthday to a website.

Be sure to follow Blogging the bEast on Twitter and like Blogging the bEast on Facebook.

1. Gary says:

Ha, they didn’t even spell Cary Williams’ name right in that CBS article. Top notch, CBS Sports!

And a happy belated birthday to you, Butters, and the site (but mostly to Butters).

2. Mick says:

You forgot about when Michael Vick hit Steve Smith directly on the hands with a pass and he courageously batted up in the air directly to the waiting Aaron Ross!

Man, your boys should sign all of their FAs from my boys. Good luck with Phillips!!! (HA!)

1. mjoedgaard says:

The worst Philips could do would be to not tackle Cruz, but that wouldnt be any different from NA or DRC

3. Clayton Giles says:

Gah! Errant period where there should be a question mark. Oh the shame.

4. Clayton Giles says:

Is it sad or hilarious that I knew it was Prisco who ranked Peters as 17th before even clicking the link. That guy gives no-talent hacks a bad name.

5. Tracer Bullet says:

36. Ugh.

Fuck you and get the hell off my lawn.

1. Arby says:

I second that.

6. Dez Bryant's Probation Officer says:

They should change the name of the team to honor the family of Red Skelton.

The Washington Reds Kins has a comforting ring to it.

7. tf says:

Stone Cold is the best movie ever. You should have posted the opening sequence. Or even better: the montage of the whole movie with the Doobie Brothers’ “Dangerous” dubbed over top.

Oh wait, here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EgZ4ya7HPo

8. Mac says:

Washington Bureau-Cats

complete with “red tape” ribbon

9. TylerD says:

The letter to Snyder is more Kubuki theatre from Congress, they don’t actually do anything.

10. I think you maybe over valuing the letter to Snyder sent by a VERY small and non-legislative contingent of congressional members. Far from a mandate, it was a letter than attempted to persuade Snyder why it would be good to change the name. If you understand who this letter came from as well as the contents of the letter itself……you know that nothing is going to change with the name of the team.

Thats not to say it will never happen, I agree that its more consistently in the headlines than in the past (which will affect public opinion – 80% in favor of the name) and looks headed for some sort of conclusion eventually.

My point is that the letter you link to will have absolutely zero affect other than to piss people off with their ridiculous comparison to the N-word as well as people’s anger that Congress spends time on things like this and not the important issues facing our country today.

1. skinsaholic says:

I would throw this story in all those congressmans’ face…non native americans in congress are offended? Dont they have anything better to do?

2. Jimmy Kempski says:

Yeah, I didn’t mean to suggest that the Congress thing was going to be the straw the broke the camel’s back or anything.

I just don’t think this is ever going to go away, and eventually they’ll change.

1. skinsaholic says:

Just change the logo to a drunk, sunburned white guy…haha.

I agree, this will unfortunately not go away, as much as I want it to

11. [...] Eagles legend Steve Smith retired. Jimmy Bama raises a great question…will he go to the HOF? I don’t think any of us will forget the many great plays Smith had in 2011. There are so [...]

12. skinsaholic says:

Looks like Chip Kelly’s press conference’s will be highly entertaining this year.

1. Mac says:

I can’t believe he didn’t say, “Dammit Jim, I’m a head coach not a doctor!”

13. TylerD says:

Hey Jimmy Happy Belated, 36 huh well don’t worry when you hit 40 you will look back at 36 as the good ole days! Oh and the GMen got Bosworth Super Bowl!

14. Happy Birthday Jimmy – thanks for all the hard work…and the jokes…and the Cowboy hate

15. Bob says:

Happy Birthday!

16. giantsfan says:

It’s my birthday today Jimmy. Happy birthday!!!

17. mjoedgaard says:

That rankings should make Cowboys fans happy, they once again top a list like that, but have a great chance to finish no better than 8-8, because of the crap depth and no cap money to help get that depth.