• For the second straight year, the Eagles Almanac has received a ton of support. We’ve raised almost $5,500 in just a couple of weeks. Thank you to everyone who contributed. I can safely say that those of you who contributed are going to get our A+++ game.
• I’m not sure if I’ve pointed this site out yet, but if you’re an Eagles fan, a must read is EaglesRewind.com. Great stuff, and Brent writes pretty much every day.
• Chris Gocong is trying out with the Eagles this weekend. I was never a big fan. I can only think of one big play he ever made in Philly… a FF on Brandon Jacobs. Can anyone think of any others? It is notable, as Jason from BGN points out, that Eagles DC Billy Davis was Gocong’s LB coach in Cleveland.
• Some NFL scouts are saying that Eagles 1st round pick Lane Johnson is “not ready for prime time.”
• Browns WR/KR specialist Josh Cribbs and former 4th overall pick Aaron Curry visited the Giants today. The Giants have shown interest in former 1st round LBs in 3 of the last 4 years. The last two were Keith Bulluck (30th overall in 2000) and Keith Rivers (9th overall, 2008). Unlike Keith Rivers and Keith Bulluck, Aaron Curry’s name is not Keith.
Cribbs is an interesting name. I think that at this point in his career, he’s a return specialist only, although a very good one. Cribbs was 4th in the NFL in kick return average last season:
He was 6th in punt return average:
However, he caught only 7 passes last year and only ran the ball 13 times the last 2 years.
• In case you missed the completely unnecessary 5-part series on Damontre Moore, we’re up to Part III:
• The game plan for opposing defenses is going to be the same for every team the Redskins face for the next 10 years, or as long as RG3 is in the league. Hit him as hard as you can as often as you can. That theory applies in general with opposing QBs, but teams are going to go out of their way to tee off on RG3. The Steelers did it last year, and teams have been doing it to Michael Vick the last few years. Any optimistic prognostications on the part of Redskins fans may eventually be prefaced with “assuming RG3 stays healthy.” We may already be there.
• The Buccaneers’ Ronde Barber retired. Here’s how that’s noteworthy to the Redskins:
• I feel like every article I read in regard to the Doug Free situation only looks at it from the Cowboys’ perspective. This is old material (a week or so), but here’s Free’s case for why he’d be smart not to take a “substantial” pay cut. Free has all kinds of leverage. To suggest he doesn’t is just flat wrong.