Analyzing the advantages and disadvantages of the Giants’ 2013 schedule

Giants scheduleAdvantages:

• Look at the stretch from Week 6 to Week 14. The Giants will arrive home in the early morning hours on Friday after facing the Bears on Thursday in Week 6. That will be October 12th. The Giants then have a home game against the Vikings, a short bus ride down the NJ Turnpike to face the Eagles, then a BYE, then 3 straight home games, then a train ride (presumably) to DC, before finally having to play in San Diego Week 14.  They might not have to board a plane from October 12th to December 7th. That’s a stretch of 56 days.
  • Seattle has a road game against their biggest NFC West competition in SF Week 14, then they have to travel to NY to play a 1:00 Sunday game the following week. Brutal for them, advantageous for the Giants.
  • Home game Week 17 vs the Skins could be huge.

Disadvantages:

• 3 of the first 4 games are on the road.
  • Road game on a Thursday Week 6 in Chicago.
  • Have to play the opening day “Kevin Ogletree Bowl” on the road.

1. Real Talk says:

cRUZ VS vACCARO gAME 1!

2. mjoedgaard says:

I dont understand why teams get a home game either after a bye week or a thursday night appearance.

3. I was hoping to get the Redskins early in the season when they could possibly be without RG3—so the way Shanahan uses him, the Giants will probably get the Redskins without RG3 at the end of the season.

1. horatius says:

Haha.

I hope you didn’t hurt yourself coming up with that knee-slapper.

4. Invictus XI says:

Overall…everything went better than expected. I like the 11 day layoff between week 6 and 7. It’s essentially an extra bye week.

And speaking of bye week, week 9 is about as ideal as you can get, smack dab in the middle of the season.

Also a fan of the fact that the Giants’ 3 most difficult out-of-division games (Denver, Green Bay, Seattle) are at home.

1. I struggle with deciding whether I’d rather have the tougher opponents at home or not. Obviously, it’s better than playing a really good team on the road. But on the other hand, if you lose, well… you’ve just lost a home game.

I probably lean toward agreeing with you.

1. horatius says:

Giants are known for shitting the bed at home. So, that’s not exactly an advantage.

1. Killer says:

Correction: the Giants ARE SHIT!

2. willgfass says:

Beat the Saints and Packers at home by a lot last year.

2. Invictus XI says:

Yeah, it can be argued both ways, I suppose. Though I’m going to take every advantage I can get against good opponents, even if its a slight one.

3. NYG_Slater says:

In general, it could be argued either way, but not in this case. As an east coast team, you do not want to travel to Seattle, ever. Also, Denver isn’t a fun place to play, especially for a coastal team (although I think the altitude stuff is over-hyped, it still matters)….GB is sorta a toss up, not sure if we just match up well against them, but we seem to play well against the pack, home or away.

1. As an east coast team, you do not want to travel to Seattle, ever. Also, Denver isn’t a fun place to play, especially for a coastal team (although I think the altitude stuff is over-hyped, it still matters)

Yeah, I’m with you there.