Very quiet start to free agency for the NFC East. Here’s what happened yesterday:
The Eagles signed 5 players, mostly under-the-radar guys:
- James Casey, TE, Texans – I wrote about Casey yesterday. At the time, I hadn’t heard the financial details. It turns out that Casey signed for 3 years, $14.5. That’s pretty steep. In 4 years with the Texans, Casey had 66 catches for 752 yards and 4 TD. That tells me the Eagles have every intention of using him quite a bit in their offense, and they see more in him than the Texans did.
- Bradley Fletcher, CB, Rams – Tommy and I talked quite a bit (in comparison to the other 50 or so free agents we discussed) in our free agency podcast last week. Really interesting player/situation. I’ll have a lot more on Fletcher a little later today.
- Patrick Chung, S, Patriots – Chung played for Chip Kelly at Oregon. I have no idea how much that factored in to Kelly bringing him to Philly. Chung is a bigtime hitter. I’ve only really had a chance to check out his highlight reels so far, but he has a lot of big shots. (Some are little dirty, in my opinion). Whenever I needed to feel safe, I used to put on some soothing music, light a candle, and sit down in the Eagles secondary. Chung will make the Eagles secondary a little more uncomfortable.
- Isaac Sopoaga, NT, 49ers – Sopoaga will be a situational run defender. He’ll turn 32 in September. The Eagles didn’t have a legitimate NT on their roster that could be counted on to play any kind of meaningful role at all. Now they do, although I don’t think that Sopoaga’s presence on the roster means they won’t continue to look to upgrade the position in the draft if a player they like is available. This seems more like a move where the Eagles thought “Let’s just make sure we have somebody filling that hole, just in case it doesn’t get addressed otherwise.”
- Jason Phillips, LB, Panthers – Phillips has bounced around a bit. This will be his 3rd team after being drafted by the Ravens in the 5th round in 2009. Likely a special teamer / role player only.
- The Skins re-signed Sav Rocca and Kedric Golston. Woohooo! You know who really hates that the Redskins got hit with that cap penalty? Agents.
- The agent for Lorenzo Alexander wrote the following on Twitter: “New teams for clients @
JoshCribbs16 @ onemangang97 @ jordanbabineaux.” “@onemanganag97″ is Alexander. I guess that means that Alexander won’t be re-signing with the Skins. Significant loss – Great special teamer and role player.
- Martellus Bennett is now a Bear. No biggie. The Giants will plug in a new moderately priced TE, and that guy will go for at least 500 yards.
- Chris Canty signed with the Ravens.
- No action on Victor Cruz yet, who could possibly get some attention in the RFA market once the free-for-all begins to calm down.
- Update: Forgot the Giants signed Aaron Ross. This is a move I like for them. I assume it’s a low money deal. Ross knows the defense, obviously, and played well his last year in NJ. Depth only.