• Tommy and I recorded a show over the weekend that I thought was a good one. We talked about Cullen Jenkins, Mike Patterson, GJ Kinne, the Alex Smith trade, a little Andy Reid, and who the Eagles might take at 4. The show ran for about an hour and a half. Good stuff for a long drive.
• The Giants, Redskins, and Cowboys are all likely going to be very quiet in free agency, which is a little bit of a bummer. The Giants are up against the cap, the Skins are dealing with the Haynesworth/Hall penalty and have to shave off a lot of money just to get under the cap, and Dallas is a mess. A few days ago, there was a little debate in the comment section here about restructured contracts and exactly how harmful they can be to a team. As luck would have it, overthecap.com wrote about this exact topic, and even singled out the Cowboys:
And then there is Dallas. Dallas is in so deep on their players it’s ridiculous. They have $134 million set for the 2014 cap and that is assuming that Tony Romo is off the team at an $8 million dead money clip. Clearly Romo is going to be part of the team which is just going to push the number higher.
Definitely worth a read in full. Over the Cap is a great new site, by the way. Very informative, and great resource for player contracts.
• With David Carr likely leaving the Giants, Big Blue View took a look at the available free agent QBs. In my opinion, the Giants are a terrible landing spot for a backup, assuming the backup wants to play. To the right is a table of what QBs have the most consecutive starts around the league. If you think you can play in the NFL, logically you’ll want to go somewhere that you think you can start. In my opinion, the Giants are limited to QBs that know they are nothing more than backups. That’s a rare downside to having a good QB that never misses a game.
• Today is the deadline for teams to use the franchise tag. With Will Beatty locked up long term, I don’t think we’ll see anyone in the NFC East use the tag this year.
• The Cowboys signed Phil Costa to a 2 year deal worth $2.7 million. As Jerry Jones has informed us, Costa can be OK aslong as one of the guards next to him is good:
• The Eagles have interest in Cardinals safety Rashad Johnson, per Geoff Mosher of CSN.
• How many 2007 team stat leaders still play for your favorite team?
• Do teams that run a 3-4 have better special teams units than teams that run a 4-3?