Today at his Combine presser, Jason Garrett said Jay Ratliff be back with the team in 2013:
In the wake of Jay Ratliff being arrested for DUI, just weeks after Josh Brent crashed his vehicle killing teammate Jerry Brown, most Cowboys fans wanted Ratliff gone (see the comment section here). The DUI aside, there were already a number of things working against him:
- He is scheduled to make $5 million in 2013, $5.5 million in 2014, $7 million in 2015, and $7.5 million in 2016.
- He missed 10 games last season.
- He had a “physical altercation” with Jerry Jones after the Dallas game in Philly this season.
The two things still working in Ratliff’s favor… and these are biggies:
- The Cowboys are extremely thin at DT.
- It’ll cost more to cut him than it will to keep him.
He also played very well in 2011, when he was healthy, despite what appear to be unimpressive numbers. Here’s a film breakdown of Ratliff against Jason Kelce, who Ratliff thoroughly dominated. And here’s another film breakdown from a preseason game this year against the Rams. The guy can still play. No surprise here at all.