By the numbers: A comparison of the Eagles’ 2011 OL with the 2012 version

Well… 2012 was a lot worse, but we already know that. For the sake of putting numbers behind it, I went to data compiled by ProFootballFocus, using their snap counts, penalties, sacks allowed, and hits allowed. (PFF calls it a “hit” if the QB is knocked down, but not sacked). I then added them all up and broke it down into 3 more metrics:

1. Snaps per penalty
  2. Snaps per sack
  3. Snaps per hit

The higher the number of snaps per penalties/sacks/hits, the better.

Just to note, in 2011, PFF had the OL down for 10 sacks allowed. You might ask, “Wait, how can that be accurate if Michael Vick was sacked 24 times in 2011?” The answer is that they will place blame on the QB for holding on to the ball to long, or if there simply wasn’t anyone on the OL to blame (sacks allowed by TEs or RBs), QB scrambled when nothing was open, etc. I charted all of Michael Vick’s sacks in 2011, and while I came to a couple different conclusions on which offensive lineman was to blame, I also came up with about 10 sacks that you could blame on the OL. In other words, even if there are a few disagreements here and there on the “who” aspect, the overall numbers are going to be very close. Got it? Good.

The numbers:

2011:

Eagles 2011 OL

2012:

Eagles 2012 OL

And here’s what it looks like when you put the bottom line in 2011 up against the bottom line in 2012:

Eagles 2011 OL vs 2012 OL

In other words, in 2011, the Eagles’ offensive linemen played more than double the snaps in between giving up sacks and hits than in 2012. Obviously, that is a huge difference.

Oh, and instead of getting plays like this…

You got plays like this…

And then there was this:

LeSean 2011-2012

It can’t be overstated enough had badly injuries along the Eagles’ OL wrecked the 2012 season. Jason Peters, Todd Herremans, and Jason Kelce will all be returning from serious injuries, although they will all likely be ready to go for the start of training camp in 2013. While it’s perhaps unrealistic to expect Peters to return to 2011 form when he was arguably the best offensive lineman in the game, the return of those three players will be enormous upgrades over the mess that was the Eagles’ 2012 OL.

Be sure to follow Blogging the bEast on Twitter and like Blogging the bEast on Facebook.

1. Joe D says:

I don’t get how all the Vick supporters were trying to say there was little difference in line play int he past two years. Clearly there was a HUGE difference and no matter how good or how bad Vick wasn’t very effective

2. Dez Bryant's Probation Officer says:

There was a drastic drop in the ratio of touchdowns to torn ligaments in 2012.

3. Brian says:

I’m not that concerned about Peters. Even if he isn’t 100%, he’s returning to playing with Mathis next to him, and I think they made each other better. Great line play should be greater than the sum of its parts, and that’s more based on a line playing together as a unit. Peters, even at 80-90% could still look like the Peters of 2010 as long as he and Mathis continue to gel.

Also, Jimmy, do you have the link to the last 5 minutes of the Dallas game? The one where Peters made Ware and the rest of the Dallas linebackers look old and slow.

1. GainesvilleIgglesFan says:

If you look at Mathis’s stats you would assume that the combo of Bell/Reynolds was only twice as bad as Peters/Kelce, which we all know is drastically underestimated. I can’t wait to see Mathis and Kelce shoving the heavier linemen that would typically cause them problems into the dirt on our 80th play of the game when the fatties are gassed. I’m setting the over/under of 4th quarter YPC at 5.2. What do you say Jimmy?

4. Phil says:

I feared for the running game as soon as I heard about Peter’s injury last year. I just hope it’s not another Weaver situation.

5. Corry says:

I will gladly take Jason Peters on a hoverround over the combination of Bell and Dunlap in any form.

1. Tracer Bullet says:

I’ll take Peters on a bloody stump and a pogo stick.

1. deg0ey says:

Let’s just tie Peters to a wooden stake and nail him into the ground like a scarecrow. We’ll be at a slight disadvantage because we’ll only be able to move him when the game stops to move the chains after a first down or during timeouts, but I’d be willing to bet he still does a better job than Bell.