Eagles new defensive coordinator Billy Davis’ statistical resume: Proceed reading with caution

The Eagles defensive coordinator search is over. Per Geoff Mosher of CSN Philly, their man is former 49ers and Cardinals defensive coordinator, Billy Davis:

Mosher

If you’ve been a reader of my website over the last few years, you know that I often pointed out the underwhelming resume of Rob Ryan.  Well… It’s only fair that I point out Billy Davis’ resume, and it ain’t pretty. Here are where his defenses ranked in the following statistical metrics:

Billy Davis

Yeesh.

1. [...] doesn’t h&#1072&#957&#1077 a sparkling resume &#1072&#1109 a coordinator &#959n paper. B&#965t h&#1077 h&#1072&#1109 tons &#959f experience &#1110n 3-4 schemes, &#1072nd recently [...]

2. chaliwil says:

This has Pat Shurmur written all over it…

3. Real Talk says:

Who in tha what is Billy Davis ?

4. Dan in Philly says:

When the Eagles get a splashy hire, some call them trying to win the off-season, similar to the Redskins. when they hire a lifer who’s not a big what does that mean?

5. Mark Sitko says:

No – I still take this guy over Rob – cuz sure, they both might put up underwhelming Defenses, but I don’t expect Davis to also talk mad shit on the opposing team before they run all over him each week…

6. Frank says:

I’m not sure I could be more disappointed….Rob Ryan never looked so good…

Someone call Juan and ask him if he wants to move to defense again.

7. brza says:

Never thought I’d say this but I’d take Rob Ryan any day of the week over this guy. As surprised and overjoyed as I was that the Eagles hired Kelly I am just as shocked and disappointed in the Davis hire.
    Lets hope he proves us wrong.

1. deg0ey says:

“Never thought I’d say this but I’d take Rob Ryan any day of the week over this guy.”

When I’ve got a choice between two guys that have sucked in the past, I’ll take the one that isn’t a dick. Eagles made the right call.

1. brza says:

Haha, true. I guess saying I’d rather have Rob Ryan is going a bit too far.

2. joeyb says:

If you were that overjoyed that Kelly was hired then stay over joyed and trust that Kelly knows what he is doing…… hopefully

8. McMuffin says:

I think I’d rather have a rookie DC, than an experienced, GREATLY failed DC.

9. mjoedgaard says:

Jimmy, how did Jim Johnson stack up when we hired him back in 1999?

1. bula says:

i’m not sure on the exact numbers but he did not have much success as a coordinator before coming here

2. JJ was a DC in Indianapolis from 94-97. His defense finished 20th, 7th, 22nd and 10th in yards, 14th, 5th, 18th and 26th in points and 18th, 23rd, 26th and 22nd in takeaways. i dont know what players the Colts had, but overall its wasn’t overly impressive, however he did have some dominant years. 7th in yards and 5th in points without relying on takeaway is simply impressive.

1. He was the LB coach in 94 and 95, i missed that. The numbers are here: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/JohnJi1.htm

10. Chad Stanton says: