• The Giants are no longer the reigning champs. I think that fact is something that 75% of us can celebrate, albeit in a very bitter way. If you’re a Giants fan, and you have a Twitter avatar that celebrates your team’s Super Bowl win from a year ago, under law 53-2B of the sports fan code, you need to change it to something else. Thank you in advance.
• In the last four seasons, the team that played the Eagles in the Philly home opener went on the win the Super Bowl. If my math is correct (and it very well may not be), the odds of that occurring are 1 in 923,521.
• If the Eagles have their eye on assistant coaches currently employed by the Ravens and/or 49ers, their search for a new defensive coordinator should heat up this week. Tommy and I recorded a podcast on where the Eagles currently stand as a coaching staff.
• RG3 is the Rookie of the Year. If that award included playoff achievements, I have my doubts on whether or not he would have held off Russell Wilson, but based on the regular season only, I agree with the voting.
• Jason Witten won the NFL’s Walter Payton Man of the Year award. Good for him. Frankly, I felt that not enough attention was paid to Jason during the pregame festivities. They brought him up with Payton’s daughter to a podium, gave him his award and quickly shuttled him off. It was like he was receiving an award for “Best Sound Mixing” at the Oscars. Maybe note what charities he’s involved with and some of the great work he did? Instead, it was like, “Here’s your award, Jason. OK, now let’s go live to Matchbox 20!”
• In thinking about the offseason team needs for each of the 4 NFC East teams recently, the one position that stands out as a major weakness division-wide is safety. All four teams can use help there, to varying degrees. Fortunately, the safety position is very deep this year for the first time since 2010. Three drafts ago, there were 13 safeties taken in the first 150 picks:
Over the next two drafts combined, only 17 safeties were taken in the first 150 picks. 2011 is particularly ugly:
In this upcoming draft, there’s a chance there could be as many as 15 safeties taken in the first 150 picks. I’ll be looking at them on film closely between now and the draft.
Apologies for the slow content lately. It was kind of a crazy week. I should be back on schedule this week.