• Ray Horton is reportedly out as DC of the Cardinals, and an old friend could be sliding in to take his place:
Jason LaCanfora thinks Horton will end up with the Browns:
Of course, Jason LaCanfora has some work to do in restoring his credibility.
Redskins secondary coach Raheem Morris is also meeting with the Browns for that open DC position. Morris did a good job this season, or so it would seem. The Redskins secondary, while not very good talent-wise, was a lot better than I thought they would be.
• Oregon DL coach Jerry Azzinaro is reportedly going to join the Eagles. Here’s a video of him (“More violence!”). H/t to @MFall99
• There are like 30 articles about Giants fringe NFL player and former Oregon Duck Spencer Paysinger taking about his former college coach Chip Kelly. Take your pick:
- Spencer Paysinger says Chip Kelly can be ‘dangerous’ with the Eagles
- LB Paysinger familiar with Eagles’ Kelly
- Spencer Paysinger knows what Chip Kelly brings to the NFC East, and it ain’t ducky
- Paysinger bracing for Chip Kelly
I mean… Did he hold a press conference or something? Come on guys, there’s got to be more to talk about.
• Former Bears defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli is expected to join his old pal Monte Kiffin in Dallas. Just a guess here, but if that happens, it could just be a one year stay. Former Bears HC Lovie Smith will be paid by the Bears this season to golf, which is why he’s not interested in taking a coordinator job. In 2014, if Lovie is able to land a head coaching job somewhere around the league, Marinelli could re-join Lovie at that time as his DC. Marinelli has about 20 years of experience coaching defensive lines, so that would likely be his job in Dallas, should he land there in 2013.
• The National Football Post noted 5 players around the league that could be cut. Nnamdi Asomugha and Doug Free made appearances on that list.
• ESPN Dallas’ “10 plays that shaped the season” series is over. I’m not sure why this had to be dragged out over the course of a week and a half, but here’s the list in its entirety. I might go with the blocked punt over Felix Jones’ fumble against Seahawks, but otherwise, can’t argue with too much here.
• Eli Manning is replacing Aaron Rodgers in the Pro Bowl. Eli was the 2nd alternate for the game. Frankly, we’ll all remember Tony Romo’s choke job in Washington, but I think Romo had a better season than Eli.