Slower practice today, plus I was distracted by Twitter with all the Chip Kelly stuff. Let’s just get right to it:
• For the second straight day Iowa CB Micah Hyde had a good showing. He continued to be physical, and had a diving pick.
• Texas A&M RB Christine Michael got a lot of buzz yesterday for having a good day. I didn’t notice him, but wanted to get a better look the second time around. I now see what they they saw. Hard runner. Good strength/speed combo. The Cowboys could be shopping for a back this offseason. This is another guy to keep an eye on in the middle rounds.
• The PhiladelphiaEagles.com guys (media guys, not personnel guys) pointed out a player to me on the first day that they really liked on film. His name is Keith Pough from Howard University. He has been the most vocal player on the field for either team. Constant chatter, great energy, really competes, and tries to get his teammates to do the same. He looks like he has great speed, and the motor never stops.
• Middle Tennessee St. WR Anthony Amos had a nice day. CBS’ prospect rankings has this kid at 611. No way, at least from what I’ve seen in two practices. He made a lot of difficult catches this week, and has some wiggle once he has the ball in his hands.
• After the first West practice, I talked about Eastern Kentucky WR Tyrone Goard, the tall skinny receiver with some nice natural ability. Today I saw some discouraging things. After catching a pass over the middle he was running “high,” and almost sort of loose. He’s going to get killed in the NFL if he runs that way in traffic. And that frame is not going to absorb too many big shots. Whatever team gets him needs to drive him directly from the airport to the weight room, and set up a cot in there.
• Here’s who I spotted some scouts talking to after practice:
- A.J. Klein, LB, Iowa State