Jerry Jones indirectly to Dez Bryant: “Play, or the fans will think you’re a p****”

Yesterday morning, Jerry Jones spoke on KLRD 105.3 FM radio in Dallas about Dez Bryant’s injured fingered.  Jones said that it would ultimately be Dez Bryant’s decision to play or not.  Bryant can play with added padding, but if he puts off surgery, he runs the risk of long-term debilitation.  Jones’ radio spot was transcribed by Carlos Mendez of Star-Telegram.com:

Dez will be the ultimate decision-maker as to whether or not he wants to continue to try to play with a lot of protection or whether he should have surgery. The reason for the surgery is because you could have a life-lasting stiffness there.

Obviously, Jerry Jones wants to make the playoffs, and the Cowboys’ chances of making the playoffs are greatly diminished if they lose their most potent offensive weapon.  Letting Dez Bryant choose whether or not he will play is fine.  If Bryant wants to risk life-long debilitation of his finger by helping the Cowboys’ 2012 playoff aspirations, then that is a decision he has to make.

But why go public with that information?  Had Bryant decided not to play, fans/media would forever criticize him for not playing through the injury.  Maybe Jerry Jones went public strategically to put added pressure on his star player to play.  Or maybe Jones was completely oblivious to the unfair situation he was potentially creating.  Either way, it’s totally unacceptable.

Reportedly, Bryant desperately wants to play.  I don’t believe that he was influenced by Jones going public with the news that it was Bryant’s decision.  I believe Bryant is a tough guy that wants to play.  But there are ways to handle internal business, and there are ways not to.  Jerry Jones doesn’t get that, and probably never will.

1. Matt says:

What a pile of sh*t post!

2. Carl says:

Ok so this is waaaay of topic but just felt the need for sharing this:

3. DerfDiggy says:

Jerry being Jerry.

4. ameero2 says:

I agree with everything you said especially that it probably didn’t affect Dez in the least because of the type of player he is. And I’m scratching my head trying to remember another instance where a player was so publicly put on the spot like this but I can’t.

smh only jerry

5. Common Sense says:

Dez is a beast,a Cowboy,a man!

6. Well, I agree, but I also think this is where coach Garret needs to step-up. A good coach (I believe Coughlin would do it–they’ve sat plenty of guys who said they will play on Sunday) comes out and takes the decision away from Dez.

“Dez Bryant wants to play, but we’re not letting him play. Our medical people say he shouldn’t be out there”

So I put it on Jerry Jones and Jason Garrett.

But man is Dez Good.

1. DerfDiggy says:

JG has already said that it’s going to be a medical decision first and foremost, same thing he said with the Witten situation earlier this year.

Jerry’s an idiot, and it takes a special kind’ve coach to gently massage that relationship, or just a insanely headstrong one. I believe JG is the former. You leave it up to the Doctors and you take Jerry and his opinion out of the equation completely.

1. skinsaholic says:

I agree, Garrett needs to back Jerry off with a statement similar to the one above.

Not trying to troll a Cowboys post, but I hope Shanahan does the same for Robert Griffin if he is unable to play. Even during a playoff chase, I would rather get him heathly, than get him seriously hurt.

7. BBI says:

That was the first thing that popped into my head. He basically forced the decision on Dez. Remember all of the shit Cutler got for partially tearing his MCL in the NFCCG and not coming back in? It wasn’t even his decision.

Now with the Dallas Cowboys of all teams, you’re one of the best players on the team, and YOU now have to make the decision to play in a critical series of games…and EVERYBODY knows it. That means if you want to ensure full function of your fingers in the future, you’ll get crucified.

What a dick move by Jerrah.

1. Dez Bryant's Probation Officer says:

I’ll bust up his other nine pussy fingers.