• Romo’s pass to Dez Bryant for the TD was a thing of beauty. A lot of zip, and right on the money. Perfect strike:
• The Bengals evidently saw something they liked on tape when evaluating the Dallas D, because they tried a couple of end arounds that went for big gains. Marvin Jones took a reverse to the left for 37, and Andrew Hawkins took a shovel pass that was basically the same thing as an end around for a TD on the first drive. They never went back to it.
• Brian Moorman is awful. The Cowboys need to replace him this week.
• I started to wonder about Brandon Carr earlier this week. He had an outstanding pick. He sort of snuck under the receiver, was able to somehow keep his balance, and catch a ball with some zip while not completely having his feet under him. Once he had control of the ball, he then made the most of it with an impressive return. Well done. That was the first big play I can think of that he has made this year due to good coverage. The Cowboys need more of that from him.
• DeMarco Murray has some ups:
• Mike Jenkins looks uncomfortable in the slot. Andrew Hawkins made him look silly on one play early in the second quarter in which he made a catch, and didn’t really even try to make a move on Jenkins in the open field. Jenkins may have been expecting a juke, but Hawkins just blew right by him and Jenkins whiffed badly on a diving tackling attempt. Then later in the red zone, Hawkins ran a quick out on 3rd and 3. Jenkins was nowhere close in coverage, but the Cowboys were bailed out by a Hawkins drop.
• The Bengals tried 18 runs with their running backs, and when they did run, they were effective. They passed 33 times. With how banged up Dallas is up the middle, that made no sense to me whatsoever.
• I’ll reiterate what I’ve been saying about Rob Ryan for years… He’s not a head coaching candidate, and I’ll never understand why people think think he is. His resume is terrible. How can you scream at another player because you think he’s holding? It’s utterly ridiculous. Here he is jawing with Bengals OT Andre Smith:
Ryan was flagged for unsportsmanlike conduct, and the Bengals went from what would have been 2nd and 16 from the 18 to 1st and Goal from the 9. Think I saw a “F*** you” in there. Those are the kinds of things that lose games. Ryan is lucky AJ Green dropped a sure TD pass to end that drive.
• The Cowboys run game is up to its old tricks: 24 rushes, 49 yards.
• The personal foul call on Reggie Nelson was chicken shit. Dallas didn’t capitalize on the gift, but it’s still worth mentioning.
• Doug Free now has 15 penalties on the season, and at least one in 9 of the Cowboys’ 13 games.
• Interesting stat from the FOX crew during the game:
• I really like the nickle rush personnel here: From left to right: Butler, Spencer, Hatcher, Ware. Spencer on the inside seems like a good idea:
He gets a nice inside move on Kevin Zeitler:
And gets home for a sack on a very key 3rd down:
Spencer is having a bigtime season.
• Great job by DeMarco Murray staying off the ground and reaching the ball out for a huge 3rd down conversion on the final drive.
• I’ve been on Jason Garrett for his clock management. No such issues last Sunday. Well run final drive, strategically speaking.
• It wasn’t pretty, but a big emotional win for the Cowboys: