The Eagles’ chances for the #1 overall pick

I’ve had a lot of Eagles fans asking me about their chances for the #1 overall pick on Twitter, so I outlined it all at Bleeding Green Nation.

1. Harry says:

Could an option for the Eagles would be to trade for a pick or two later this year plus a 1st round pick next year and get the good stuff coming out next year? Granted, that’s a risk….don’t know where the other team would end up next year.

1. Hope says:

Yes, that is an option.

But WHO do you think would trade a pick or two this year plus a 1st round pick next year so they can pick the WEAK stuff of this year and let you pick the good stuff next year? This is not a Madden video game.

But I could be wrong, there is always a player or 2 that teams fall in love with by draft day. I just don’t see any Luck or RG3 in this year draft. Little early to talk trade now when the combine is not any time near.

I think your trade scenario has very little chance of happening as of today.

2. A fan whose team is in the hunt says:

Why is this site called Blogging the Beast? All you talk about are the bottom feeding Beagles.

1. Previous 5 articles aren’t about the Eagles. Do you realize what you’re complaining about here? That post takes up, what? An inch of real estate on the front page? Don’t want to read the article, skip it. That’s all I can tell you. If a link to another article I wrote on a separate site bothers you that much, than I would suggest just not coming back. I owe you nothing.

1. DerfDiggy says:

daammmnnn…..Jimmy has had it up to HERE with you people!

3. Jim Z. says:

Jimmy, what do you think about Star Lotulelei(sp?)?

Supposedly he’s the next great DT. When I watch him, I don’t see an exceptional pass rusher, but is a massive human being with some quickness and speed.

He could potentially form a great DT tandem with Fletcher Cox for years to come.

1. I haven’t seen much of him, to be perfectly honest. If the Eagles decide to move to a 3-4, he could make sense as a NT, which is an incredibly important position in a 3-4. He’s a Senior, so hopefully he’ll be at the Senior Bowl, in which case I’ll get much better look at him.

4. Jim Z. says:

Jimmy, what do you think about Star Lotulelei (sp?)?

Supposedly he is the next great DT. When I watch him, I don’t see an exceptional pass-rusher, but he is definitely a massive human being with some quickness and speed. He could form a pretty nice tandem with Fletcher Cox in the middle of the D-Line for years to come if they pick him with their top-5 pick.

1. I haven’t seen enough of him yet. Don’t want to venture too much of an uninformed opinion.

5. DerfDiggy says:

I’m not even sure if this would be the year I’d want a #1 pick, minus a trade back to acquire more picks…Is there anyone you’d seriously target at #1 that potentially wouldn’t be there at like #3?

Drafts are hard to predict obviously, and there’s a lot of time between now and then that prospects start to skyrocket in value…but I don’t see a Browns or Redskins package coming through that door this year.

More picks is always good though…always.

1. DerfDiggy says:

I’ll also say that with the new rookie wage scale there is no detriment to having the #1 pick as well. So I don’t want to undersell that point either.

More or less…Eagles get #1 pick…who are you targeting?

1. Geno Smith or Luke Joeckel. Very confident Joeckel will be a top end LT for a decade. Not as confident in Smith, but in the NFL, you either have a QB, or you don’t, an if you don’t you have no chance.

1. deg0ey says:

“Not as confident in Smith, but in the NFL, you either have a QB, or you don’t, an if you don’t you have no chance.”

But if you’re not confident in Smith, then you can’t be sure he’d answer the question about having a QB. If, as you say, you have no chance if you don’t have a QB then surely it’d be more sensible for the future of the team to take a good player at a different position (Joeckel, for example).

The result of that would probably be sucking enough next year to get a pick in the range where you can make a play for one of the top-tier prospects next season when there seem to be some better guys to choose from.

1. DerfDiggy says:

Yea, this was moreso what I was alluding to…There’s no certified #1 QB in this draft, and Smith would be a reach with the #1 pick. The likelihood of the Eagles being this bad again next year is pretty slim though. So you’re probably not looking at drafting top 3 again unless something goes horribly wrong.

If I were an eagle fan, and I”m not…but if I were…I’d want the front office to trade down and stock up on picks, pick bpa in the 10-18 range, and see what you have in Foles.

2. “Is there anyone you’d seriously target at #1 that potentially wouldn’t be there at like #3?”

Geno Smith and Luke Joeckel. Maybe Jarvis Jones, if the Eagles were to move to a 3-4. It would definitely be better to get the #1 pick instead of the #3 pick. However, this is a weak draft at the top this year, no question.