• The Eagles point differential is now -90. That’s minus… NINETY. If the season ended today, the Eagles would draft 6th. If they wanted to go “best player available,” there are no shortage of positions that could be in play. Ignoring what players may or not be available, it would not surprise me if the Eagles drafted any of the following positions early (1st-3rd rounds): QB, WR, TE, OT, OG, any position on defense.
• I didn’t realize until after the game that RG3 went 14 for 15 passing. My first thought was, “He only threw 15 passes?!?” 4 TDs, perfect 158.3 QB rating.
• On the long slant and go route to Santana Moss, it wasn’t bad coaching or bad scheme. It was simply a 5’10 player making a play on a ball in the air, and the Eagles… not.
• In the preseason, Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie got hit with a $21,000 fine for launching his shoulder into Byron Leftwich’s head. When asked if he had any regrets about the hit, DRC told Philly Mag’s Tim McManus, “The Bible said don’t live a life of regret.” Here was his hit on Leftwich last week:
And here’s what DRC tried to do to RG3 yesterday, although he missed:
DRC is only doing what the Bible is instructing.
• Staying on DRC for a second… Can you make a play? Please? On RG3’s lone incompletion on the day, DRC broke on short route and had a chance to pick it off an take it back for a TD. Nope. He was content to bat it down. For all his faults, that was the kind of play that Asante Samuel would have made.
• Another fumble by Brandon Banks that he didn’t lose. Also, another catch for no yards. That brings his receiving totals this year to 7 catches, 7 yards.
• The Eagles had 2x as many penalties (12, although 3 of them were declined) as points (6).
• I thought Brandon Meriweather had a nice game, before he got hurt… again. He had a pick of course, but he looked like he was constantly around the football. I also thought his replacement, DeJon Gomes played well when he was in there. The Skins clearly need help on the back end, and that’s be a point a focus this offseason, but maybe… if he can stay healthy and stay out of trouble and that’s a huge maybe, they might have something in Meriweather.
• Riley Cooper did a fantastic job blocking downfield on a couple of LeSean McCoy screens. That’s about the only nice thing I have to say about the Eagles from yesterday.
• Ryan Kerrigan does such a great job of stripping the football from QBs. That was a big part of his game in college, and he got himself a strip sack yesterday. I was shocked to see that was his first FF of the season.
• Brent Celek had another huge drop. That led to an INT. I don’t recall Harbor dropping a single pass in training camp, but he had two yesterday. Bad day for the Eagles TEs.
• London Fletcher was injured yesterday, and Keenan Robinson got some extended playing time (somewhere around 20 snaps). Robinson was a player I liked at the Senior Bowl, and I liked that pick for the Skins when they drafted him. Nothing particularly good or bad stood out to me watching the game live, but I’ll be interested in getting a second look at him on film.
• Nate Allen blew two coverages yesterday that resulted in TDs. On the season, he has no INTs, no FFs. No FFs in 2011 either. Also, Kurt Coleman just isn’t good.
• Very nitpicky here, but what were the Shannys doing at the end of the first half? With 14 seconds left, an 11 point lead, 1 timeout left, and 2nd and 11 from the Eagles’ 15, they ran a “not-going-anywhere” draw play, then they let the clock run down to 2 seconds, called their last timeout, and settled for the FG. I guess that makes sense to some degree if it’s Week 16 and you’re fighting for a playoff berth. You get the 14 point lead over a team with a struggling offense. But come on, Mike. You’re 3-6, and toast. Try to score.
• Mychal Kendricks’ rookie season has gone downhill fast. On a long 3rd down play yesterday, he took a horrid angle, allowing RG3 to get around the edge for a first down.
• RG3 broke a record yesterday, just FYI. Most completions by a Redskins rookie QB.