• I’ll have some Giants-Bengals stuff up soon. I watched the first half of that game from the Eagles parking lot, and then the second half was cut off inside the building when FOX moved away to a more competitive game. So I have some catching up to do there.
• Tommy Lawlor and I did an Eagles-Cowboys recap podcast this morning. A lot of Nick Foles talk, along with some extended talk about the Eagles’ WRs. Good show, worth a listen, I think.
• If only Dez Bryant’s hand didn’t land out of bounds, this is what the NFC East would look like:
And the Cowboys would have the season sweep, of course.
• Still far too many penalties for the Cowboys. They now have 3 players with at least 8 penalties. Doug Free has 11. Tyron Smith has 9. Morris Claiborne now has 8 after collecting FIVE yesterday. FIVE penalties! And two for offsides. How does a CB get called for offsides… twice?
• Tony Romo has occasional moments of awesomeness. His scramble, in which he avoided like 3 sacks, a falling piano, and a swarm of bees before finding an open receiver was a thing of beauty.
• The Eagles were atrocious tackling the Saints last week. They came out in the first half are were bad once again. The Eagles have too many ankle divers.
• Before the season began, there was some hype around Jeremy Maclin, who a lot of people thought was poised for a breakout season. Not so much. I’ll get into more detail on Maclin later.
• Not related to the Eagles or Cowboys, but I love when two officials do the synchronized “out of bounds wave.” The officials yesterday, by the way, were terrible, not that it matters/mattered. That was not PI on DRC on Dez Bryant, nor was that a catch by Bryant. How does that not get overturned? Also, there was a meaningless play late in the game in which Dwayne Harris called for a fair catch, then let the ball go and hit the gunner. That’s illegal. I saw it from roughly 140 yards away. Clear as day. No flag. Awful.
• Not sure what Rob Ryan was thinking when Nick Foles first entered the game. If I’m a defensive coordinator and there’s a rookie QB forced into action mid-game, I’m blitzing the shit out of shit. Ryan rushed four initially, and Foles had time to throw. If not for some drops/penalties, the Eagles could have moved the ball. Ryan wised up later and brought the heat, which was effective.
• Mat McBriar: 2x All-Pro selection with Dallas, and he’s still helping out his old Cowboy friends.
• I’ve been watching the Eagles run that roll out throw inside opposing teams’ 10 yard line in which they unnecessarily cut the filed in half for almost 15 years now. Never works. At least with Michael Vick, there was the “in theory” threat of the run or pass, even if it never worked. But yesterday, they ran it with slow-footed Nick Foles. (RAGE!)
• My favorite tweet of the day goes to my buddy Jason Brewer from Bleeding Green Nation. I don’t remember which Cowboys TD this was after, but it was after a score in which the Eagles were pretty much put away:
• I should have some stuff later on DeMarcus Ware and Rob Ryan, as I had a chance to talk to each of them after the game. I just need to re-watch the game before I get into all of that.