Random notes from around the NFC East

• Mike Patterson practiced yesterday.  That was an unexpected development.  Reuben Frank of CSN Philly says he’s still likely a long way away from returning.  Good for Mike.  There were doubts whether he would ever play again.  I’ll talk more about Patt when his return is more imminent.

• Lots of LT news for the Eagles.  Demetress Bell lost his starting LT job, again.  He had previously lost it during the preseason, and got it back when King Dunlap went down with a hamstring injury.  Dunlap will take over at LT.  Bell was not good last week against the Lions.  I plan on taking a look at Dunlap and Bell.  I may have something on them later this week, depending on whether or not I see anything worth noting.  Meanwhile, the Rams signed Chris Williams, who had been cut by the Bears.  Williams visited the Eagles last week.  And finally, Jason Peters is ahead of schedule, according to Howard Eskin.  My buddy Ryan Messick broke down the roster options the Eagles have with Peters in the unlikely event he returns at some point this season.

• I didn’t know Donovan McNabb did standup.  OK, so this is both mean, and very funny.

• The only NFC East game I have not watched so far this season is Giants-Browns.  I did, however, get my first look at David Wilson’s TD late in that game.  During the telecast, Dan Dierdorf gave credit solely to the offensive line, barely giving Wilson a mention.  He then added:

“Ahmad Bradshaw’s gotta be going ‘I’m killing myself in here, and Wilson comes in for one play and gets (that kind of blocking).’”

I agree the blocking was excellent, but Bradshaw doesn’t have anywhere near the burst that Wilson showed on that play.  In training camp, I noted that Wilson looked faster than a player with whom I’ve become very familiar, LeSean McCoy.  It was only a matter of whether or not Wilson could master the extremely important “little things,” like ball security, pass protection, knowing where he’s supposed to be in the passing game, etc.  Once he gets those aspects of the game down, he’s going to be scary good.  Reminds me a lot of Felix Jones his rookie season.  Obviously, the Giants hope he pans out a little better than Felix has.

Continued…

• JPP told the Redskins not to bring it to his side.  They did.  Next time he may be saying the same thing, sans the bravado.

• The weekly Hogs Haven “Redskins game in gifs.”  Great stuff every week.

• Fred Davis tore his Achilles.  He’s done for the season.  Davis’ stats aren’t anything to “Ooh and ahh” at so far this season, but make no mistake… He’s a very good TE, and this is an enormous loss for the Redskins.  Way back in May, I noted the 10 players the Redskins could least afford to lose to injury.  Kinda funny looking back at stuff like that, and seeing Roy Helu appear on the list.  Anyway, I had Fred Davis 3rd.

• The most crucial name on the injury list this week is DeMarco Murray.  His status for the Giants-Cowboys rematch is up in the air.  I think the Cowboys need to be able to run the ball to beat the Giants, and I don’t think they can without Murray.  My buddy Lars from Blogging the Boys pointed me to what looks like a very useful injury website.  Here’s what they had to say about Murray:

We’ll know much more about DeMarco Murray this week. He says he’ll be back at practice and playing this week and the team had (mostly) reassuring things to say about his presumptive diagnosis. We’re now told that he’ll have another round of tests today. That could mean that a planned examination (and possible imaging) after a week in the walking boot or it could mean that he’s already been re-examined and there’s enough concern for another MRI. Regardless, if he hasn’t shed his walking boot by Wednesday, his return to play estimate becomes much murkier. Many midfoot sprains take multiple weeks to heal and the follow-up testing is a concern. If Murray remains immobilized over a week after the injury, a higher grade injury (and a 2-6 week timetable to return) is very likely.

• It appeared that Cowboys C Phil Costa suffered a serious ankle injury, but the news on his return is now a little more optimistic. Jason Garrett left the possibility open that Costa might play Sunday against the Giants. Frankly, I think Ryan Cook might be the player anyway.

1. Redskins Fan says:

Damn you Jimmy…. I just reread the “10 players the Redskins can’t afford to lose” post. Yeah, substitute Morris in for Helu and raise him somewhat (and we can quibble over the order) and you have a list that most Redskins fan would agree with. And we’ve lost #6 (Garcon), #4/#5 (you cheated on Orakpo/Kerrigan as to which was which, but just call this Orakpo) and #3 (Davis). And we lost #2 (Trent Williams) and #8 (Josh Wilson) for a bit, though both are playing now.

Damn you Jimmy. You’re giving other teams info on who to hurt. The only thing you missed was Merriweather (hasn’t seen a snap after a late preseason injury and then a freak injury during warmups against Minnesota) and Tanard Jackson (suspended for one year – drugs). Our safeties have sucked big time, and those two would have at least kept us from being #40 in a 32 team league in terms of safety play. Those two would be the difference between who’s in first in the NFC East this week…….

2. TylerD says:

Agree, JPP did get a sack and caused RGIII to fumble. As for the rest of the East that has not yet played RGII, that guy is going to make a lot of Defensive Lineman look silly.

3. David_Does_Dallas says:

The Cowboys have played better with Phil Costa at center. I don’t even think it is close. Against Carolina we average more then an extra yard per play then with Cook in the game. This was mostly due to Costa’s support he gives to our run game. Phil Costa is the better player player and will stay the starter. If only he could stay healthy.

4. Willgfass says:

Can’t get on board with the “JPP got schooled” line of thought. On the 4th and 10, he was the NT on a 3 man rush and still almost caught Griffin going all the way to the sideline.

1. deg0ey says:

He did well to be in the area, sure, but once he’d got there it should’ve been fairly easy for him to bring the guy down – Was pretty miraculous that Griffin managed to escape and make that play.

1. Trueblue63 says:

JPP only needed to keep him from running upfield. If he’d simply shadows him, the play would have fallen apart. Allowing RG to cut back and become a passer again was the mistake.

He’ll learn

1. Horatius says:

There’s no way a lineman on his own can even touch RG3 in space without help. Two linemen evens the odds a little bit.

1. Trueblue63 says:

JMHO – in that situation, you just want to keep him behind the line of scrimmage and not cut back. Just play the angles and trust that your teammates are too

2. Horatius says:

There’s a long list of people who almost caught RG3, including CBs and safeties.

5. Proxy406 says:

AS a guy that seems to enjoy Line play. I recomend (not from a point of condescension) going back and watching the ravens game and first half of the panthers game. The line is notably better with Costa in there. (also if you’re intrested looking at the PFF grads for his first half of the season and last half, its a pretty remarkable transformation) He basicially starts as the worst starting center in the NFL (early-mid 2011) progresses to about league average by end 2012, and really started to come on this season. He was man handling the ravens line, Haloti Nata specifically.

Costa, and as a cowboys fan I never thought I would say this, will be severely missed.

6. Sean Lee sprained a toe, he’s in crutches right now and I’d say he’s even more important to the Boys than Murray.

1. mjoedgaard says:

and this is the reason why Sean Lee fell to the 2nd round. He is injury prone.

1. Proxy406 says:

He fell because he had a torn ACL. Sean Lee is not Injury Prone. There is no evidence to support that statement. Injury Prone players suffer injuries to the same area repeatedly.

Sean Lee does not fit this bill

1. deg0ey says:

“Injury Prone players suffer injuries to the same area repeatedly.”

That’s not necessarily true. I don’t think the area has anything to do with it – the ‘injury prone’ guys are the ones that seem to be hurt all the time.

I’m going to pass no comment on whether or not I believe Lee fits that description or not.

1. Proxy406 says:

I think there is a difference to being injury prone; and getting nicked up in the NFL. Injury prone, suggests a player is more likely to be injured such that some part of his body is just inherently weaker. Miles Austin for example is prone to Hamstring injuries. But if he broke his arm, i wouldn’t call that a result of him being injury prone; more so a freak accident.

Sean Lee for example, if we were to see him with a dinged up knee over and over, than that is probably a result of the original ACL, and would lead (at least me, but I suspect others who use the term) to believe he was injury prone do to similar reoccurring injuries.

Romo for example, has missed time in 3 different seasons, all different injuries, not injury prone; but a result of large men trying to kill you.

1. BryanH says:

Not so sure about that. Vick is undeniably injury prone, but does he really have a tendancy to get any one type of injury? He just seems fragile in general (military grade kevlar notwithstanding).

2. mjoedgaard says:

For me injury prone is a player there keeps getting dinged up and miss games here and there. I would call Allen and Maclin injury prone as well.