Poll: With the numbers projected over 16 games, would RG3 be in the conversation for MVP?

Texans DE J.J. Watt is on pace for 85 tackles and 25 sacks.  Bengals WR A.J. Green is on pace for 114 catches, 1674 yards, and 16 TDs.  (Golf clap for those guys).

But more often than not, the MVP award is going to go to a QB, or back when teams still ran the ball, the occasional running back would win it.  Let’s just look at the QBs, with their numbers projected over 16 games:

Obviously, Robert Griffin III’s yardage numbers are low in comparison, as are his TD passes, but he has the best completion % among the group as well as yards per attempt and the fewest number of INTs.  Plus, there’s this:

And he has done it without the impressive weapons that many of the above QBs have.

I’m not going to argue for or against any of the players below, but I’m interested in who you would give the MVP to if the season ended today:

1. [...] Robert Griffin III be a legitimate candidate for the NFL’s Most Valuable Player award this year? Jimmy Kempski at Blogging The Beast thinks so and says the numbers show RGIII is very much in the hunt. Not necessarily because of his passing [...]

2. [...] Is RGIII Headed for an MVP Season? Is RGIII Headed for an MVP Season? [...]

3. RGIII’s MVP chances are tied directly to the team’s ability to make the playoffs. If the Skins make the playoffs, RGIII would be MVP without question. He would be the sole reason why they were there, which is the very definition of MVP, isnt it?

4. [...] Only the Patriots have scored more points than the Redskins this year.  I’ll repeat that.  Only the Patriots have scored more points than the Redskins this year.  We’re heading into Week 7 now.  That’s not a fluke.  Still, that porous secondary looms large.  But there’s life in DC, and as I noted yesterday, RG3 is in contention for MVP. [...]

5. AJ says:

I don’t believe Big Ben, Rodgers, Brady, Peyton, or Ryan should be on this list. I think they are some of the better QBs in the game, and therefore are automatically put in the MVP conversation, but none of them are having a great year. Peyton has been terrible in almost every first half, and he gets way too much credit for the comeback against SD. That comeback never happens without the D turning over Rivers 5 times in the 2nd half. Rodgers arguably has not played like Rodgers until the Texans game. Take that game out and, his numbers aren’t super impressive. Big Ben has been lights out for the most part but has too many bad losses to this point (OAK and TEN) Brady is only 3-3 and, let’s not forget that they are running the ball much more in NE. Lastly, the Matural was in the race but has struggled in recent weeks, only to be bailed out by the other team. I do think Percy Harvin should be considered, as he has scored rushing, receiving and return TDs. I also think Jay Cutler is a better choice than the QBs I suggested taking out.

1. “I don’t believe Big Ben, Rodgers, Brady, Peyton, or Ryan should be on this list. I think they are some of the better QBs in the game, and therefore are automatically put in the MVP conversation”

Look at their numbers.

6. slandog says:

I’m curious to see how Vick’s numbers compare to these. He’s already got more INT’s then a few of the projections are calling for……that is just terrible QBing on Vick’s part.

Just goes to show the difference between a capable QB and one that’s not.

7. Roy says:

Regardless, I don’t think there’s any further question about whether he was worth what the Skins traded for him. If not MVP this year, then think about next year when he isn’t a rookie…

1. Thats the thought that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside….the same thought that makes the rest of the NFCE poop just a little bit in their pants

8. Ha, people hate Big Ben. The guy is on pace for 32-6, and he can’t get a vote.

1. Ben is my fantasy QB after I grabbing up all the RBs I could get my hands on (Foster, Run DMC, McGahee, LeShoure). Nobody recognizes it but he is playing lights out thus far. Their D is the problem.

9. SteveH says:

Imo none of the QBs are having an MVP caliber season so far, but JJ Watt is playing out of his mind. He should be the MVP if the season were to end today.

10. peter says:

this means squat if the skins finish 7-9 jim

11. NYG_slater says:

maybe RG3 would win if it ended today. but jimmy do you think his projection is sustainable? I doubt it, the more tape he puts out there the better prepared teams will be when they face him.

I’m not trying to take anything away from him, he’s been fu%$ing electric so far. But they are still 3-3 and after watching a couple games, its basically Baylor 2.0. Read option, Zone read, Read option-play action, hit the quick post. Sure they mix up the packages (sorta)–but they still spend way more than half their plays in shotgun or pistol. Isn’t this the same thing we saw last year with carolina?

1. I hear your point about opposing teams getting more tape on him to be better prepared, but the fact is that the Shannys have truly redefining their offense with RG3 at the helm. Each week they roll out more and more and have more and more wrinkles. At the same time, RGIII is improving each week and gaining confidence.

BTW Baylor is a Spread offense, not an option offense.

1. NYG_slater says:

spread offenses in college still feature zone reads and run pass options, In particular, RG3 won the heisman milking a trips zone read play all last year.

12. Bob says:

I would actually say Drew Brees, given that he is on track to break his own single season passing yards mark and throw 45 TDs. He won’t win it of course, because the Saints suck this year, but imo as it’s an individual award not a team one, so that shouldn’t matter.

Apart from him, Peyton because he has probably got the weakest supporting cast of the QBs within that top ballpark of numbers they are putting up.

1. slandog says:

Passing yards really mean nothing anymore. This is a passing league, has been for the past 5 years (at least) so of course the yardage numbers are going to go up. A better number to look at is completion % and INT. If the guy can complete a high % of passes and have low INT’s that is great in this day of the NFL.

Every QB anymore will be getting 4000+ yards. How many QB’s had over 5000 last season? It’s crazy how many, so high yardage isn’t all that impressive anymore when half the QB’s in the league throw for over 300 yards every week.

1. Bob says:

He’s projected to throw for 600 more yards than the next best guy. That’s a significant difference. There have only ever been 5 5,000 yard passing seasons, and 2 of them are by Brees. However you slice it, that means something.

1. slandog says:

Yeah and all but one have come in the last few years. In the years to come, until the leagues changes, their will be more and more. How many QB’s last season had over 4,500 yards? It’s crazy how many yards are being thrown for these days.

The NFL has been around for many years, and never before have we seen numbers like these. So it might mean something, but it’s very minimal in the MVP talk of things. It just means that all the rules have changed to benefit the offensive side of the ball and to score more points…..that’s all it really means.

1. Bob says:

That passing yards figures have gone up in general, yes. But he is still a large margin ahead of everyone else, and quite consistently from year to year as well. You cannot attribute that to rule changes.

13. Imp says:

Combined, RGIII would have 29 total TDs. When you have Ryan, P.Manning, and Rodgers all near-or-past 40 TDs, that’s kinda low for MVP. Not to mention the MVP award generally goes to a player on a playoff team and it’s iffy at best if Redskins make it to the playoffs.

Of course, I think it’s early to say who should be MVP and somewhat early to project an entire season stats. Like with RGII’s number, I doubt he ends the season with a 70% completion percentage. All it takes is one or two 50% games to bring that down and, with him being a rookie and all, is something we can assume he will have. Likewise, I’d be shock if he only throws 13 TD passes, something more like 16-18 would be closer I think.

Also, you left out Nick Foles in the MVP pole. How could you, man?!

14. mjoedgaard says:

Of the QBs, I would say a Manning brother or Rodgers, but I think JJ Watt should be the MVP.

My biggest reason for not saying RG3 is the lack of long passes and TDs passes. RG3s combined passing and rushing TDs and yards are lower than all the other QBs passing number beside Rodgers passing numbers.