Eagles fire Juan Castillo, secondary coach Todd Bowles to take over

Andy Reid will hold a press conference today at noon, so I’ll hold off on commentary until I hear what the Eagles have to say, but here were Andy Reid’s words on the firing, through the Eagles’ PR staff:

“I want to make it clear that I have nothing but the ultimate respect for Juan Castillo as a coach and as a person.  He’s one of the finest football coaches that I have ever worked with. He has served this organization extremely well for 18 years and letting him go was a difficult decision. I know he will continue to be a successful coach in this league and wish he and his family nothing but the best.

“We’re six games into the season and average isn’t good enough. I know the potential of our team and insist on maximizing it.”

That last sentence… Ouch.

If there’s a time to make this move, the beginning of the bye week would make sense, as would two days after a game in which the team blew a 4th quarter lead for the second consecutive week.  More to come…

1. DaCrock says:

I believe Reid made a mistake in naming Castillo DC in the first place (and said so at the time), but he compounded his error by not getting rid of him at the end of last season. Fortunately, there is a lot of talent on the defensive side of the ball for the Eagles, so by making a switch during the bye week, they have time to reassess how they want to deploy personnel. Bowles will probably be solid, but Reid’s decision-making overall is still suspect in my opinion. There is far too much talent on this team to be at the .500 mark over their last 22 games.

2. TylerD says:

I thought the Eagles D was pretty good, what are they going to do about all those turnovers that kills them.

3. seanrude says:

Jimmy, do you think this was Andy’s call or was his hand forced?

1. Reid’s presser at noon should reveal questions like this, even if he gives non-answers, but I think it’s Andy’s call. The owner doesn’t meddle. They probably already have a better DC on the staff anyway in Todd Bowles. Doubt Castillo would be gone if it wasn’t the bye week. This was the time to do it.

4. PhillieBirds says:

I mean I know that people are in a huff that he’s scapegoating Castillo even though the Offense is the problem but did anyone really think he’d make this move, let alone one to get rid of Marty. Baby steps people.

This just shows how much heat Andy Reid is finally feeling for the first time in his career. It was a fairly easy move to make with the replacement already in-house. People begged for heads to roll, and now they are complaining about the wrong heads. Never in a million years would Marty have been canned at this point, even if it is his unit struggling the most.

1. bula says:

you’re right. no way marty gets canned so soon. say what you want about balance and such, marty has a proven track record of fielding a productive offense that racks up yards and scores points

1. Brian says:

“marty has a proven track record of fielding a productive offense that racks up yards and scores points”

Exactly. The sad part is, people seem more concerned about the style than the substance. Marty has given the Eagles prolific offenses, but people really only seem to care about the run:pass ratio.

5. davesbeard says:

So he fires the co-ordinator who is coaching by far the best squad on this team (>offence and special teams) while Marty who is more of a strategic dreamer than a co-ordinator sits pretty. Don’t get it.

1. Brian says:

Just because its the best unit on the team doesn’t mean its doing well or living up to its potential.

The defense could be a lot better. IMO, that’s really the only reason this move was made.

6. Corry says:

Your mustache cost a man his job. Shame on you Jimmy.

1. Apologies to Juan. It’s like I altered the course of Eagles history with one brazen decision. I have to be careful with these new found powers moving forward.

1. mjoedgaard says:

Jimmy remember, if Bowles prove to turn this D into a Juggernaut, you have to take 100% credit.

1. Corry says:

Imagine your power if you had a ‘stache at Andy Reid’s under nose push broom.

1. Corry says:

*at the quality of Andy Reid’s under nose push broom.