If I were Tony Soprano…

David Scott, Rick Shavensky, Ronald Castrovinci, Rondell Taylor, Steve Stone, Timothy Griffin, Craig Burd, Brad Hudspeth, Craig Ochoa, Oscar Shorten, David Bernier, Larry Skarpa, John O’Brien, Jeffrey Garvin, Randy Weissenhofer, Joshua Thurow, David White, Mike Hannon, Ed Schmid, Alvin Thomas, Keith Norman, Barry Wilson, Peter Shafer, Bob Shoulders, Carl Madsen, Eugene Cunningham, John Schleyer, Mike Shepherd, Tim Keese, Tom Falcinetti, George Shinkan, Henry Zaborniak, Greg Sweeney, Mark Kelsay, Greg Maxwell, Donovan Briggans, Dennis Angel, Lynn Lawhon, Shannon Eastin, Eric Joe, Paul Caldera, Mike Fischer, Thaddious Foster, Mark Burns, Ted Campbell, Robert Frazer, Lemual Hawkins, Michael Bell, John Vachon, Calvin White, Corey Hendley, Greg Hay, Brian Stropolo, Jerry Frump, Brian Taylor, Bill Etzler, Charles Derrick, Jr., Tony Robinson, Randall Beesley, Larry Orrico, David Clisham, Bobby Jackson, Hugh Douglass, Mark Andrew, Charles Townsend, Bob Powell, Kent Intagliata, Jeff Corley, Robert Dalton, Richard “Matt” Nicks, Darin Stiers, Tony Brasuell, Tony Foster, Arthur Cook, Craig Patrick, Chris Atterberry, Jerry Hughes, John Petrone, Thurman Hardison, Derrick Smith, Jeff Hopf, Martin Peters, Michael Malito, Larry Farina, Kent Roan, Tim Morris, Kevin Akin, Eric Hoffman, Brian Burkhart, Dwayne Strozier, Michael Varner, McKinney Griffin, Jim Core, Glen Bamlet, Noel Strickland, Anthony Stroman, Raymond Dobson, Regan Foster, Tom Wohlleber, Jim Winterberg, Gerald Wright, Steve Sadowski, Thomas Gibson, Michael Wilmoth, George Trout, Guy Trawick, Aaron Schrein, Perry Hudspeth, Bruce Hermansen, Ali Shetula, Rodney Russell, Esteban Garza, Rusty Spindel, Mike Riley, Mark Wetzel, Jerome King, Jeff Otterby, Greg Nowak, Derra Ramsey, Kevin Peloquin, Dave Hale, Wayne Elliot, Marc Harrod, Kevin Stephenson, Joe Clark, Richard Simmons, Lance Easley, Derrick Rhone-Dunn, Paul Layne.

Those are the names of the officials that worked the first week of the preseason.

A few things to consider:

• All of the above people are temporary replacements.  They know that as soon as a deal is worked out with the unionized officials, they’re goners, likely never to be heard from again on any high officiating level.  In other words, in comparison to “professional” refs, they don’t have a lot to lose.
  • In today’s age of information and social media, if you have a name and the most minimal background on somebody, it’s extremely easy to contact them.
  • If you were to cluster 130 people of any background, there’s a pretty safe bet that at least a few of them are currently facing financial hardship.  Therefore, it’s probably safe to reason that at least of few of the 130 or so above names are also facing some sort of financial hardship, based simply on the number of names.
  • If there were an exceedingly large bet placed on… oh… say… Arizona St… it would get the attention of some people.  But in the NFL, large bets in Vegas are common on every Sunday.

I’m not Tony Soprano, but if I were involved in organized crime, I would be viewing the above list of names the same way a salesman views a list of companies to cold call.

1. Dan in Philly says:

^^^^ This.

2. Redskins Fan says:

Did I seriously see that this guy is one of the replacement refs?

“…Greg Nowak, Derra Ramsey, Kevin Peloquin, Dave Hale, Wayne Elliot, Marc Harrod, Kevin Stephenson, Joe Clark, Richard Simmons, Lance Easley, Derrick Rhone-Dunn, Paul Layne.”

3. Frank says:

If I were Tony Soprano……I would take out whoever decided to redesign BGN.

Seriously…I don’t think they could have made it more difficult to read even if they had tried.

4. Steve says:

estimates were between 150-250$ million because Seattle won, and covered the point spread.

5. SteveH says:

Hey, to this end, who was the guy who threw the flag on that bogus Sam Shields defensive pass interference penalty? Was it the same guy who signaled touchdown in the endzone?

6. SteveH says:

Now that would be some shit wouldn’t it? Talk about integrity of the game, that would be devastating for the NFL.

7. Gary says:

That would be so incredible. I really think these refs are just stupid, but who knows? Part of me wishes it would happen.

8. Dan in Philly says:

Oh, and since you’re Tony Soprano, can you explain what happened when I lost my cable signal that last episode? ;)

9. Dan in Philly says:

So far the refs are winning the PR war between the NFL and them, aren’t they? As Tim Donaghy can tell you, a full time official can be bribed as much as a part timer, can’t they?

I am not taking sides here, but I have noticed the following memes regarding the officials, all of which side with the union:
    Initially it was the replacements are trying hard but the game is too fast for them
    Then it was the NFL doesn’t care about safety, and only the regular refs can ensure player safety.
    At some point I think it was Lary King came out and said the replacements are scabs stealing money from the honest union workers.
    Now we are at the point of accusing the replacements of bribery – you didn’t think of the meme Jimmy, on the front page of ESPN last I looked there was a note about how much money was won/lost on that one play, with the obvious implication spelled out in your blog amoung others.

Again, not taking sides, but it’s amazing considering how well the owners were placed to win the PR war with the players how much they’re getting crushed on this.

10. Steag209 says:

That was the first thing that popped into my head yesterday, and really, when they announced they were going forward with the replacements. There’s a good reason why the real refs are paid so much for a part time job.

11. Todd B says:

Not me. I think the guy at the end of the Packers/Seahawks game caved too the crowd thinking the automatic booth review would bail him out.

Unfortunately, the play was not reviewable which is REALLY the problem, isn’t it? Why can’t possession be reviewed?

1. Todd B says:

..caved TO the crowd…..geesh my grammar blows today.

2. Possession can be reviewed.

1. Todd B. says:

Then what was the reason why they did not review it?

3. For the record, not saying that’s what happened last night… but it IS something that the NFL has made a lot more possible.

12. Rick says:

Exactly what I was thinking.

13. ATLeagle says:

At first I was afraid that you were putting hits out on all these guys. They havent been perfect, but dont deserve death!

14. Frencheagles says:

I really thought about that after the end of the Packers-Seahawks game…

1. djthekidd says:

Was the first thing that popped into my head. A metric ton of money changed hands in Vegas last night.