Last night’s Cowboys-Giants game was eerily similar to Giants-Eagles in Week 3 last season

Heading into the Week 3 Eagles-Giants game at Lincoln Financial Field last season, the Eagles were favored over the Giants, and at the time they were still thought by most people to be the favorite to win the NFC East.  They had owned the Giants in recent years, having rattled off six consecutive wins over their division rival, with the latest victory being the totally demoralizing “Miracle at the Meadowlands” game, capped off by a DeSean Jackson punt return TD, which all but ruined the Giants’ season.

Heading into last night’s game, the Giants were favored over the Cowboys, with many people having the Giants slated to take the NFC East this season.  In a similar way to the Eagles’ ownership of the Giants, the Giants swept the Cowboys last season, as they too won a crucial game on a game-ending play on special teams when Jason Pierre-Paul blocked Dan Bailey’s would-be game tying FG attempt.

Some other similarities:

Eagles-Giants Week 3 last year: With the score still 0-0, the Eagles were rolling right along, poised to take an early lead, making their way into the red zone, when a Michael Vick pass slipped through the hands of Steve Smith and into the hands of Aaron Ross for the interception.

Giants-Cowboys last night: With the score still 0-0, the Giants were in the midst of an impressive 58 yard drive inside the Cowboys’ 30, when rookie David Wilson coughed up the football, which the Cowboys recovered.

Eagles-Giants Week 3 last year: The Giants had a WR with 0 career TD receptions by the name of Victor Cruz that nobody ever heard of that went off for 110 receiving yards and 2 TDs.

Giants-Cowboys last night: Kevin Ogletree (also 0 career TD receptions coming into the game) went off for 114 yards and 2 TDs.

Eagles-Giants Week 3 last year: The Eagles’ best CB, Nnamdi Asomugha, was roasted by the above corresponding “no-name WR.”

Giants-Cowboys last night: The Giants’ best CB, Corey Webster, was roasted by the above corresponding “no-name WR.”

Eagles-Giants Week 3 last year: With a 1st and Goal at the 2, the Eagles ran the ball 3 times and couldn’t punch it in.  Despite employing one of the best running backs in the league, they handed the ball… twice… to FB Owen Schmitt, and called a QB sneak with Michael Vick, who had earlier taken a shot to the head.  Let’s just say Philly fans weren’t thrilled about the play calling there.  They settled for 3.

Giants-Cowboys last night: With 1st and Goal from the 1, the Giants, despite not having shown any ability to gain yards on the ground, tried to punch it in on 1st and 2nd down.  They lost 3 yards on those 2 plays.  On third down, they passed, and Orlando Scandrick should have been flagged for defensive holding, but the officials missed the obvious call.  They too settled for 3, and their fans were less than thrilled with the play calling on that series.

Eagles-Giants Week 3 last year: Eli Manning’s 2nd half numbers: 7 of 9, 111 yards, 2 TD, 0 INT, perfect 158.3 QB rating

Giants-Cowboys last night: Tony Romo’s 2nd half numbers: 11 of 14, 185 yards, 2 TD, 0 INT, perfect 158.3 QB rating

The only logical conclusion to be made here is that the Cowboys are going to win the Super Bowl.

Be sure to follow Blogging the bEast on Twitter and like Blogging the bEast on Facebook.

1. Tyler D says:

Only problem with the last line is, the Cowboys have two nemisis they have a hard time beating in their division. Although the Giants might have had their number of late, the Eagles and Cowboy games have not even been competitive.

2. Willgfass says:

Got a big laugh from me on that last one.

3. matt.h313 says:

I could be wrong but I don’t think Corey Webster was the one at fault for Ogletree’s big night. From what I remember he was matched up against Dez mostly and Miles occasionally.

1. Jimmy Kempski says:

Webster gave up the long TD on the double move.

1. Rich says:

Yeah, he gave up one of the two biggies and it’s not like he handled Dez well either.

4. Dave King says:

Another trend: The last few years the team that has handed the Eagles their first home loss has gone on to win the Super Bowl. So, if you’re not putting money on Baltimore… will the Eagles go undefeated until the first Dallas game?

1. JohnGiam says:

cowboys did alot right last night, but they dont scare me the least bit as an eagles fan. Lets be honest, the giants were all sorts of screwed up last night. Like last year, the EAGLES will HANDLE the division opponents. Its outside divisional playoff opponents that scare me, since andy’s record in that regaurd is worrysome. But inside the division, we will BURY the giants and cowboys this year…when the eagles starts playing the ravens, lions, steelers….thats when it gets interesting, and that will determine how good this eagles team is.

I hate the cowboys and giants, but have to admit how much I love watching Jason Pierre Paul and Demarcus Ware play….absolute Studs! Thats when we miss Jason Peters the most. Because of the Dends in this division, I kinda hoped that they moved Herams back to the right side. Dunlap/bell better get a ton of tight end help while playing divisional games. orakpo is nothing to sneeze at either

5. John Giam says:

wow…that was an eery comparison to the eagles game of last year… questions, i need help answering:

I love this eagles team. I really do, and I pride myself on not being a negadelphian and being a realist…but Juan really scares me!! First of all, can anyone name a currently employed defensive coorinator from 31 other teams who you would rather have juan instead of? How many defenive coordinators wouldnt trade their entire defensive roster straight up for ours? I think 98% of DC in the league today would swap defensive personel with the eagles in a heartbeat…yet we arent one of the top defenses. Where did juan castillo get a defensive system? Did he google defensive schemes, and just pick one that he liked? ALL KIDDING ASIDE, where did he get a defensive scheme from? has anyone ever asked him? where did such an unexperienced defensive coach get a scheme that fit with one of the rarest and most unorthiodox defensive front 4 alignment (the wide 9)? I love the fact that we have todd bowles on board, but todd bowles wont be making the in game calls to counter experienced offensive coorinators during in game situations… I love the pressure that the wide 9 gets us…but lets be logical. we have a defensive coordinator who is so experienced on defense that its practically unheard of…and we pair that ridiculously inexperienced coorinator with the rarest defensive line alignment (the wide 9)…this is really starting to bug me out. and what scares me more is the belief that I have in this years defensive personel. Take the wide 9 and schemes out of the equation, and look at it strictly from player personel…i have to think that defensive coordinators around the league would be drooling to coach this collection of defensive talent..of course, d coordinators shunned us for reasons like the wide 9, and juan castillo…but from a player personel, what more do you want (yes I know a safety and a weakside backer). so if we already have top defensive personel all around the board, and we arent close to being the best defense…that falls on coaching!!!!!!!

1. Christian Vigna says:

They haven’t played a game in 2012 that counts and you are already denouncing the coaching of the D? Isn’t this a tad premature?

1. JohnGiam says:

I havent denounced anything. Im simply asking valid questions that I would love to know the answer to. seriously, does anyone have a clue where Juan learned his scheme? DC’s get THEIR schemes after working their way up the ranks from defensive position coaches, that are basically apprenticing under the DC. Juan never did ANY of that. I think a valid question is to ask a man that hasnt coached defense since the freaking hisgh school level, where he got the scheme that he is using at the professional level? How is that not a valid question? how doesnt every single person lining in PHILLY not want to know the answer to that? The saying is that good coordinators and coaches tailo. their scheme around the players, and I havent seen a single glimpse of that yet. To be able to do that, one must have extensive defensive knowledge about various schemes, and what scheme works against what…Did Juan aquire all this knowledge through osmosis while he was focused on the O-line for years? How many different schemes does he have extensive knowledge in? Did he have knowledgde of 3 schemes, looked at the personel and chose the scheme he fit them best, or did he just know 1 scheme, so thats the scheme the players need to play? I dont care how great this defense is, without knowing the answers to these questions, i cant ever stop wondering how great we could be with this personel with a real experienced coach leading the fantastic defensive roster.

Im pumped for this team. Andy is a fantastic coach. I love this roster…but no matter who great this defense becomes, I cant help but wonder what it could be with an experienced coordinator at the helm. Trust me, more then anyone I wish Juan all the success in the world, but where exactly am I finding the confidence to believe and trust in Juan? Im not saying its all juan’s fault, but I dont think anyone can dispute that every defender with the exception of the D-line, looked flat out CONFUSED last year. I am aware of the factors outside of juans control that contributed to that, so spare me ftrom them in your rebutal.

Put it to you this way, I would sleep much better at night, if Todd Bowles was the one making the in game calls during the fire instead of Juan

6. Benj says:

If that last line comes true, I think you’d lose a lot of readership solely due to a rash of suicides.

1. ATLeagle says:

I am already tieing knots in ropes…

7. Derf Diggy says:

Jimmy Jinx!

8. David_Does_Dallas says:

Jimmy your prediction about Spencer being the best edge setter in the league looks like it may come true! Did you see him on that goal line stand? He was like an artist on that edge.

9. TJ says:

Well played

10. Very strange indeed. Oh well, can’t wait til Sunday.

11. Smitty2K3 says:

Wow. That is eerily almost-identical.

But that last line just made me throw up in my mouth.

12. TJ says:

I agree 100% with the last line.

1. Todd B. says:

“Be sure to follow Blogging the bEast on Twitter and like Blogging the bEast on Facebook.”

Yes! I agree with that last line as well.