• Tommy and I recorded a show yesterday. Tommy talked about the four new Eagles acquisitions: T/G Nate Menkin, S David Sims, WR B.J. Cunningham, and C Chase Beeler. I talked about stuff like Jon Dorenbos selfishly not affecting games by choosing not to use witchcraft, and how Sav Rocca is like Steve Urkel’s cloned twin with swag, Stefan Urquelle. We also got into the Eagles’ youth a little bit.
• The NFC East’s updated practice squads:
|Chase Ford, TE||Matt Broha, DE||Ben Bass, DE||Tom Compton, OT|
|Emil Igwenagu, FB||Selvish Capers, OT||Tim Benford, WR||Doug Worthington, DE|
|Marvin McNutt, WR||Larry Donnell, TE||Rob Callaway, DT||Emmanuel Arceneaux, WR|
|B.J. Cunningham, WR||David Douglas, WR||Danny Coale, WR||DeAngelo Peterson, TE|
|Ryan Rau, LB||Stephen Goodin, G||Lance Dunbar, RB||Antwon Bailey, RB|
|Chase Beeler, C||Craig Marshall, DE||Ronald Leary, G||Darryl Gamble, LB|
|Frank Trotter, DT||Matt McCants, OT||Orie Lemon, LB||Jason Shirley, NT|
|(Empty)||Laron Scott, CB||Jamize Olawale, RB||(Empty)|
• There are 24 players listed on the Giants and Cowboys injury report. Crazy. Teams will designate players as probable, questionable, etc., on Tuesday.
• Tom Coughlin named Sean Locklear the Giants’ starting LT. I’m sure Redskins fans will say “Good luck with allllll that, Giants.” (Locklear was a Redskin last year, and not a very good one.) His first test? None other than DeMarcus Ware on national TV, in a game that is likely to shatter some TV ratings records. Expect the Giants to give Locklear a ton of help in the form of Ahmad Bradshaw and Martellus Bennett.
• David Wilson has some (cough) lofty goals this season, per Alex Raskin of CBS:
- “Five yards per carry”
- “Score at least 10 touchdowns”
- “No sacks” allowed on “my behalf”
- “A play of at least 20 yards” in every game
- “At least six 100-yard games”
- “No fumbles.”
I attended 2 practices at Giants OTAs and 2 training camp practices. That’s not a ton of time logged there, but it was enough for me to see that David Wilson has an absurd amount of talent. However, he’s going to have to win the trust of Eli Manning to get playing time. Can he pass protect? Will he be in the exact spot Eli needs him when he goes out into pass patterns? Can he understand/diagnose what the defense is trying to do? Can he hold onto the football? (Fumbles were a major issue for Wilson at VT). If so, he’ll get plenty of playing time. There’s a thinking in the NFL that RB is the easiest position in the pros to learn, because you’re jut taking the football and running with it. To some degree, that’s true, but I don’t think it fully applies to a head coach like Tom Coughlin, who is a lot more hesitant to trust rookies, especially early in the season. I do like that Wilson is setting goals, even if they’re totally unrealistic.
• In the comment section of my Cowboys’ 3rd QB post yesterday, “TrackCoachRyan” had an interesting thought: Mike Kafka to the Cowboys. It makes a ton of sense, in my opinion:
- Kafka, in my opinion, is an upgrade over Stephen McGee.
- The Cowboys’ offense doesn’t necessitate a QB with a howitzer, or at least it has operated with under a QB without one for the last half decade. That has always been the knock on Kafka: Arm strength. However, he does move around in the pocket well, and is smart and accurate.
- Quick learner.
- He could provide intelligence on the Eagles’ offense. Remember the reports that Kevin Kolb was calling out the Eagles’ signals when the Cardinals played Philly last year?
• Mike Jenkins finally practiced yesterday. First time since 2011, as noted by Nick Eatman.
• Joselio Hanson signed with the Raiders, per Adam Caplan. He’ll join Keenan Clayton there.
• Sucky couple of days for Julian Vandervelde. He thought he made the Eagles’ 53 man roster, only to be cut the next day when they traded for S David Sims and had to release a player to make room. Then the Buccaneers signed him, only to cut him a day later as well.