• A couple of former NFCE CBs were in action in Week 2 of the preseason, and both had some bad moments:
- Asante Samuel got absolutely roasted by AJ Green last night for a long TD. Green gave a vicious little double move and ran right by Asante. It was even close. Green had also beaten Asante deep earlier in the game, but only an underthrown pass from Andy Dalton saved him. In fairness to Asante, Green is an immense talent, but that was not the showing Falcons fans were looking for.
- Terence Newman had two pass interference calls go against him last night. On one of them, Julio Jones was about to break away from Newman and it probably would have been a huge gain, but Newman reached out and grabbed him. Ugly. The other was on a shorter pass in which he got to the receiver early, but actually had a nice break on the ball. He did not get hurdled.
• The Lions claimed injured/waived offensive lineman Bill Nagy. The Cowboys are the second team to lose a player that way, which had previously been an unwritten no-no around the league. The first was the Giants, when they lost Jake Ballard to the Giants. Both the Giants and Cowboys goofed here. The Cowboys had interest in keeping Nagy, per David Moore of SportsDayDFW.
“The Cowboys hoped that Bill Nagy, who was waived/injured earlier in the week, would pass through unclaimed so they could re-sign him and put the guard/center on injured reserve.”
• Jeff Demps, the Olympic Gold Medalist and former Florida Gator RB, was available for the taking. I don’t know if there were any reports coming out of the Cowboys, Redskins, or Giants buildings about any level of interest, but the Eagles were thought to be “intrigued.” Frankly, I’m nt sure how all 32 teams wouldn’t be “intrigued” at a minimum. Guys with this type of speed don’t grow on trees:
• The Eagles get the Browns Week 1, and the Giants get them Week 5. The Cowboys and Redskins will get them later in the season. In case you’re wondering how Brandon Weeden is doing so far, here’s video of all his passes from his first preseason game, courtesy of @Jmpasq (definitely worth the Twitter follow). Some good here (first pass of the game, passes to Greg Little in the red zone, and Jordan Norwood at the end of the half) and some bad (awful “what are you doing” pass to AJ Hawk, and an ill-advised pre-meditated throw to the sideline that should have been picked). His receivers also dropped a few easy ones.
• For the low low price of $35, you can buy an Andrew Luck – RG3 preseason rivalry T-shirt. Seriously.
• For anyone still interested in what Kevin Kolb is up to, here’s what Raiders DE Tommy Kelly had to say about him:
“He is skittish. He is scared back there,” Kelly said. “Anytime anybody gets close to him he starts looking at the refs. As a defensive lineman you love a quarterback like that. He ain’t even trying to look at the routes no more. He is paying attention to us and you ain’t going to get nothing done like that.”