Apologies to my Cowboys, Giants, and Redskins friends. It has been very Eagles-centric here over the last few days, since I’ve been going to their camp. I have some catching up to do on the the rest of the division:
– The Cowboys placed five players on their PUP list: CB Mike Jenkins (shoulder), G Mackenzy Bernadeau (hip), rookie 5th round pick Danny Coale (broken foot), C/G Kevin Kowalski (ankle), and a surprise name, 4th round pick S Matt Johnson, with a hamstring injury. The explanation from Jason Garrett on Johnson’s hamstring:
“Matt was one of those guys who missed the offseason because he was (still taking college classes) and was not able to participate in any of our offseason practices,” Garrett said. “He tweaked his hamstring about a month ago and was rehabbing that. He did go through the conditioning test yesterday and we really advised him if it gets tight at all on you stop. That’s what he did.
“He’s going to miss some time. He’s not going to participate over the next three days and we don’t anticipate him practicing initially next week in training camp. Somebody asked earlier about the importance of reps. Matt’s behind in that regard. He’s doing everything he can to stay engaged with our team and understands what we’re trying to teach. Hopefully, as we get into training camp, he’ll be able to improve and catch up quickly.”
I know some Cowboys fans aren’t completely sold on Brodney Pool coming in and being an effective starter opposite Gerald Sensabaugh on the back end. I sure as hell know that I’m not sold on Pool. It was probably a long shot for Matt Johnson to make the jump from a Division I-AA school to an immediate starter in the pros, but his invaluable missed time in camp further makes that less of a reality.
Also, speaking of Sensabaugh, he’s “50/50” for the start of camp.
Continued after the jump…
– Keeping with the Dallas secondary, I like that the Cowboys tested Morris Claiborne on the very first play. Claiborne reportedly “looked rusty” on his first day.
– My buddy Raf will be attending Cowboys camp for two weeks, beginning on Monday. I would assume that most of my Cowboys readers are following him on Twitter, but if not, here he is.
– The Giants are the Super Bowl Champions, as we are all well aware. With victory comes spoils. And so, the Giants have done their fair share of chirping this offseason. That’s cool. I have no problem with that. But at some point, you can just start sounding like an asshole. That would be Osi Umenyiora, who said that RG3 doesn’t deserve to be called RG3 until he has done something in the NFL:
“Who is this RG3 guy you guys keep talking about?’’ Umenyiora said. “You talking about Bob Griffin? You guys are giving him a cool nickname already and everything.
“When he does anything in the NFL we’re gonna call him RG3. Right now he’s Bob Griffin.”
For one, the Redskins smoked the Giants last year… twice. Didn’t just beat them… smoked them. So maybe Osi should leave the Redskins out of the his shit-storm of shit-talk. Furthermore, while I realize that Osi’s premise is that he needs to do something in the pros before he gets respect, RG3 did, you know, win a Heisman Trophy. That’s kind of a big deal, as far as individual achievements go. And is “Bob Griffin” really even that funny? I mean… First Osi wishes LeSean McCoy a Happy Mother’s Day (haha, I get it, it’s funny because he said he’s a woman), then apologized for it when women were rightfully pissed, because really, if you replace “woman” with race, religion or sexual orientation, it’s basically the same thing but far less socially acceptable. So please Osi… enough with the snaps. You suck at it.
RG3, meanwhile, when asked about it, responded with the equivalent of a “Meh.”
– Regarding Giants’ TC, not that anyone is on the edge of their seat awaiting my Giants coverage, but I’ll be up at Albany August 6-8. That’s all I have planned as of today, but I’m trying to carve out some extra time when I can make a second trip up to see them.
– Redskins UDFA CB Chase Minnifield was waived. The Redskins were excited about Minnifield in minicamp, and in turn Redskins fans got excited about him, and then bam… in the blink of an eye… done-zo. He’ll go through waivers and if nobody claims him, Minnifield will go on the Redskins’ IR. (UPDATE: He did in fact clear waivers.)
– In previous posts, I mentioned that Tommy Lawlor of IgglesBlitz and I were launching a podcast soon. We’ve recorded 4 episodes already, although a few of them are already outdated. That’s OK. They were good for practice. Anyway, I finally figured out how to actually get them on the website for public consumption, which is an underrated detail. We’ll probably be launching it tomorrow morning.