Eagles training camp recap: Day 3, July 25, 2012: Cliff Harris keeps making plays, bad day for the QBs

Short day today.  Morning practice only, but they did run some 7 on 7′s and 11 on 11′s.  Let’s just get right to it:

• Mike Kafka had a really ugly day.  The worst of his passes was a semi-deep ball that was horribly under-thrown and easily picked off by Brandon Boykin.  His pass needed about 45 yards on it.  Only went about 35.  Later he threw too high for Damaris Johnson, who got a hand up and knocked the pass in the air where it was picked off by Wade Bonner.  Next play (I think), Kafka threw to a spot near the sideline, where there wasn’t a receiver within 10 yards (although that could have been a matter of a receiver running a wrong route).  I’ve seen more good than bad from Kafka so far this summer, but this was just a bad day through and through, as the defensive rookies dominated all day.
  • The star of rookie camp, Cliff Harris had another big day.  He intercepted a pass intended for Damaris Johnson.  Both Johnson and Harris caught the ball simultaneously, but Harris won the wrestling match for the football.  I’m pretty sure Harris leads the league in rookie camp interceptions.  But the more impressive play was a PBU by Harris in the end zone.  A WR flashed in front of Harris’ zone, and Harris was able to jump over the receiver and bat the ball down.  Really well done – got a big response from the rest of the D.  I think that Harris, by far and away, helped himself the most over the last 3 days.
  • Marvin McNutt had 82 catches at Iowa last year.  I didn’t see him catch anything today, and I’m having trouble recalling anything at all about him since camp opened.  Yesterday, he was unable to beat a jam by Brandon Boykin.  Today, Boykin was on him again, an while McNutt did a better job getting off the line of scrimmage, he never got a whiff of separation from Boykin.

Continued after the jump…

• The one receiver that has been making catches all over the field has been Ronald Johnson.  Nothing spectacular just yet, but I notice him repeatedly.
  • Mychal Kendricks had another good day.  He made a diving pick in front of Jeremy Stewart.  I think most linebackers would have been happy to just get a hand on the ball.  Kendricks looked to make the big play and came away with the pick.  Obvious athleticism.
  • I like Phillip Thomas, the undrafted safety out of Syracuse.  Very vocal.  He’s calling out the defensive pre-snap adjustments, and doing so confidently.
  • After practice, Andy Reid spoke.  Nothing much there.  Of note is that newly signed punter Mat McBriar’s plant foot is not fully healed yet.  Reid said the foot is 90%.  He said the injury is nerve damage, similar to former Eagles safety JR Reed, but not as severe.  And for those of you Eagle fans that are thinking about heading out to Lehigh to take in a practice, hitting will likely begin Saturday.

You can follow me on Twitter @Jimmy_Beast for live, in-practice tweets.

1. Albina says:

hi, great post. i really admire your work and ihttp://www.boliche.com.br/email.htm

2. Catrina says:

interesting discussionhttp://www.maladiretasegmentada.com.br

3. Élias says:

you know, your blog is very well written, very close to lifehttp://www.divulgaemail.com

4. Thank you incredibly substantially for your exciting text. I have been looking for these types of message to get a definitely very long time. Thank you.

5. Adna says:

thanks for the posthttp://www.boliche.com.br/email.htm

6. Clarice says:

thanks for the posthttp://www.busquemail.com.br

7. Eleonor says:

you said it right, thanks for all the reliable informationhttp://www.acertemail.com

8. I have been exploring for a little bit for any high-quality articles or blog posts on this sort of area . Exploring in Yahoo I ultimately stumbled upon this web site. Studying this info So i am glad to convey that I’ve an incredibly excellent uncanny feeling I discovered just what I needed. I most definitely will make certain to do not omit this website and give it a look on a continuing basis.

9. Pal says:

Never been to Eagles training camp, but I am taking my son next week. How long do the Morning and Afternoon practices run? Can’t find that anywhere online.

Thanks for the other camp updates. Can’t wait to see the new players with my own eyes.

10. Luke Mrzljak says:

Just found this blog today, gold. Pure gold. Thank you for what you’re doing, job well done. I’ll be sure to donate, keep it up!

11. Eaglesfanatlarge says:

I am pleased to be with read this website that is for intelligent comment. I be most probab tell all friends. Also, sure not forget Maclyn Sux. Also, will tell persons Eff you, we’re winning anyway.

12. [...] Practice notes from Jimmy Bama. [...]

13. Tracer Bullet says:

I’m really curious about Thomas. I doubthe makes the roster this year unless Jarrett is truly putrid, Atogwe is done or they carry five safeties (and Anderson might have the inside track in that case) but if they can stash him on the practice squad, I think he might be a player in 2013.

14. ICDogg says:

I had a similar injury to JR Reed. There is no such thing as that injury being 90%. The nerve is like a switch that’s either on or off. I couldn’t lift my foot for a couple of months. Then, as quickly as the injury occurred, it worked as if the injury never happened. There was no transition. Strangest injury I ever had.

(In my case, the nerve was probably just pinched or twisted, not severed like Reed’s probably was).

To mitigate this injury, if permanent, some people wear something to keep their foot from flopping down. You can still use side-to-side movement of the foot to drive a car, so for everyday life it is not the worst injury in the world.

15. Jon says:

Hows Foles looking?

1. Looked really good in OTAs/minicamp. Hasn’t stood out either way in rookie camp.

16. Immynimmy says:

Forgive me, but who the hell is Wade Bonner?

17. Anders says:

I really think this UDFA class could become really good for the Eagles. Polk dropped because of bad shoulder but he still produced with it. We got several guys there missed time in college but would have been high or mid round picks if not for the suspensions and then we got Ford there got potential and we also got the FB there dropped because he is a FB.

18. iskar36 says:

Could you say a bit more about how Kafka has been looking overall? I keep hearing people say he has looked good/ok but it seems anytime someone talks about any specific plays involving Kafka, it is a poorly thrown ball and/or an interception. On top of that, considering he is in his 3rd year, shouldn’t we be expecting him to stand out a bit relative to others at this camp? Is playing “good” enough of a positive right now for the team to be happy with Kafka’s progress?

1. I don’t think Kafka is a “wow” throw kind of guy, so it’s very unlikely any of the reporters are going to tweet something like, “Great throw by Kafka! He fired a 30 yard laser in between three defenders.” But if he gets picked off, you WILL see that.

I think “good” is OK for Kafka. Nobody has him projected to ever be a legitimate starter in the NFL, but the team has so much much talent up and down the roster that just “good” can win games if need be. But you definitely don’t want to see much more of how he played today.

1. iskar36 says:

That is a good point about Kafka not having the “wow” kind of throws. That being said, I was hoping to hear some more positives on Kafka, such as “Kafka has been seeing the field well and finding the open receiver” or “Kafka has been throwing accurate passes and hitting WRs on the run.” Hearing “he has looked good” from a few people without any reference to what has looked good has seemed a bit ambiguous to me, but I certainly trust your analysis.

For me though, backup QB and safety are among the two biggest/most obvious question marks on the team right now. Handing the backup spot to a guy that as you put it “nobody has him projected to ever be a legitimate starter in the NFL” seems to be a fairly risky move, especially with an injury prone QB like Vick. I have felt all offseason that at the very least they should challenge him with someone and make him earn the backup role. The comment “the team has so much talent up and down the roster that just ‘good’ (in training camp against basically all rookies) can win games if need be” is an easy one to make, but the QB still has to be able to distribute the ball effectively enough to those weapons for this offense to succeed.

19. Mark in Louisville says:

Jimmy how long are you in camp this year?

Keep up the great work.

-Thanks for answering the Phillip Thomas question

1. Thanks. I’ll be there for the entirety of training camp, with the exception of a 3 day excursion to Albany to check out the Giants.