According to the National Football Post, the Eagles have signed Mat McBriar away from the Dallas Cowboys.  McBriar worked out for the Eagles on Monday, and the Cowboys yesterday.  Mat’s wife Erin tweeted late last night that a decision would be made this morning.

Yesterday I spoke with Eagles special teams coach Bobby April.  Here’s what he said about Mat McBriar:

A reporter mentioned that the punters they brought in are established vets, and not just “camp bodies,” which April agreed with.  The first punter he mentioned (on his own) was McBriar.  He said “McBriar has had as good a career as anybody playing.  He’s right up there, top 2 or 3.  I don’t know how it’s going to work out, I don’t know that negotiating/financial end of things.”  April also thought McBriar’s previously injured plant foot looked fine in his workout.  The impression I got was that if April had his pick of the litter, it would be McBriar, and the “negotiating/financial” quote could be an indication that the Eagles and McBriar may already be discussing a contract.  To be determined if Howie Roseman gets him his new toy. I know Cowboys fans won’t be very thrilled with that development, should it happen.

April said that Chas Henry needs to improve, and wants competition for him.  He noted that Henry is a talented guy, but needs to be more consistent.  April also noted that very few rookie punters do well their first year in the league, and thought he did well for a rookie, especially an undrafted one.  (For the record, I’m not so sure I agree Henry had a good season last year, even for a rookie).  “We want competition to enhance his ability or competition that can surpass his ability.”

This is most certainly not a “camp body” signing.  Mat McBriar is a two-time Pro Bowl punter, and if his plant foot is healthy, he has to be viewed as the clear-cut favorite to win this job.

More details on Briar’s plant foot injury here.

Also, McBriar struggled with holding for FGs a few years back with kicker Nick Folk in Dallas.  Some more on that here.

Update: The Eagles have confirmed the signing. They have until 4pm to cut a guy to make room for McBriar.

1. My Homepage says:

… [Trackback]…

[...] Read More here: bloggingthebeast.com/2012/07/25/eagles-sign-punter-mat-mcbriar-away-from-the-cowboys-according-to-national-football-post/ [...]…

2. I’d prefer to uslysht a bit a lot more on this subject

3. What you said made a lot of sense. But, think about this, what if you added a little content? I mean, I dont want to tell you how to run your blog, but what if you added something to maybe get peoples attention? Just like a video or a picture or two to get people excited about what youve got to say. In my opinion, it would make your blog come to life a little bit.

4. Euler.is.a.pimp says:

Just like the Eagles. They pick up the star free agent rather than building through the draft and maintaining consistency. It’s like they learned nothing from last year.

1. Brian says:

Not sure if serious…

5. Charlene says:

you said it right, thanks for all the reliable informationhttp://www.boliche.com.br/email.htm

6. I appreciate, cause I discovered just what I used to be taking a look for. You’ve ended my 4 day lengthy hunt! God Bless you man. Have a nice day. Bye

7. [...] Eagles sign punter Mat McBriar away from the Cowboys, according to National Football Post [...]

8. yehti says:

good signing for the Eagles. Mcb is a deff weapon when healthy. very sad to see him not in Dallas but it is a buisness and Im sure he made the best decision for his family. congrats Eagle fans

9. Steve says:

I can’t wait to read the comments on Blogging the Boys today- he’ll be called a traitor, washed up, and everything else under the sun. Glad he signed with us :)

1. Tracer Bullet says:

Glad I’m not the only one who enjoys the delicious, buttery-rich taste of Cowboy Pain.

1. yehti says:

Think we all like opposing team pains. I am just happy he was able to come back and kick for someone.

2. DerfDiggy says:

Except…he’s not. In fact, BTB article pretty much wished him well. Seems like more of an indication that the Boys brass like what they see in the 23 youngster(Chris Jones).

10. Steve D. says:

Great signing, but the holding thing makes me nervous. Maybe we can bring back Koy Detmer!

1. ian no. 2 says:

Jason Avant may become the holder.

The Eagles can carry a punter with an injury concern more easily because Alex Henery can also punt. He’s supposedly pretty good at it.

1. ct17 says:

Henery punted in college at Nebraska

2. ameero2 says:

The holding issue isn’t a problem, Nick Folk was struggling at the time and blamed the holds, he was cut soon after, if briar’s foot is fine he can hold.

11. Kyle says:

Fantastic move if he’s healthy. Back in 2009 when the Eagles were absolutely demolished by the Cowboys two weeks in a row, McBriar was booming punts and pinning the Eagles deep in their own territory. I still maintain that a big reason the Cowboys dominated those games the way they did was because they were dominating the field position battle with Mat McBriar and David Buehler (who was crushing the ball on kickoffs at the time). I’m glad he’s decided to team up with the good guys.

1. I vaguely remember that. Good call. Might have to go back and look at that game.