A bunch of Howard Mudd nuggets… Muggets, perhaps?

Howard Mudd was already speaking with reporters when I sidled up and turned on the recorder. I’m not sure how long he talked before I got there, but I recorded him talking for over 26 minutes.  There isn’t a better interview affiliated with the Eagles than Howard Mudd.  He said so much, that I figured I’d just paraphrase him in bullet points:

• Mudd doesn’t expect his OL to block any differently protecting a slow-footed quick-release QB like Peyton Manning than he does with such a fast, elusive QB that tends to hold onto the ball longer like Michael Vick.  To emphasize the point, he said “We (can only protect) a throwing spot,” and put his water bottle down on the table as if it were the QB his OL was trying to protect. “Do I expect Michael to throw (from that spot) every time? Probably not, because you’re taking away his athleticism.”
  • Mudd and Vick talk a lot.  He’s not trying to “coach the QB,” but they meet quite a bit so Mudd can help Vick understand blocking schemes.
  • Says Vick is “highly motivated to succeed.”  He wants to overcome his instinct to just take off and run “when a little something goes wrong.”  Likes him as a person, respects his work ethic.
  • One thing they really stress is the depth of the pocket, since Vick is short.  The more space the OL can give him in the pocket, the better.  Obviously, this is the case with any QB, but the idea is that they don’t want to concede any ground.
  • Mudd didn’t know how they could more effectively cut down on batted passes at the line (Vick has 14 passes batted at the line last year, according to PFF. That was the 2nd highest total in the league, even with Vick missing significant time).

Much more after the jump…

• More trust this year between Jason Kelce and Vick.
  • Danny Watkins and Jason Kelce are much further along this year than last.
  • The more difficult adjustment for a guy like Todd Herremans was the move from guard to tackle, more so than Juan Castillo’s style of blocking to Mudd’s.
  • Jason Peters blocked a lot of the best pass rushers in the league one-on-one last year.  That probably won’t change with Demetress Bell.  They probably won’t give him more help.  “We don’t have to invent a new offense because Jason Peters isn’t here.”
  • Julian Vandervelde is going to see action at C during the preseason, in addition to G.  If the season began right now, Dallas Reynolds would be the backup C.  Mudd said “I believe we got the guy we drafted” in Vandervelde.  Mudd said that the Vandervelde/Reynolds battle is what he is most looking forward to in preseason.
  • Rookie Dennis Kelly will learn the OT and G positions.  (Kelly is 6’8).
  • This is the best group of 15 players on the OL that Mudd has had, in his opinion, in as long as he can remember.
  • First half of the season, Mudd would give the OL a grade of anywhere between a B an a D.  Second half of the season he thought it was an A or B.  He cited the 2nd Giants game specifically as a game where they really played great.
  • Mudd didn’t even know who Evan Mathis was when he first saw him. “And Kelce, I didn’t know him from a load of coal.”
  • Jason Peters will be in Lehigh, just not out on the field.  Thinks Peters has Hall of Fame ability.

1. Good option Ronald. I do think the default WordPress comments strategy is the most effective with modifications using CSS for styling along with a couple of plugins for further functionality.

2. Andressa says:

thank you very muchhttp://www.maladiretasegmentada.com.br

3. Cailane says:

i agree. thankshttp://www.kitsucesso.com

4. air max 1 says:

Thanks for any other wonderful post. Where else may anyone get that kind of info in such an ideal approach of writing? I have a presentation subsequent week, and I’m on the search for such information.

5. handic says:

I have been browsing on-line greater than three hours today, yet I by no means discovered any fascinating article like yours. It’s lovely worth sufficient for me. In my view, if all web owners and bloggers made just right content as you probably did, the web can be much more helpful than ever before.

6. I really like your writing style, excellent info , thankyou for posting : D.

7. phillyangst says:

I prefer “Muddggets”. Thanks for the training camp blogs Jimmy. I’ll be up at Lehigh this Friday and Saturday. I will be watching carefully Mr. “I’m a bust” and how enthusiastic 18 will be catching punts/kickoffs. Maclin might be off the hook this year with all the new K/PR candidates in camp. I’m looking forward to the podcast w/ Lawlor as well.

8. Eaglesfanatlarge says:

You saved the best stuff for after the jump!

■More trust this year between Jason Kelce and Vick./Danny Watkins and Jason Kelce are much further along this year than last. – I’ve been re-watchng some of the early games from last year. The interior of the line was absolutely awful. Tons of plays where DTs are 3 yards deep in the backfield, totally disrupting traps. They did improve enormously as the year went on thogh, IIRC. I hope the G-C-G area picks up from where they left off last year, and does not start over from where they began.
    ■Jason Peters blocked a lot of the best pass rushers in the league one-on-one last year. That probably won’t change with Demetress Bell. They probably won’t give him more help. “We don’t have to invent a new offense because Jason Peters isn’t here.” – I’ll believe it when I see it. I expect to see TE and RB help for Bell for the first few games until the coaching staff get comfortable that he can keep Vick healthy.
    ■ Mudd said “I believe we got the guy we drafted” in Vandervelde. – Is Mudd trying out for a Coors Light commercial?
    ■Rookie Dennis Kelly will learn the OT and G positions. (Kelly is 6’8). – I thought it was interesting how they effectively plugged the very large King Dunlap into the G position last year when needed. I always thought the big guys got out-leveraged at G. Maybe they can do the same with Kelly.
    ■This is the best group of 15 players on the OL that Mudd has had, in his opinion, in as long as he can remember. – How old is Mudd? Does he even remember what he had for breakfast?

9. Tracer Bullet says:

Which makes me wonder who was the driving force behind drafting Kelce. I assume it was Reid channeling Mudd’s preference for smaller, more athletic OL?

10. deg0ey says:

“Jason Peters blocked a lot of the best pass rushers in the league one-on-one last year. That probably won’t change with Demetress Bell. They probably won’t give him more help.”

I’m not sure whether I think this is good news or not. It certainly suggests that Mudd has faith in Bell’s ability, which is quite a compliment, but damn those are some good pass rushers.

11. Steve says:

A beautiful day to be a football fan, please feed us more Muggets!