Random notes around the NFC East: The urgency of getting RG3’s deal done, a cocky Cowboys WR, and another pass with the collection plate

– We are 10 days from the first day of training camp practice (I’ll be checking out the Eagles’ rookies on the 23rd), and a mere 12 days away until the vets report.  It’s my favorite time of the year.  This year, as previously mentioned here, I’ll be at one NFC East camp or another every day from July 23rd through August 14.  I will definitely be attending Eagles and Giants camps, although I’m still waiting for official confirmation back from the Skins.  I should have a ton of coverage all throughout camp.  Unfortunately, I will not be making the trek all the way out to Oxnard to take in Cowboys camp (Biased!).  Anyway, I’m doing all of this on my own dime, so if you can help me offset some of the travel/lodging/gas/etc costs with a small donation, it would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you again to the all of the people that donated when I passed the collection plate around a few weeks ago.

If you’d like to help out, click the donate button to the right.

– Do you know who Cole Beasley is?  Probably not, unless you’re a hardcore Dallas Cowboys fan, or you went to Southern Methodist.  He’s an undrafted free agent out of SMU that the Cowboys signed, and is competing for a roster spot at WR.  105.3 the Fan in Dallas interviewed this kid, and because he’s a short, white WR, they jokingly compared him to Wes Welker.  Beasley dismissed that comparison, all but saying he’s better than Welker (and he isn’t kidding).  The full interview is here, but they get to the Welker stuff in the first 30 seconds, and the hosts playfully goof on him the rest of the way.  I don’t know if this kid is cocky, confident, or stupid, but I immediately like him. (h/t to DC Fanatic on the find).

I took a look at some of his receptions, and I think he has a shot.  He has some shake, looks to get everything he can once he has the ball in his hands, and seems to know exactly where he is on the field once he catches a pass and where the defenders are around him.  Had 86 catches in 2011, 87 in 2010.  Good numbers, although his YPC were a modest 12.1 and 12.2, respectively, and he only found the end zone 8 times the last two years.  Still… looking forward to seeing him in the preseason games.

Continued after the jump…

– I’m not completely sure why, but a couple different people brought an article by Adam Rank of NFL.com to my attention.  He has the Cowboys winning the division.  That’s fine.  I think there are arguments to be made there.  However, I’m always more interested in the reasoning.  The part under the Eagles is a little confusing:

Many figure the Philadelphia Eagles have learned their lesson from the previous season and will finally reveal themselves as a true “Dream Team.” Not happening. Just look at the schedule. The Eagles open with the Cleveland Browns (win), but have the Baltimore Ravens,Arizona Cardinals, New York Giants, Pittsburgh Steelers and Detroit Lions. After that, it’s the Atlanta Falcons, New Orleans Saints, Dallas Cowboys and Washington Redskins. The Eagles should be improved this year, but the brutal schedule could derail their season. But don’t worry, Andy Reid’s job is safe.

Except… The Cowboys play all those same teams too, with the exception of the Cardinals and Lions (they get the Seahawks and Bears instead, who might be better than the Cards/Lions anyway).

– Rich Tandler of Real Redskins makes a great point that the Redskins and RG3 need some urgency in getting a deal done, as Redskins rookies report to camp July 16 (Monday).  There’s no time to wait around for Andrew Luck to sign his deal, and the money amounts are pretty much already set in stone.  Get it done.

1. Thanks for the marvelous posting! I seriously enjoyed reading it, you happen to be a great author.I will remember to bookmark your blog and will come back in the future. I want to encourage yourself to continue your great posts, have a nice day!

2. Anders says:

Jimmy, I will donate later this month when I got an overview how much I can afford 😀

3. SteamboatJackson says:

Jimmy, if you’re going to be up at g-men camp during the first week, shoot me an email and Lunch/dinner is on me.

4. JimmyY? says:

Cole Beasley Never Said He was better than Wes Welker. If you listen to the Audio he says a couple things.

That its silly to compare him to Wes. Wes is a phenominal player who made it possible for guys like him to have a shot at an NFL roster.

That he play’s a slightly different game then Welker, where Welker is more stout and solid, Beasley believes him self to be a little fast, with ability to play some more on the outside.

Beasley Also said Welker was his favorite player and hopes to half the player he is.

People (in general) are taking this out of proportion and making it something its not.

He never said anything approaching billboard material.

1. Dez Bryant's Probation Officer says:

If Cole Beasley can stay away from the drugs and alcohol, he may become a Chad Hall by his second year.

5. mastermind says:

Cole is good versus DI competition, but the cards are stacked against this guy. I love the attitude but please shut up and play. I don’t think J Garret is happy about these comments.

6. Thunderlips says:

To be fair, I asked @AdamRank to respond:

“I don’t get his confusion, I see the Eagles starting the season 3-6. W/the pressure in Philly, here comes the implosion.”

“Conversely, I see the Cowboys going 3-1 to open the season.”

7. […] Jimmy Bama has a good note in his post today.  Some writer was talking about us and Dallas fighting for the NFC-E crown, but had highly flawed logic for his pick.  Check that out. […]

8. joe d says:

the league is so crazy anymore, it wouldn’t surprise me if Cowboys won the div, it wouldnt surprise me if the eagles suck or the Giants go 6-10 (they could’ve easily went that last year)….. NFC E sched does look pretty damn tough on paper though

9. Steve D. says:

You think Wes Welker is better than Cole Beasley?

– Hating on the Star!

10. Dez Bryant's Probation Officer says:

Pay up, bitches!
    Jimmy’s going on the road.

11. Trueblue63 says:

The schedule issue isnt what it was way back. Used to have 5 teams in a division and you had horribly unbalanced schedules within a division. Now it’s 2 games different. And for wildcard it’s very hard to predict.

One year playing NFC North meant one hard game, the next 3. Who thinks the AFC North is as tough as it looked 3 months ago (per Balt losing Suggs).

Adam Rank isn’t much of a prognosticator. He suffers from Pineapple Disease as well.

12. Mick says:

Yeah, the Giants have the hardest schedule in the league, so dunno how the schedule thing matters really.

1. deg0ey says:

Agreed. If he’d written that the Cowboys will win the division because the Giants have a brutal schedule and the Eagles haven’t improved as much as people think (rookie SAM, dodgy safeties etc) then it would’ve made sense, but the arguments he’s actually making are a bit silly.