The Giants had their worst rushing performances in each of the last two seasons against… (drumroll)…

The Eagles!

I bet you wouldn’t have guessed that.  But it’s true.  See?  I even made a graph:

Opponent Game Att Yards YPC Result
Eagles Week 11, 2011 17 29 1.7 L 17-10
Eagles Week 11, 2010 19 61 3.2 L 27-17

I have been watching tape of the last 4 Eagles-Giants games recently, and it really stood out how bad the Giants offense looked in the two games they couldn’t run the ball against Philly.  Can’t run the ball?  Gotta pass.  And if the Eagles know you’re going to pass, that’s when that Philly pass rush becomes very scary.  So it should stand to reason that the Eagles probably got a lot of pressure on Eli Manning in those two games, knowing that they had taken away the run, right?  You bet.  According to PFF, he was pressured 24 times in the 2011 game by Philly.  Only the Niners had more (27) against the Giants in the NFC Championship Game.  In 2010, the Eagles pressured Eli 19 times.  Only the Texans had more pressures that season (20).

The Giants made a concerted effort to bolster the running game this offseason.  They signed TE Martellus Bennett, a player that is basically useless in the passing game, but is an effective blocker.  Then they drafted a shiny new RB in David Wilson in the first round, drafted another blocking TE in the 4th, and added a couple of offensive tackles in the 4th and 6th rounds.

The Giants were dead last in the NFL in rushing yards, yards per carry, and rushes of over 20+ and 40+ yards last season.  That’s reason enough to want to bolster your run game, but I have to wonder if those two games against Philly gave a little extra motivation.

1. Wonderful beat ! I would like to apprentice at the same time as you amend your site, how could i subscribe for a blog web site? The account helped me a acceptable deal. I had been a little bit familiar of this your broadcast offered brilliant clear concept

2. I think that is among the such a lot vital information for me. And i¡¯m satisfied reading your article. However want to observation on few general issues, The web site style is wonderful, the articles is actually excellent : D. Good activity, cheers

3. Kris Stores says:

WONDERFUL Post.thanks for share..extra wait .. …

4. joe d says:

as the giants fans had already said…the giants do seem to pass well against us even when pressured…and when eli gets no pressure its almost always a huge play……. I’m hoping with Manningham gone they are really going to have a rough time with match up problems…

5. Gordon Tyron says:

Wow the texans pressured the giants 20 times?

Unbelievable… that game was total and complete utter domination from the Giants in Houston. Did I really miss all the snaps on offense?

I remember the week 11 game. The giants running game was dominant up until that point. But david diehl did not play in that game. He was awful last year playing with a broken hand, but was a solid run blocker in 2010. The Giants rotated between shawn andrews/william beatty, both of whom had horrendous games. Seubert had an off-night.. I remember anthony dixon giving him massive problems. stewart bradley was all over the field that night. hes a terrible athlete but that dude had some instincts! he recognized everything the giants were doing that day and i believe he even had an INT that night

Anthony dixon I think is a very underrated player for the eagles, dont remember seeing him last year

However, jimmy, the giants were the worst running team in the NFL last yearbut they can easily take solace in the fact that they ran for over 100 yards and a high amount of YPC Week 3 against eagles 😛 (Although the eagles defense was out of sync because of the young linebackers in that defense.)

1. Dixon (Antonio) tore a pectoral muscle and was lost for the season. I wanna say that happened Week 2.

1. Ty says:

It was vs the 49ers in Oct. so week 4 I think?

6. You actually make it appear so easy along with your presentation however I find this matter to be really something which I think I’d never understand. It seems too complex and very large for me. I am taking a look forward to your subsequent publish, I’ll attempt to get the grasp of it!

7. ct17 says:

I am not surprised at all. We used to make Gocong look like a Pro Bowler.

Gilbride and Coughlin have run a very simple run offense, it’s not a surprise that the teams they play most have figured it out. If you watch the Redskins games last year, you will see Fletcher reading every play call. But the pass routes are more complex, which is why our WRs can still make plays.

They need more gimmicks to keep defenses honest. Like the wheel route to Jacobs.

8. DerfDiggy says:

“The Redskins….*aren’t…are not…haven’t been in 20 years….etc…etc.

9. DerfDiggy says:

I hate the giants…..I hate everything from the fans, to the colors, to the stupid stadium that you share.

Die Giants Die.

The Eagles are only slightly beneath the Giants.

The Redskins are significant enough to hate.

/troll

You guys have a magnificent day.

10. Jimmer says:

I think NYG fans have to start worrying about the age of that OL. Starting to look like the Cowboys aged line from a few years ago.

1. Of course… with the lockout screwing things up, some of the names (Seubert, O’Hara) were off.

1. NYG_slater says:

oh, we have been. Its just hard to nitpick after you win a Superbowl. But ya, offensive line play was clearly the weakest part of our team and largely the culprit for the inconsistencies last year. We won most of our games in the 4th because we had our backs against the wall and had no other option but let Eli wing it. He delivered more times than not, but its not an easily sustainable feat.

If Beatty stays healthy, Boothe plays solid, and Brewer can push Diehl, the line may actually be serviceable this year (not great, but average).

1. NYG_slater says:

yup, it cant really be worse than it was last year. Like you said, add in a healthy beatty, a healthy snee, a 2nd year for Baas, and subtract an over-the-hill McKenzie (god he fell off fast) and they should be a better unit. If brewer can step up, fantastic. But thats just guesswork on our part.

11. NYG_slater says:

ya that week 11 game last year was horrendous. Considering how poorly our O-line has protected him, and our non-existent running game. Eli has played shockingly well. in the last 4 eagle games he has an average passer rating of 94.5 and that is including a stinker in 2010 when he posted a rating of 53.

1. Yeah, I think that was Slide Fumble Game II

1. NYG_slater says:

oh god ya, i tried to purge that moment from my brain. I was watching that game in NYC at a bar and when eli tried the slide/flop, I spit out, pretty much, my entire drink all over the bartender at the other side of the bar …The projectile spray went atleast 10 feet in the air and hit the female bartender and completely covered the back mirror where they put the expensive liquors. Not one of my finest giant fan memories.

Oddly enough, the Giants tend to pass well enough on the Eagles… seems like the reverse of what you would expect. That second game last year though, that was just a TURRIBUL game all around.

13. Willgfass says:

Knew how bad the game in 2010 was
    I think I repressed how bad that game in 2011 was

Haven’t the Giants struggled on the run vs the eagles for a while now?
    Facing a team using the wide 9, it’s pretty much imperative to make em pay by the run.
    Also it may be selective memory, but I recall Jacobs having awful games against the eagles

1. I should note that Bradshaw didn’t play in 2011, although I don’t think it would have mattered all that much, even if they had Jim Brown. The Giants simply couldn’t block Philly in that game for whatever reason.

And yes, Jacobs’ last 4 games:

7 for 19
      12 for 21
      5 for 10
      12 for 34

Total: 36 for 84 (2.3)

Bye, Brandon 🙁

1. Trueblue63 says:

2010 was the loyalty to old OL don’t pay game

Beatty and Boothe had been killing people, but Diehl and OHara swore they were ready. So they hit the pine, and Seubert moved back to G. It was a disaster.

And Beatty was out in 2011 game too