A tale of two seasons in the NFC East

Disclaimer: I don’t have some sort of larger point here.  I’ll leave the conclusions up to you.  I just thought it would be fun to take a look at some guys that either turned it on, or turned it off from a purely statistical standpoint last season:

Tony Romo, Cowboys Comp Att YPG YPA TD INT Rating

First 9 games 24 2.5 1 0
Last 7 games 25 5.5 1 1
Adam Carriker, Redskins Sacks
First 6 games 4.5
Last 10 games 1

1. … [Trackback]…

[...] There you will find 79027 more Infos: bloggingthebeast.com/2012/07/10/a-tale-of-two-seasons-in-the-nfc-east/ [...]…

2. top 10 songs says:

… [Trackback]…

[...] Find More Informations here: bloggingthebeast.com/2012/07/10/a-tale-of-two-seasons-in-the-nfc-east/ [...]…

3. Heads Up We adores your striking website cheers and pls keep the ball moving

4. I have read some of the articles on your own website today, and I enjoy your style of blogging. I included it in order to my favorites web log list and you will be checking rear soon. Please take a look at my site also and allow me to know what we think.

5. … [Trackback]…

[...] Informations on that Topic: bloggingthebeast.com/2012/07/10/a-tale-of-two-seasons-in-the-nfc-east/ [...]…

6. … [Trackback]…

7. … [Trackback]…

[...] Read More: bloggingthebeast.com/2012/07/10/a-tale-of-two-seasons-in-the-nfc-east/ [...]…

8. Jimmer says:

LeSean McCoy

Season Games (1-8) 151 825 5.5
    Season Games (9-16) 122 484 4.0

Showed some serious decline late in the season. They may need to share his carries a bit more this year so he stays strong late into the season.

1. Jimmer says:

Or you can dig deeper and go:

McCoy

Last 5 Games:

85 carries
      290 Yards
      3.4 ypc

9. There are definitely a lot of particulars like that to take into consideration. That is a nice level to deliver up. I offer the ideas above as basic inspiration but clearly there are questions like the one you deliver up where the most important thing shall be working in sincere good faith. I don?t know if finest practices have emerged around issues like that, however I am certain that your job is clearly recognized as a fair game. Both girls and boys feel the impact of only a moment’s pleasure, for the rest of their lives.

10. I every time used to read post in news papers but
    now as I am a user of net thus from now I am using net for articles or reviews, thanks to web.

11. Joe11 says:

Jimmy, you’re the man. Keep up the good work and while it might be annoying try to not to “nit pick” because then people have a reason to get on your jock. Especially them Cowboys…fans.
    Can’t wait to see what else you have in store.

12. My Homepage says:

hi, your website is really good. I truly do appreciate your give good results 275163

13. My Homepage says:

… [Trackback]…

14. One.cool.customer says:

Splits happen.

Reggie Wayne was much better against teams that wear the color blue than when facing teams that have no blue in their uniforms.

Robert Meachem, against teams with an odd number of letters in their team name (say, the Lions or Falcons), had 451 yards and 5 touchdowns in eight games. Against teams with an even number of letters, in 8 games, he gained only 169 yards and 1 touchdown.

Jacoby Jones was a much worse fantasy player against teams in the back half of the alphabet than teams in the front half.

Despite what our brain tells us, there need not always be an explanation for a crazy split. Sometimes, splits happen.

Read more here: http://www.footballperspective.com/splits-happen/

1. iskar36 says:

So what you are trying to say is, all three guys will have success against the Cowboys, only Jones will have success against the Eagles, Wayne and Jones will have success against the Giants, and none of those guys will play well against the Redskins? These statistics must be bogus! ;-)

15. joe d says:

to be fair….th elast 3 games Vick played was against some really crappy competition…Jets Cowboys and Redskins…All 3 defenses were in golf mode by December…

1. Disagree. Jets were still very much in the hunt for a playoff spot, as were the Cowboys.

1. NYG_slater says:

meh the cowboys-eagles game was meaningless for the boys midway in the first because the giants beat the jets in the earlier game. remember when romo dinged his hand, they pulled him immediately. If the playoffs were on the line I think he would of kept playing. That game ended for the boys when Mcgee took the field

1. There were other ways the Cowboys could have gotten in as a wildcard, even with the Giants win and a loss the following week. It involved Atlanta losing a game or two.

2. joe d says:

and the Jets “were in the hunt” but they were absolutely awful. Sanchez looked like a rookie just starting his first NFL game and I didn’t see any fight from them at that point… OK, so let’s sayI concede the Jets, the other two were still really crappy.

16. John says:

I never fully appreciated the second half Brent Celek had. If he could maintain that over sixteen games, he probably would be talked about as a potential top 5 TE. He’s already a pretty good blocker.

17. Anders says:

Good to know Eli’s Super Bowl run is not reproducible in forms of that low int total over the course of a full season. 1 int ever 196 attemps is almost 5 times Bradys normal numbers. While his normal regular season int numbers are Micheal Vick bad.

1. Andy says:

And yet he still made it to the playoffs

1. deg0ey says:

Fortunately the Eagles are gonna go 14 wins next season, so there’s no chance of it happening again ;-)

18. ct17 says:

This is the first acknowledgement of the existence of Carriker since the Redskins signed him. Waste of talent.

1. skinsaholic says:

He actually had a career year in 2011

19. Trueblue63 says:

Shouldn’t Eli’s rating on the back 5 be 108.9?

Not bad for a five game stretch of lose or go home.

1. What are you talking about? It already says 108.9 ;)

1. Trueblue63 says:

My bad :)

Interesting, the Giants stats did not jump up all that much, INTs being the big differential for Eli of course. Tuck’s look consistently mediocre throughout, though I bet if you moved some games to the first half it would still not spread out a whole lot (he really got better with his health later in the season).

21. DerfDiggy says:

Haha, these do look a bit “cherry picked”.

Interesting nonetheless….

1. DerfDiggy says:

You should do this for every team in the east…show a breakdown of QB/RB/WR/CB/Whatever…have it as a series of posts.

If you have the time, that is.

1. Trueblue63 says:

I agree

I’d add that keeping the breakdowns the same helps too.

22. Dez Bryant's Probation Officer says:

Dez is being supervised.

23. JimmyY? says:

Interesting you don’t have Romo Up there, Afraid of admitting the December swoon isnt all on him?

Or just don’t want to say anything positive about the Cowboys?

Nice and Balanced.

1. skinsaholic says:

Haha…you clearly missed the point of the article.

2. Romo’s first 8 / last 8 are pretty different. Didn’t notice it on the first pass. Yardage totals threw me off. I’ll add it in.

And as always, thanks for being respectful.

1. There. He’s in. I even have him at the very top of the article, just for you.

1. JimmyY? says:

I saw that, I appricate it. As I said above,

I assume the general point was to dispell some of the myths about players. for the cowboys fans running up to the podium to grant Demarco and Dez matching HOF busts.

Which I totally agree with you is lunacy.

However in turn I only asked that we do some positive Dispelling as well. Namely the Romo December Swoon, which is more fictitious than fact. Which you’ve done. I asked for balance and I received it, more than happy to acknowledge that.

1. The post wasn’t intended to make any points, as noted.

1. JimmyY? says:

Right.

All the same, if there was no agenda why not take the opportunity to share some opinion altering info.

if it was just all in the interest in being interesting, than i don’t see how that wouldn’t qualify.

Also why choose the players chosen.

even if there wasn’t a stated agenda, there an implied message.

Now its a balanced one.

So cheers.

1. I chose the players I chose because they had significant swings in statistical performance.

There are a couple different ways of getting a point across.

One way is to say, “You may have missed it, but Tony Romo improved pretty significantly in December this past year.” And then you might back up that statement with numbers.

The other way is to assume the author already has seen the same thing you have seen, assume further that the author has some sort of nefarious motive to not include the data you’re thinking of, and then call the author biased. Then… Even after the author acknowledges the omission and fixes it, you continue to imply the author has no journalistic integrity. That’s the dickbag route.

2. Apex says:

I guess JimmyY be journalizin, too.

1. JimmyY? says:

First off after I saw the acknowledgement I responded in kind with thanks.

Second off Shouldn’t we as readers hold you the information provider to a higher standard.

As someone taking a look at “significant swings in statistical performance” as I have faith and you and your Journalistic integrity. I assume some research was done. That seems like the journalistic route. But lets table that for a second.

Lets assume that that’s a wild premise of mine. Which sure this is a blog you can’t research, everything.

But since we were looking at 2 of 4 NFCE QB’s in the initial post, as well as cowboys players in general I didn’t think it was unfair to be curious about Romo’s absence.

Furthermore if this was truly a labor of curiosity I thought it was curious that given the great Romo perception of the December choker, and the idea of the statistical swing, why wouldn’t you look into it as a confirmation or denier of said perception.

But your right I should have given you the benefit of the doubt. For that I apologize.

Though I don’t think my thought process was hard to pick up given who you picked and how you portrayed them.

24. Jay Walker says:

I think that a lot of the Eagles offensive success this year will be based on Brent Celek. What he does, and what he’s asked to do. I think he’s a really good reciever, and a huge weapon when he’s able to go out for a pass. But when he stays back in to help block, theyre taking away a massive target and safety valve for Vick. So technically, i think it comes down to the OL and whether or not Celek has to stay back or not…but either way, the success will likely rise and fall with Celeks receiving stats.

25. Patrick says:

I believe the conclusion would be Giants and Eagles progressed while the Cowboys and Redskins digressed. That’s mine anyway.

1. JimmyY? says:

The word you were looking for was Regressed brain surgeon.

If he had thrown up Romo’s stats or something positive instead of cherry picking 2 negative one you might say something different.

1. bula says:

pretty sure romo’s stats are up there

2. Maximdim says:

why are your panties in such a bunch?

1. JimmyY? says:

Romo Was a late edition. I just wanted some balance. If the point was dispelling myths about players, which I assume it was.

By the inclusion of Dallas fans High on Dez’s + Demarco’s Potnetial, and showing us that hey these guys havent proven anything yet.

Why not include the “TONY ROMO DECEMBER SWOON” and show that they the last two times Romo has been helthy and played a december, 09 and 11 he’s been sensational.

Especially this season.

I only asked for fairness, and was happy to see Jimmy include it.

1. deg0ey says:

The word you were looking for was ‘addition’, brain surgeon.

1. BBI says:

Boom! Headshot.

1. JimmyY? says:

Touche

though i would still add at least i didnt invent a word

2. Steve D. says:

Digress is a word – it was the wrong word, but it is a word.