More likely to go after supplemental pick Josh Gordon: Redskins or Cowboys?

There is so little news around the NFL right now that this will be my 3rd post in 7 days about a WR that has entered the supplemental draft that had a career total of 721 receiving yards in college.  Apologies for the overkill.  That player is Josh Gordon, who started his college career at Baylor, put up nice numbers in his sophomore year (42-714-7), transferred to Utah, and is now going pro reportedly because he needs money sooner than later.

I don’t know a lot about the player, to be perfectly honest, so I’ll defer to Josh Norris of Rotoworld, who I feel has the best analysis of Gordon that I’ve read so far.  Highlights from his two best games in college can be found here, against Kansas (4-161-2) and Kansas St (7-141-2).

But the real reason I seem to care so much about this kid is that Evan Silva of Pro Football Talk reported that a source said he won’t get past the 3rd round of the supplemental draft, because there is an NFC East team that will pounce if he does.

We all know there are smoke screens in the “real NFL draft,” but do teams throw out smokescreens in the supplemental draft as well?  My feeling: Sure, why not?  That said, I do respect Evan Silva’s reputation, so I thought it might be worthwhile to debate what NFC East team could be in the hunt for Josh Gordon.  I think we can pretty much completely rule out the Eagles and Giants, leaving just the Redskins and Cowboys.  The team that I’ve seen getting the most mentions is the Redskins, although I disagree.

Reasons it makes sense for the Redskins:

• The obvious connection is that Gordon played with Robert Griffin III at Baylor.  However, I see that as a very minor bonus.
  • The Redskins bought Pierre Garcon and Josh Morgan this offseason, and they have a 2nd year kid in Leonard Hankerson that showed some nice flashes last year.  Not to mention, Santana Moss is still hanging around, as is Anthony Armstrong.  The Skins don’t lack WR depth.  However, if you’ll recall, even after they had signed Garcon and Morgan, the Skins had their sights set on signing Eddie Royal, which is a clear indication that they’re willing to continue to add to their WR stash if they like a player.
  • Mike Shanahan is 11-21 since taking over the reigns in DC.  I think he is safe after this season as long as RG3 shows serious promise and the team looks like they’ll be legitimate competitors in 2013, but after that, he’s probably fair game.  Bringing in a kid like Gordon now and easing him along with the intent of giving him a serious role in 2013 might make some sense.
  • Shanhan likes him some tall WRs.  In Denver he drafted both Ashley Lelie and Marcus Nash in the 1st round.  Both players were 6’3.

Continued after the jump…

Reasons it doesn’t make sense for the Redskins (and this is a big one):

• They are already down their 1st round pick in the 2013 draft.  Take away that 3, and they’re down to 6 picks, and only one on the first two days.  That’s not good for a team with gaping holes on the OL and in the secondary.  Also, the Skins still have to deal with the salary cap monies that were stripped away by Roger Goodell for dumping DeAngelo Hall and Albert Haynesworth’s salaries into the uncapped season, which makes their draft next offseason that much more important.

Reasons it makes sense for the Cowboys:

• The Cowboys don’t have anything close to a player currently on their roster that can be counted on to be a legitimate #3 WR.  The addition of Gordon may or may not change that (it likely wouldn’t), but at the very least, he’s a very intriguing talent.
  • Both Miles Austin and Dez Bryant missed time last year.  Who is the 2 if either one of them go down in 2012? And then who becomes the 3?
  • Whether or not the Cowboys are able to find a competent 1-year band-aid when other teams begin cutting players, WR will likely be a need heading into next offseason anyway.

Reasons it doesn’t make sense for the Cowboys:

• Drafting Gordon doesn’t necessarily solve their #3 WR issue this season.  The guy didn’t play football last season, and has minimal experience even at the college level.  Immediate returns should not be expected.

The way I see it, the much more compelling argument is for the Cowboys.

1. Hey I know this is off topic but I was wondering if you knew
    of any widgets I could add to my blog that automatically tweet my newest twitter updates.
    I’ve been looking for a plug-in like this for quite some time and was hoping maybe you would have some experience with something like this. Please let me know if you run into anything. I truly enjoy reading your blog and I look forward to your new updates.

2. Claudine says:

good pointhttp://www.decolarpassagens.net

3. Claudina says:

great it’s a cool stuffhttp://www.bevkitchen.com

4. Lori Black says:

After research just a few of the blog posts on your website now, and I actually like your method of blogging. I bookmarked it to my bookmark website list and can be checking again soon. Pls take a look at my website as nicely and let me know what you think.
    Your home is valueble for me. Thanks!…

5. Areta says:

great it’s a cool stuffhttp://www.celularcomchip.com

6. zeus geece says:

Hello my loved one! I want to say that this post is awesome, great written and include approximately all important infos. I’d like to peer more posts like this .

1. seanrude says:

Jimmy, you have the best comment bots. They never fail to appear and amuse

1. Zues geece is my boy.

7. doomsday returns says:

From the analysis by Josh Norris – he is exclusively an outside receiver with a limited route tree and doesn’t run well after the catch. I’m not sure how that makes him better than any of the projects the Cowboys already have on the roster.

If during the pre-season, the Cowboys don’t like what they see from Radway, Holmes, Harris, Coale, Beasley, and Ogletree, they will have the option to pick up late cuts from other teams or FA’s that have not yet been picked up (Braylon Edwards, Gonzalez) without costing a high pick next year.

Gordon does not seem to have the skills to warrant the risk.

8. seanrude says:

If Gordon does not solve reasons #1 and #2 for the Cowboys, and only might solve #3 (although there are several players on the roster now that could be that guy) how is the more compelling argument for the Cowboys?

1. Because whether or not he can contribute this year or not (and I think he’d be far more dangerous than anyone else fighting to be the 3), it’s still a need area that is going to have to be addressed next season anyway, whereas it isn’t really a big need area for the Skins.

So if they really like the kid, why not get him on your team a year early.

1. JimmyY? says:

Your saying the redskins have less of a need at WR than the Cowboys?

With Miles Dez + Witten? so our no. 4 or 5 option because out side of last year the boys actually like to get the ball to there backs.

I just cant believe you believe that.

Even theoretically if 1 of the receivers does go down. We still are in better shape than most teams (Not named the Giants) certainly better than the Skins.

“it’s still a need area that is going to have to be addressed next season anyway, whereas it isn’t really a big need area for the Skins.” – Jimmy

I think your discounting (mostly because you only have a cursory knowledge of the cowboys) about how our team works.

Not saying Gordon doesnt fit. I actually agree that it wouldnt be a terrible future investment. But the notion that its A) a dire need, and B) that the Cowboys are in a worse situation than the Skins at WR is kinda silly. I am sure that this was a slip in syntax and by sure I mean hope.

1. You’re arguing points I didn’t make.

Would I rather have Dez Bryant and Miles Austin over whoever the Skins put out as their 1-2? No question. But do the Skins have more depth at WR? You bet your ass they do. WR depth is not a need for the Skins. It is for the Cowboys.

And the Cowboys are “not in better shape than most teams” if they lose one of their WRs. You can’t be serious there, can you?

1. JimmyY? says:

I think we’re a little WR spoiled in the NFC and in the NFC east respectively. With the Abundance of WR talent the teams in our division posses.

With Miles and Dez you have two POTENTIAL ( I put in potential so you don’t build your own straw man argument) no. 1 receivers. Certainly capable of both requiring and beating extra attention.

I believe only the Giants can say that in our division. However depending how you feel about Maclin, the eagles as well. I digress.

However With Jason Witten we have 3 Top match up problems. If you look at this history of this Offense, we have thrived (as most have) with 1 Pretty good WR and Witten, be it Austin, T.O or some combination.

Our 3rd Target is largely responsible for about 500-800 yards and about 5-7 tds. Romo Makes up the rest of this damage.

With both Dez Miles and Witten we have an opportunity to exceed that.

However, missing one of those guys; does not kill us. As in Jason Garrett’s system, the no.2 or no.3 WR, is actually the 3rd 4th or 5th Target.

While the Addition of Dez or Miles adds a dimension there loss isn’t debilitating, primarily because of the Strength of a Jason Witten, and Jason’s Use of our Running backs as receivers (with LR last year he took balls away that Jason would normally allocate to Austin and the running backs)

While I would love to have all pro’s at every position, that is not realistic. Not saying you make this claim, but in our system the value isnt placed on our 3rd receiver like it may be in the eagles system. Partially because we don’t have a Jason Avant, but more because You don’t have a Jason Witten.

I think if you look back through the years (the ones Tony Romo plays) You’ll see more of what I mean.

So in Summation I would love to catch lightning in a bottle again with another LR, but even in the hypothetical where Dez or Miles goes down, our WR depth is not quite the critical mass you describe. I think every and all team would hurt if there no 1s got hurt.

Imagine the Cards with out Fitz, or the Bengals without Green, Lions with out Calvin, Eagles with out Jackson. Falcons without White, I think alot of those teams would be worse off than the Cowboys if they lost there primary receivers.

P.s Tried to make this the least confrontational as I could. Interested in your thoughts.

1. Noah says:

*The point
              __________
              (Your head)

2. Matth313 says:

All hes saying is the dropoff from Austin and Dez to Ogletreee or whoever your 3rd is a lot more dramatic then Garcon/Moss to Morgan and Hankerson.

The thing is you have 3 legitimate receiving threats (not counting HB). If you lose one of them, highly likely for some portion of the season, your looking at playing your 3rd receiver or second/third TE, which is going to severly limit your playbook and/or playmaking ability.

3. Joe11 says:

Ahhahhaha wait JimmyY?

The Falcons have Julio Jones… wtf are you on? You obviously have cursory knowledge of the Falcons.

1. JimmyY? says:

Julio Jones is not in the same class as either Dez or Miles, that offense is Roddy white.

But thanks for your input.

2. Joe11 says:

Actually Jimmy he’s above Dez, just as skilled skilled, runs better routes, more explosive, more physically talented and more mentally stable. Roddy>Julio>Miles>Dez.

Miles had one great year and has been okay and injured since. Dez flashes but often disappears, doesn’t connect with Romo, and can’t run all the routes. Regressing by Miles….

Considering how good of a prospect Dez was coming out of the draft, top 5 talent (fell because of baggage) he’s actually an underachiever.

You can live in your fantasy land where Dez is the most physically talented receiver and is impossible to tackle, and is just a sweet guy who catches touchdowns and kills double coverage but that’s simply not the truth

4. Will B says:

The point he’s trying to make to you JimmyY is that Miles Austin and Dez Bryant are a bit injury-prone and thanks to Laurent Robinson the Cowboys still were able to score points as their number 3 WR. W/o Robinson now, they need a third WR that could pick up the slack like Robinson did in case Austin or Bryant go down with an injury.

2. seanrude says:

Is there any evidence that Dallas really likes the kid?

And just so I am clear, Reasons #1 and #2 are now no longer operative, right? he is not likely to help them this year as a #3, and if he cannot help as the #3, he won’t be much help if Miles and/or Dez go down

1. deg0ey says:

I don’t think there’s any specific evidence that Dallas likes him, no. There is, however, evidence that somebody in the East likes him and Dallas are the most likely candidate. Eagles and Giants have no real need at WR and Redskins have hardly any draft picks, which would mean it’s probably the Cowboys.

1. seanrude says:

Now there is some evidence as Dallas is attending his pro day

9. Jerry said the window is closing ,my guess is he go for it like he did Claiborne.

10. point blank says:

If he becomes a Cowboy he will become a Star ,If he becomes a Skin he will become ah Bust.

1. Maximdim says:

like every other great Cowboy!

11. DC says:

Cowboys already have a ton of developmental type WRs on the roster, including big guys to play the outside in Radway and Holmes. Therefore I don’t think they’ll be interested. Plus with his drug arrest I don’t know if he fits into the character mold the Cowboys looked for in recently acquired players.

1. The drug thing doesn’t seem like a big deal to me. He smoked pot in college, which makes him like 75% of every other college student. In all the accounts I’ve read of the guy, his coaches at Baylor and Utah seem to all be talking him up.

1. DC says:

Alright, good to know. Personally, I don’t think smoking pot is a big deal, but to some people in the league it matters. I’d rather have pot smoking football players on the team than those speeding, or killing people or burning down their own houses (ok that’s a soccer player)

2. ICDogg says:

On the other hand, getting caught might be an indicator of your lack of attention to detail or lack of intelligence.

12. BBI says:

I still say Redskins. I know the argument re: draft picks, but some teams just don’t value them that much (Raiders). If the Redskins feel like they can get a high upside prospect with real talent that can grow and develop parallel to RGIII, I can see them pulling the trigger.

13. Anders says:

Adem Shefter reported the Eagles are one the interested teams.

1. Wow, just found that. He’s classifying the Eagles as “WR needy,” which doesn’t make any sense to me. How are they “WR needy?”

Think that’s based on his opinion (and an odd one at that) more than knowledge of what the Eagles are thinking.

If the Eagles really like him, then… alright, I guess it’s a possibility, but I can’t see it.

1. Anders says:

I think Eagles is on just because they are the Eagles. It seems every FA and highly tutored supplementary pick is named with the Eagles

2. Jay Walker says:

Maybe trying to get the Cowboys or Skins to up their bids. Gamesmanship.

3. ICDogg says:

I think we sometimes over-complicate things. Is the guy worth the pick or not? There are a few things to consider… finding a spot on the roster… present vs. future value of a pick… but it’s not that deep a problem.

4. Red Eyed Devil says:

I think it makes a lot of sense for the Eagles. Reid will take in players who have had issues. He has truly elite athleticism and he’s a litle different from a player like DeSean. Maclin had a great year considering the circumstances (sickness, weight-conditioning, vick, desean) but say he doesn’t take another step and Gordon develops…

Look at the Foles pick, not typical Reid QB, neither is Gordon at WR. Eagles offense has had red zone struggles, a tall receiver could help get rid of that thing where he knocks on the door but doesn’t necessarilly get in thing he’s notorious for…

I think he makes more seanse for the Redskins than the Cowboys as well. And Jason Garrett likely won’t risk taking “WKGs” until he can prove he can handle “RKGs” that’s too much for him to handle. Shanny and Reid are more established. I’d rule out the Giants and keep the rest of the NFC East open.