Cowboys drafted the lowest % of players in the trenches in the NFL over the last 5 years; Skins and Giants right behind them

Team OL/DL picks Total picks Trench %   Team OL/DL picks Total picks Trench %
Bills 15 45 33.3   Rams 11 44 25
Bears 13 39 33.3   Buccaneers 9 37 24.3
Bengals 16 48 33.3   Jets 7 29 24.1
Patriots 16 48 33.3   Redskins 10 44 22.7
Seahawks 14 42 33.3   Cowboys 8 40 20

1. Brian Weinkauf says:

It’s more about luck, need, injuries, contracts and a teams ability to develop players. Not where they pick or if they pick linemen in the draft.

2. Blitz Inc says:

As an Eagles fan, the most awesome thing I see about this chart is how the Eagles have averaged over 10 picks per draft in the last five years, more than any other team in the league.

3. Trueblue63 says:

Re Giants

Since this starts with 2008 draft, and their OL/DL was one of the best in the NFL, it’s not unusual to think that fewer players at those spots would be selected.

I suspect if this was broadened out to 15-20 years (so that it encompassed at least one full turnover of both /DL) that you’ld get a better idea of what teams are doing. I’d also suspect that the percent of draft picks for each team would narrow as needs changed perspective.

4. joe d says:

Yeah I think the correlation there is who hit big and who didn’t. The Giants freaking NAILED it on Tuck, Osi, JPP,and you could even say Kiwi. Though they haven’t been great on the OL side of things. Cowboys have missed big too and I think the Eagles for having so many picks there, are hitting too low on the defensive side of things.

5. Redskins Fan says:

Doesn’t take into account what ROUNDS those players were taken. For example, three 7th round OL!=1 1st round OL; the 1 is much more likely to be servicable and see the field than the 7ths are.

So a better way of looking at it would be to see what the aggregate is, as well, scoring based on selection and quantity, then normalizing (that would, of course, ignore the great finds and huge busts of the pick, just getting some number that can be said “This is how Team X picks OL=.421. This is how Team Y picks OL=.098. Team Y has made zero playoff appearances during that era. Team X has won 16 playoff games.” Numbers made up since I don’t have the position vs pick information to quantify that.

And I’m not sure Jimmy is bored enough to do that.

1. RedskinsFan says:

Not quite the same, and because the sample size is so small (3 years), it skews the numbers for something like this.

6. DerfDiggy says:

I don’t even know what to take of this…….Is there a conclusion to be made?
    Not saying this because I’m a Cowboys fan…Just curious.

Giants are bottom 10 and have won 2 SB’s in recent years. GB is #1 and have won 1.
    Eagles, Falcons, and Panthers are all in the top 10 and range from horrible to consistent contender.

I think this is truely a stat that means….much of nothing….and one of the rare times that quality>quanity actually applies 100%.

1. Anders says:

The Giants and to some extend the Packers showed that OL but DL with QB wins a championship and consider the Giants havent really drafted an OL outside of Beatty, this is not really that mysterious.

1. DerfDiggy says:

I guess you missed my overall point……..that there’s no real substance behind this.
        Ok, so the Boys have drafted the least in the league over the last 5 years….but have two of the best performing Tackles over the last 3 years(within reason)…and one of the best NT’s in the league during that span, and have been an average team during that time.

While the Giants…who have drafted exactly 2 more than the cowboys, have had arguably one of the best DL’s, and one of the oldest OL’s in the league…along with 2 superbowls to go along with that.

The Panthers…have one of the best OL’s in the league(if I can remember correctly)…are third on the list with the most picks, and have been one of the worst teams record wise during that 5 year span.

Again…my point is simply, I just don’t see the point of just churning out data for the sake of data.

1. giantsfan says:

This. I’m just really not sure what to make of the purpose of this chart. There doesn’t seem to be any real correlation with overall success in the league and drafting in the trenches … which really, really surprises me.

1. Andy says:

Just dividing it into the two columns, the only two teams on the right with any sort of consistent success are the Giants and Ravens, while the left has Packers, Falcons, Saints, Colts, Steelers, Eagles, Patriots…so there is some sort of general vagueish correlation.

1. DerfDiggy says:

Well, that’d be a great conclusion….up until you look at some of the other teams on the left.

Dolphins
              Bills
              Bengals
              Panthers
              Jags
              Chiefs

Just kind’ve a weird stat to pull, with no real conclusion.