B/R’s Matt Miller: The NFL may have released the All 22, but you, my friends, are still know-nothing jerkoffs

I’m a contributor at Bleeding Green Nation, which is the Eagles blog under the SB Nation umbrella.  I used to contribute there a lot more, but my writing there has been more sporadic ever since I launched this site about a year ago.  However, I still visit the site every day, and interact with the knowledgeable community there.  About 2 months ago, somebody posted a link to “The Top 80 running backs,” which was written by Matt Miller of b/r.  Apparently, he did this for every position.  Here’s the description of the work they did:

After spending countless hours locked in the film room breaking down the 2011 NFL season, here is our ranking of the top 80 running backs in the NFL today as part of the B/R NFL 1,000 series.

The series offers an in-depth look at every position in the NFL, breaking down players’ skills in a way never before seen on the Internet.

B/R 1,000 rankings don’t assess who had the best year or even who has the most potential. Rather, players are judged on their current skills and mechanics, based on film study of the 2011 NFL preseason and regular season only.

Naturally, the community of Eagles fans was only interested in where LeSean McCoy was ranked.  Turns out he was 7th.  I care less about rankings and more about the analysis behind rankings, so I was curious what they had to say about McCoy.  Two things stood out:

1. Miller gave McCoy a 5.5 out of 10 for “Power,” noting that he “does not break many tackles.”
  2. Miller also gave him a 5.5 out of 10 for pass blocking, and said that McCoy “is not asked to stay in for pass protection very often.”

I, along with the other folks at Bleeding Green Nation, instantly knew that Miller could not have actually watched the tape on McCoy.  For one, McCoy not only led the NFL in broken tackles in 2011, but did so by a fairly significant margin.  Conversely, Peyton Hillis scored a 10 out of 10 in that category.  According to Football Outsiders, how many broken tackles did Peyton Hillis have last year?

(drumroll…)

Four.  Four broken tackles.  I broke four tackles on the way to the bathroom at 3 in the morning last night.  Hillis had the lowest number of broken tackles per touch in the entire league.  Now… Peyton Hillis used to break tackles.  But that was in previous seasons, and as the description of how Miller did his evaluations says, “players are judged on their current skills and mechanics, based on film study of the 2011 NFL preseason and regular season only.”  So unless Peyton Hillis was breaking tackles in the preseason like Christian Okoye in Tecmo Bowl, I’d say Miller is full of shit here.

Additionally, while McCoy’s ability to pass block can be debated, the statement that the Eagles don’t ask him to do a lot of it is just flat out incorrect.  In fact, according to Pro Football Focus, only 2 running backs stayed in to block more times than McCoy.  Here’s the short list of running backs that stayed in to block at least 100 times (and this includes fullbacks):

Player Team Pass block
Frank Gore 49ers 166
Michael Bush Raiders 151
LeSean McCoy Eagles 142
Ray Rice Ravens 129
Steven Jackson Rams 129
Jim Kleinsasser Vikings 108
Kregg Lumpkin Bucs 108
Jonathan Stewart Panthers 102

What’s comical is that Steven Ridley of the Patriots stayed in to block a grand total of 10 times last season.  TEN!  Apparently, those 10 plays in which Ridley helped protect Tom Brady were enough to earn him a grade of 7.5 in that department.  And not only that, Miller has such a keen eye for talent that he was able to break down Ridley in those 10 plays:

Strong base in pass protection but needs to work on his technique.

Lol.

Anyway, the rest of series is similarly terrible.  OK, so whatever.  Miller wrote a shitty series that was 95% guess work, and easily proven that he didn’t actually watch the tape, as he claims.  On a daily basis, I read like 3 or 4 shitty football articles, and some of them are part of larger shitty series like this one. Hell, I even write shitty articles every so often.  So why call out Miller 2 months after his shitty series ran?  Well, the NFL recently announced that the “All 22 film” would be made available to the general public.  Football fans far and wide rejoiced.  However, Matt Miller cautioned that the typical football fan (we’ll refer to you jerkoffs as “normies”) don’t have the same level of football intellect as him.

Bill Walsh, er… Matt Miller has spoken.  Please note that even though the NFL has released the All 22, no matter how much tape you watch, and how much Matt pretends to watch, you still don’t know shit about shit.

Follow Blogging the bEast on Twitter.

1. Jp2y says:

lol bleacherreportzz

2. [...] Bama has a funny post on the subject, as he goes after a writer who doesn’t like casual fans having the access.  Funny [...]

3. KByars says:

Get ‘em!

4. omar says:

he’s wrong for putting his self in a position of experet but he’s right, many people are fooling themselves, i could bet are few the one who really could do a good read

5. Matthew Gilmartin says:

Bleacher Report is just a subpar site. I used to write for them, but stopped after 6-7 months because its strength turned into a weakness. It’s supposed to be a site for tons of original content, but all you really get is hopeful fans trying to convince themselves and others that their teams are better than they really are. They may be a huge site, but I stopped reading much of their stuff in favor of Sports Illustrated (and especially National Football Post) a long time ago. The guys on those websites are either distinguished reporters like Peter King, or have been involved in the football industry (Matt Bowen). They know what they’re talking about.

6. Kushan says:

Congrats Jimbo! New record for comments on a single article! Let me tack on one more.

I like how the other b/r write above (Randy Jobst) tried to defend his buddy. Not only does he have super layman writing, but on top of that he can’t even get basic grammar correct:

“People may think their experts because of this, but that doesn’t mean they are.” —- Should be “they’re”.

“…the running backs, but everyone writer doing a list like that would be way off on somebody.” —– “everyone writer”? What?

1. Randy’s a good guy, and a good writer. No problem with him saying what he said.

Also, thanks, although there have been dozens of articles that have had more comments. Typically, the ones that get a 100 or so comments are the ones where there’s some fierce back and back. One example would be the Cowboys trading up to take Claiborne. But almost everyone seems to be unified on this one, ha.

7. NYG_slater says:

just went through a bunch of rankings…..they had marty B as the 13 best TE in the NFL……

8. Free Plax says:

Jimmy you got to stop reading B/R, it’s like the national enquirer of sports blogs. Either that or start a side colum called “Stupid Shit I read over at B/R”

9. Dez Bryant's Probation Officer says:

Never heard of him.

10. Immynimmy says:

“Four. Four broken tackles. I broke four tackles on the way to the bathroom at 3 in the morning last night.”

Haha, classic Jimmy K.

Bleacher Report writer telling others they are not experts with the feeling of being an expert himself!? BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Okay… Okay, I’m goo… BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Seriously? Is he seriously claiming his shit does not stink, all the way from that open cesspool of deviants, trolls, hacks, and twisted creatures? BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

If he wasn’t so serious, this would be really funny instead of only sorta funny, tinged with sadness.

1. Anders says:

I think its more funny, because he is serious

12. tron rodriguez says:

It’s true, Matt Miller thinks way too highly of himself, he thinks he’s comparable to Mike Mayock and guys like that, but he doesn’t seem to realize that he’s kind of a joke. He may not be stupid but he surely thinks he’s much smarter than he really is. I enjoy B/R for fun slide shows and fan interaction and stuff like that, but when they try to actually analyze or break news and stuff like that you can tell that it’s amateur hour. The only thing worse than their bad articles are their really bad videos.

13. Trueblue63 says:

Excellent exposé. Serious credibility gap for Mr Miller. Make claims you can backup, even if they aren’t as glamorous as you’ld like.

14. BBI says:

Get ‘em. Get ‘em. Get ‘em!!!!!!!!!

1. The Purple Lion says:

hahahaha!! That guy was classic!!

15. Ben says:

To be fair, at McCoy’s size is he breaking tackles with power? I was under the impression that he was more of a juker. Also, he may pass block a lot, but is he good at it? I think that’s the main point there (I’m not saying he isn’t, I don’t know if he is or not).

That said, this almighty attitude of “you don’t have the all-22 so your opinion is completely useless and/or you’re not a scout so you don’t know what you’re looking at” seems ridiculous to me.

1. I happen to think he’s a good pass protector. Others disagree. I’m fine with that, and I’m fine with the 5.5 or whatever. It’s the comment that says that the Eagles don’t ask him to do a lot of it that’s a clear indicator that they don’t know what they’re talking about.

As for the “power” aspect, McCoy’s power is in his legs. Very Barry Sanders-like in that regard (note that I’m not comparing him to Sanders – they just have a similar style). You have to have some serious “power” to lead the NFL in broken tackles. But again here, I don’t care about the rating. Ratings are meaningless. It’s the comment that “he doesn’t break many tackles,” which is totally false.

16. One.cool.customer says:

Lol lol lol lol lol.

Priceless.

17. Alex says:

And, additionally, the same guy that claims Charles Woodson is the greatest corner of all time, and that Champ Bailey(!) couldn’t hold his jock. He actually spent like an hour one morning trolling his Twitter feed with this. Told anyone who disagreed that they were an idiot who knew nothing about football.

And yet, the B/R crew wonders why they aren’t taken more seriously.

18. giantsfan says:

*anxiously awaits his response*

1. RogerPodacter says:

right?
      i’m kind of excited to see what this guy comes back with. from what a previous posted noted about him being defensive on twitter, i would imagine he is going to get more than a little worked up about this one…

19. Smitty2K3 says:

Haha these are my favorite JimmyK articles! I love when you rip a new one into some shmuck of a writer who thinks he knows what he’s talking about.

I love it! Keep these coming!

20. Randy Jobst says:

I write for Bleacher Reports as Jimmy knows. I didn’t agree with what Matt said regarding the ALL22. It’s a great thing. People may think their experts because of this, but that doesn’t mean they are. I don’t care either way. I love all the people who read my columns at B/R, regardless of whether or not they know the difference between a go route and a screen pass. Matt is a good guy. He just needs to be careful how he words things sometimes. He can be a little defensive on twitter at times when people disagree with him. I think he expects certain people to just troll his slideshows. We as writers need to be thankful for the opportunities we have and we need to be open minded to any comments we receive.

I also disagreed with Matt’s list on the running backs, but everyone writer doing a list like that would be way off on somebody. Eagles fans know that McCoy isn’t Jerome Bettis, but he did break a lot of tackles and convert his 3rd and 4th down carries into a first down or touchdown 72% of the time. MJD was 54% to put that into proper perspective.

I think this is a lesson for any type of writer, from fanposters at BGN to writers at a bigtime paper like the Daily News or Inquirer, that we have to be thankful for all our readers and fans. They are the ones that keep us employed or our sites running.

1. rage114 says:

Well, if I were you, I would be more than a little pissed off at your colleague.

These aren’t differences of opinion. He made some statements of fact that are easily shown to be incorrect….or at least shown that he either didn’t actually do the research he claimed or is completely biased in his conclusions.

Either way, he has solidified himself as a hack. If I ever read his articles, it will be with the assumption that he is full of ish and I will be reading for entertainment purposes only…not because I actually think I will learn something.

And because he writes for b/r and b/r would allow this kind of journalism to continue, I can’t help but think b/r isn’t worth reading at all.

1. The Purple Lion says:

I agree with Rage here. Personally, if a collegue of mine was being called out on something so wrong, I would distance myself from him, not make excuses for him… unless you want to be lumped into the same category as he is now. As a collegue, I would be very upset with him for discrediting b/r. Credibility is what a writer relies on, yes?

21. Greg Dewulf says:

This is the same asshole (Matt Miller) that had Alshon Jeffery as his 7 overall player in the draft. SEVEN. Ahead of Stephon Gilmore, Kendall Wright, Michael Floyd, Melvin Ingram.

22. Test_Run says:

Through his B/R 1000 and Draft evaluations, Miller also claims to have evaluated around 1300 players. In what, 3 months at most? Yeah, thats not exactly possible… 3 games a piece, 1 hour per game? 3900 hours of evaluation in a 2976 hour span. Phony.

1. Test_Run says:

Sorry, 4 month span at most. 124 days, 2976 hours.

23. UK Eagle Fan says:

Great posting Jimmy! Wonder what, if any, the reply will be!!

Now being from the UK, I’m relatively new to NFL and as such I am a novice, but I pick things up a little playing Madden, watching games, and reading informative sites. I also played Rugby Union for a few years and so I’d like to think I know contact sports when I see them! I’m gonna enjoy watching the scrums… err sorry battles at line of scrimmage from the All 22 camera angles now, and admire the athleticism and skills properly. That doesn’t mean I’m gonna start shooting off that I know this players better than that – I’ll leave that to the pros who have PROVEN they can do it, i.e. have been employed by a team to do it.

Keep up the hilarious postings !

24. Plax says:

i got so annoyed after reading the QB rankings miller did that i had to read them all, and you are correct sir. they are all awful. pretty much everything this douche writes is terrible and wrong

25. andiamo says:

just to clarrify…b/r stands for bleacher report right?

1. Gary says:

1. KByars says:

No, it stands for Basically Retarded.

26. rage114 says:

I hope this article gets back to him. What a hack.

27. Adamnb87 says:

Gave me a good laugh. Tweet him this article! #stirringthepot

28. Steve D. says:

What an a-hole.

Also, who is trying to prevent you from getting to the bathroom? I’m glad you fought your way through.

1. The cat is a real bastard to get by. He thinks I’m getting up to feed him and purposely gets in my way if I don’t head directly for the kitchen.

1. UK Eagle Fan says:

You need to employ the Jerome Simpson flip, or better still get a lead blocker like Jason Peters.

2. ICDogg says:

My cat knows better. He waits for me outside the bathroom and then starts his campaign from there.

3. LucyFur3d says:

Hahah my 1 year old son does that – he can be dead asleep, but if the oven or microwave turns on, he’s up in a flash wondering how much he’s gonna get. I am going to go broke because of his insatiable appetite…

29. Southern Philly says:

Just keep the “r” in Miller going and you get Matt Millen.

Coaches’ tape will make smart people smarter and dumb people dumber. Man, there’s going to be a lot of noise this season.

1. RogerPodacter says:

lol i thought this was about matt millen at first. oops.

1. Southern Philly says:

Millen already has access to coaches’ tape and can’t get any dumber.