The Redskins’ transaction list as it pertains to its secondary is becoming comical

On Saturday, the Redskins claimed a CB by the name of Morgan Trent off of waivers from the Jacksonville Jaguars, and waived CB Leigh Torrance.  Trent played with 3 teams in 2011: the Bengals, Colts, and Jags.  This will now be his 4th team in 7 months.  Torrence was actually a signing I liked a few months ago, but I guess the Skins didn’t like what they saw of him in camp, so he’s gone.  The Skins’ transaction list in regard to its secondary is becoming comical.  TheHogs.net does an outstanding job of keeping up with every official transaction (every team should have a blog that does this), and I weeded out all the transactions that have to do with the Redskins’ secondary.  We’re now up to a whopping 11 moves (not including UDFA signings):

Why you release me, Redskins?

1. March 12: Released Oshiomogho Atogwe
  2. March 15: Signed former Bears S Brandon Meriweather
  3. March 16: Signed former Vikings CB Cedric Griffin
  4. March 19: Unrestricted free agent LaRon Landry signs with the Jets
  5. April 10: Signed former 49ers S Madieu Williams
  6. April 10: Signed former Saints CB Leigh Torrence
  7. April 13: Signed former Buccaneers S Tanard Jackson
  8. April 28: Drafted CB Richard Crawford from SMU in the 7th round
  9. April 28: Drafted S Jordan Bernstein from Iowa in the 7th round
  10. June 2: Claimed CB Morgan Trent off of waivers from the Jaguars
  11. June 2: Waived CB Leigh Torrence

1. Jule Mossing says:

Cool video, Dude! Even I got it!

2. Social network Pinterest has been creating quite the buzz in the media lately. It has been recognized for driving more referral traffic to sites than Google+, Reddit, YouTube, LinkedIn and Myspace combinedVia smartblogs.com

3. nootropic says:

Rattling excellent information can be found on this blog.

4. I’d like to join the challenge!

5. Very useful roundup of social medial icons. I have always wanted to find a place where I can see useful free social icons, so i can look back to it whenever i need a free social icon set and I bet this place it nice to look back.

6. Thank you for the auspicious writeup. It in truth was once a leisure account it. Look complicated to far added agreeable from you! By the way, how can we keep in touch?

7. Lack of money is the root of all evil. -George Bernad Shaw

8. blah2 says:

Oh man. This blog is cool. How do you make it look this good ?

9. blah2 says:

It appears to me that this site doesnt load on a Motorola Droid. Are other people getting the same problem? I enjoy this site and dont want to have to miss it when Im away from my computer.

10. If you dont mind, where do you host your web site? I am looking for a good host and your web site seams to be extremely fast and up almost all the time

11. I like the valuable info you supply for your articles. I’ll bookmark your blog and check again here regularly. I’m somewhat sure I will be told many new stuff proper here! Good luck for the next!

12. Adelaide says:

you know, your blog is very well written, very close to lifehttp://www.cartaodecompras.net

13. low vitamin d symptoms…

Hey, you used to write wonderful, but the last few posts have been kinda boring๏ฟฝ I miss your super writings. Past few posts are just a bit out of track! come on!…

14. Roy says:

Skins QB situation is now: RGIII, Kirk Cousins, Rex Grossman. You wanna laugh at the secondary? Be my guest. You can’t fix every weakness in one offseason. The Skins have turned the biggest black hole on the team, the QB position, into a strength. I can live with a secondary in transition.

1. FrenchEagles says:

I like this analysis. And I’d think it’s not the priority of Shanahan. And if the front 7 works well enough (and I think the Skins have good players there), then the play of the secondary will be a lot easier. We’ll see if he’s right…

15. ct17 says:

What do all of these players have in common? No other team wanted them.

16. WeGotLinemen says:

Why did they cut Leigh Torrence?

They’ve had something like 7 or 8 OTA sessions and obviously they think he isn’t going to make the final roster.

Torrence is a career back-up and special teamer. His release probably means that Torrence is either injured, finished or that they think one or more of the youngsters: Thompson, Crawford and Minnifield are already ahead of him.

I am not sure if signing Morgan Trent is comical, maybe it is. From watching Leigh Torrence’s first stint with the ‘Skins it just seems like a like for like swap. A special teamer that might fit on the last 10 slots of an active roster.

Trent is just a bit younger, well 4-years younger. Trent has had just 3-interceptions in 3-seasons, but that doesn’t compare too badly with Torrence’s 2 in 8-seasons.

17. WeGotLinemen says:

Why did they sign renowned freelancer and penalty machine Brandon Meriweather, to replace Landry, even though he had a terrible season in Chicago’s cover 2-defense.

Meriweather was a two-time pro-bowler for New England .and a much bigger interception threat than Landry has ever been. The Redskins don’t play cover-2, they run a 3-4 alignment that probably bears a greater resemblance to the defense that Meriweather played well in.

Moreover, the wasn’t exactly a lot of safety talent available in free agency. The secondary was a weakness last year. The Skins needed new players and they’ve signed what was available to be signed.

1. Troy O says:

Meriweather Sucked his way out of NE.

18. WeGotLinemen says:

Why did they release Landry?

Landry put together a string of good performances just once in his career, the first half of the 2010 season. Otherwise, he has been a poor performer in coverage, a minimal interception threat and an individualist who didn’t turn up for the off-season training programme because he thinks he knows best.

He also, if reports are correct, has bone spurs near the insertion of his injured achillies tendon. He’s elected to ignore the team’s medical advisors and opted for blood enriched platelet therapy, which conspicuously failed last year, and, alledgedly, stem cell treatments. Neither of which will be able to anything about the bone spurs. They might, just might help with the rehabilitation of the tendon but they’ll do nothing to protect it from being damaged again by the bone spurs.

19. WeGotLinemen says:

Why did the Redskins release Atogwe.

Towards the end of last season Atogwe had lost his starting job to Reed Doughty. That’s how slow Atogwe had become.

Atogwe looked like he was playing through injury even when he claimed he was fully fit. When Mike Shanahan held a press conference and stated that Atogwe wouldn’t start until he was healthy, Atogwe came out and said he was actually fully recovered. 95% of Redskins fans would have backed Shanahan’s belief that Atogwe was still injured.

Every step Atogwe took looked laboured and painful. At one point De’Sean Jackson tried to taunt Atogwe but couldn’t run slowly enough for Atogwe to even get close.

So, why did they release Atogwe, probably for exactly for the same reasons he has not been picked up by any of the teams he tried out for this off-season.

1. deg0ey says:

“At one point De’Sean Jackson tried to taunt Atogwe but couldn’t run slowly enough for Atogwe to even get close.”

I think that’s the best sentence that anybody has ever written.

20. Dez Bryant's Probation Officer says:

IT’s not called the “Secondary” in Washington, it’s called the “Tertiary”.

21. rage114 says:

It’s funny because none of the moves really are improvements. It’s like rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.

22. DaCrock says:

I guess if it’s the Redskins making a number of moves in an area acknowledged to be one in need of an upgrade, then to you it’s becoming COMICAL. Well, to me, it’s simply being prudent in addressing a need. And if it ends up with their secondary being upgraded, I think you would admit their defense will likely be a force to be reckoned with, as you have said on multiple occasions on this site that you like their front 7 and think it’s solid.

I wonder if you thought it was becoming COMICAL when your Eagles were making so many moves along the offensive line last year? A new O-line coach in Howard Mudd transitions to a different blocking scheme and, as a result, several personnel changes take place. You obviously think it worked out pretty well, because you have professed that you believe the Eagles have the best offensive line in the NFCE.

Now the Redskins bring in a new secondary coach. Aren’t changes inevitable there too when you’re trying to improve your defense? The Skins are planning to employ new schemes in the secondary, and some require players with a different skill set–not unlike last year’s Eagles moves under a new coach with their O-line. How about waiting to see how it all plays out before referring to the moves as becoming comical?

1. Not saying they’re wrong to bring in a lot of guys to find a combo that works (or at least the combo that is the least terrible). I’m just saying it’s funny.

1. FrenchEagles says:

I agree with Jimmy. It may work, or not. But it’s really impressive and really funny to see all these moves, knowing that the offseason is not finished. But if I were a skins fan, I wouldn’t be confident with the secondary…

I should dig in the last offseason of the Eagles, I don’t remember so many moves on the OL, besides the draft and Mathis. But I may be wrong.

2. DaCrock says:

So similarly, I guess you thought it was “funny” when the Eagles were playing musical chairs with their offensive line last year? Strange, but I don’t remember reading that you thought it was funny at the time.

Nor do I remember you finding all of the Eagles changes with their linebacking corps “funny” as they tried to find a combo that works (or at least the combo that was the least terrible). I don’t recall your referring to those efforts as becoming comical. Or their constant changes at the safety position? Was that becoming comical? As you know all too well, every team is constantly trying to upgrade its personnel, and it’s not uncommon to see more moves happen in areas needing the greatest attention.

1. Here we go with the “You’re biased” stuff.

Here’s what I wrote December 9th:

“Eagles to have 4th nickle LB combo this season – Reuben Frank’s twitter account

Jamar Chaney heads to the bench. None of the Eagles’ starting LBs will play in the nickle, because that makes sense. The comical LB chaos under Andy Reid continues.”

Even used that exact word: “comical”

And here’s me criticizing the Eagles for going with two rookies along the interior of the OL to start the season:

Satisfied?

1. FrenchEagles says:

Thanks Jimmy, I was digging your posts in order to do that.

I, as an Eagles fan, already said that the Eagles were comical or pathetic with their safeties and linebackers, and I read Jimmy saying it a lot. I was scared about the OL and the LB of the Eagles before last season. I was half right.

Skins fans, be honest with yourself: are you happy to see 11 moves on the secondary? Are you confident with this position for next year? If you’re ok with your secondary, then great. But accept that it can be criticized at least…

1. DaCrock says:

I’ll close my part of the back and forth here. I’ll accept Jimmy’s response on the Eagles linebacker situation and actual use of the word comical there.

My point was that in referring to the Redskins offseason transactions in the secondary, he brings up an insignificant Leigh Torrence sign and release, and doesn’t place the 11 transactions to date in the proper context of a new secondary coach coming in and tinkering to try to upgrade an obvious area of weakness.

Believe me, as a Skins fan, I can take the criticism, and my team has been well deserving of much of it based on their performance over the last decade or so.

The most relevant comparison to me is the commentary on the Skins secondary vs. last year’s Eagles O-line. New coaches (Raheem Morris and Howard Mudd). Lots of moves. Yes, Jimmy critcized starting two young guys in the interior of the line, but that’s different than saying it’s becoming comical. But maybe I’m wrong, maybe Jimmy did write a similar piece on the Eagles offensive line transactions last season and find moves involving these players becoming comical (dates omited):

Nick Cole
              Max Jean-Gilles
              Reggie Wells
              Ryan Harris
              Evan Mathis
              Danny Watkins
              Jason Kelce
              Julian Vandervelde
              Kyle Devan
              Mike McGlynn

I think the Eagles made a very smooth transition last year with changes to their offensive line that were not insignificant. I hope the Skins have similar success in revamping their secondary. And I don’t find the number of moves becoming comical. While I’m skeptical of some (as Jimmy was about some of the Eagles O-line moves), I’m encouraged that the Skins aren’t being complacent and standing pat when an area of weakness needed to be addressed.

1. Troy O says:

There is some good players on that incoming list. Not sure u can say the same about the Skins.

Leading to comedy.

2. The Eagles had a pretty set OL when camp began. It was going to be:

LT: Jason Peters
                LG: Todd Herremans
                C: Jason Kelce was splitting 1st team reps with Jamaal Jackson
                RG: Danny Watkins
                RT: Ryan Harris

But some things happened along the way, and the Eagles adjusted on the fly:

– Ryan Harris suddenly needed back surgery, so he was done, and Winston Justice still hadn’t recovered from an injury, so he wasn’t ready to fill in. Herremans moved over to RT (as he had done successfully in the past), which opened up some competition at LG.

– Cole and MJG were free agents and the Eagles never had any plans of bringing them back. They were fortunate to have signed Mathis for depth, and were lucky he came in and played so well. He wound up beating out McGlynn, who had already been on the team for 3-4 years.

– Watkins, meanwhile, stunk in camp, and the preseason, with the shortened offseason not doing him any favors. So the Eagles signed Kyle DeVan (an old Mudd guy) to play while Watkins got up to speed. DeVan was atrocious and Watkins ultimately took over for him aroun Week 5 or 6.

That situation was completely differen than the Redskins’ situation in their secondary.

If you consider the slot corner is almost kind of like a starting position like I do, I don’t think the Redskins have much of an idea who is going to start for them Week 1 at 3 of the 5 starting spots in their secondary. They’ve made 11 moves in their secondary. And it’s JUNE! Plenty more to come.

2. Anders says:

How dare you bring actually facts on a football blog? 😛

23. Kevin says:

Yea….the over in every Redskins game is looking mighty fine.