Random notes from around the NFC East: A new NFL profile pic legend is born!

– Apologies for the weak article production over the weekend.  Visited the parents, celebrated our cat’s 6th birthday (his name is Butters, and yes, we sang to him), had a birthday of my own yesterday (which was spent power washing the deck), etc.  Anyway, I’ll be ramping it back up this week.  There are more OTAs this week, and I’ll be re-watching a number of games from the 2011 season, so some film breakdowns will be on the way.

– Great statistical find by Rich Tandler of CSN Washington:

Robert Griffin III was the most accurate deep thrower in major college football last year. He completed 50.9 percent of his passes that traveled 25-plus yards. And rarely did he throw it up for grabs; his touchdown to interception ratio on those deep throws was 20-1.

Rich then goes on to wonder who will catch RG3’s deep balls in Washington.  I happen to think the Skins’ skill position players are much improved over last year, but they don’t have much in the way of scary vertical threats.

– Outstanding find by Eagles writer Jordan Raanan here:

Camilli’s profile pic is right there with the other former/present NFC East greats like OJ Atogwe and Josh LeRibeus.

– Good article here by my boy Lars on space players, and which Cowboys need to be the guys that make big plays when they get some room to operate in the soft areas of the field.  Lars has Miles Austin and Felix Jones earmarked as those kinds of players, if healthy.  I agree, however, Dez Bryant needs to step up there as well.  Looking around the rest of the NFC East, I’d say that Fred Davis will be that guy for the Skins this year, Victor Cruz was very much that guy for the Giants last year, and the guy that is as dangerous as anyone in the league if he gets some space is DeSean Jackson.

– Great film breakdown by Raf at Cowboys Nation, showing the X’s and O’s behind the play where Bear Pascoe hurdled Terence Newman last season.

More after the jump…

– Kind of agree with Dan Graziano that Hakeem Nicks is injury prone.  Dan noted that being injury prone doesn’t mean he’s not a great player (and I’ll add that it doesn’t mean that he’s not a tough player either), but when you’ve missed some time in every season, you begin to wonder if he’s a tad fragile.

– Terrell Owens will never be forgiven for wrecking the 2005 Eagles season, but at this point, I’m not even taking glee in what is going on with him lately.  In May alone, he’s been lectured by Dr. Phil for being a deadbeat dad, and gotten kicked off an indoor football league team.  He has roughly a 0% chance of latching on with an NFL team, and as we saw (or at least from what I’ve heard) he kinda sucked on TV when he and Ochocinco had their own show, so I don’t think CBS, FOX, ESPN, or NFLN are going to be banging down his door to put him in front of a camera.  Then again, NFLN employs the utterly useless duo of Warren Sapp and Jamie Dukes, as well as the “If I scream it, it’s good analysis” duo of Michael Irvin and Deion Sanders, so I guess there’s some hope there.  Anyway, some people don’t adapt well when they’ve been in the spotlight for so long, and then in a blink, it’s gone.  He needs help.

– Asante Samuel is apparently entertaining the people covering Falcons camp the same way he did for so many years at Lehigh.

Cowboys East will be on Hard Knocks this year.  I’m mildly intrigued.  I’ve always thought of Jeff Ireland and Stephen Ross to be among the worst owner/GM combos in the league, so it could be fun to see them in action behind the scenes.  But I couldn’t possibly care any less about that team or their players.

– RG3 has the top selling jersey in the league.  In related news, I can’t get into Redskins OTAs because they were overrun with credential requests from local and national media hoping to get a peek at the kid, and I was a little late on the draw. 🙁  I should be a go for a 3 or 4 day stretch of training camp though.  Apologies to my Redskins readers for that.

– New gig for me writing about the Giants/NFCE at SNY.  Should be writing about an article or two per week there.

1. blah2 says:

I think one of your ads caused my internet browser to resize, you might well need to set that on your blacklist.

2. Thanks for some other fantastic post. The place else may just anybody get that kind of info in such an ideal method of writing? I have a presentation subsequent week, and I’m at the look for such info.

3. You can certainly see your expertise within the work you write. The world hopes for even more passionate writers like you who aren’t afraid to say how they believe. All the time go after your heart.

4. I’ve been surfing on-line more than three hours today, but I never discovered any fascinating article like yours. It’s beautiful value sufficient for me. Personally, if all web owners and bloggers made just right content material as you probably did, the net will be a lot more helpful than ever before.

5. Timbo says:

Pardon my ignorance, but how exactly did Owens ruin the Eagles 05 season? The only thing I remember is TO making a deal with Andy Reid to wear his under armor to practice if he scored enough touchdowns… And how could we forget Roy Williams infamous horse collar tackle? haha

1. That was ’04. I would have had his babies in ’04.

Sit ups in the driveway was ’05.

6. It’s awesome to pay a quick visit this web page and reading the views of all friends concerning this paragraph, while I am also eager of getting experience.

7. Nicely designed publish, properly looked into as well as ideal for individually afterwards.

8. Casa rural says:

Hallo! Ich m�chte nur zu einem riesigen Daumen aufgeben f�r deze tolle Informatie haben Sie alhier zu diesem Beitrag. Ich werde

9. Heya i’m for the first time here. I found this board and I to find It really useful & it helped me out a lot. I am hoping to present one thing back and help others like you aided me.

10. noe imot. Natually Jeg skal gi deg plus link p� din web blogg. Takk for deling.

11. ICDogg says:

For all you can say about T.O., he was pretty good to his fans. He even replied to a message I sent him when he was recovering from that leg injury before the Super Bowl. (It was nothing but “Thanks” followed by a smiley face, but it was more than you get from most players.)

12. ICDogg says:

Congrats on the SNY gig. Well deserved.

13. […] good buddy Jimmy Bama has some good news.  Buried in a post, with some stuff worth checking out, is this […]

14. bc says:

Make sure you post links to your columns at SNY, at least at first until we get used to going there.

15. Immynimmy says:

Happy birthday to you and your cat Jimmy!

16. One.cool.customer says:

Happy Birthday, Jimmy.

And you’re not far off the mark regarding the NFC East space players. Victor Cruz had the second most yards after catch of any WR behind Wes Welker.

Jackson may have the potential, but didn’t deliver last year, with only 247 YAC, ranked 38th among WR. Celek looked much better as the space guy with 487 YAC, which is 60% of his total receiving yards. That 60% ranks him no. 2 among all tight ends with more than 20 receptions, even ahead of Gronkowski (49%) and Hernandez (57%).

Fred Davis could be that guy for Washington if he doesn’t miss another four games, but don’t sleep on Roy Helu, he’ll be an even more interesting receiving option in Washington this year.

17. Dez Bryant's Probation Officer says:

Can you share any information about your experience with the power washer? My wife is nagging me to clean the porch, which is old, painted, and peeling. I think if I get one of those turbo power washers, it’ll strip everything away, leave a naked wood porch, and she’ll stop naggging me. Thoughts?

1. The idea behind power washing a deck is that you strip away pieces that are peeling off so that you can re-paint it. You’re not going to get all the paint off so that it’ll leave a naked wood porch. Once it’s painted, you’ll never get all the paint off, but as far as getting rid of the chipped/peeling pieces, it’s either power wash it, or sand it. Sanding it will give you better results, but it’s hard work. I care enough about how my deck looks that I’ll power wash it, but not so much that I’ll sand it.

In other words, the nagging isn’t going away.

1. Dez Bryant's Probation Officer says:

Thanks for the “This Old House” moment.
        Maybe I’ll use acid to strip my porch. That’ll piss off the wife, and the neighbors.

Oh, and Happy Birthday. Keep up the good work!

18. BBI says:

Happy birthday, Jimmy!

1. giantsfan says:

Mine is the 30th. Happy birthday, bro!

1. No, happy birthday to you then.