My take on Hakeem Nicks’ broken foot: “Meh”

Last week, I wrote about the 10 players each NFC East team could least afford to lose to injury.  In the Giants’ edition of that series, I had Hakeem Nicks ranked 3rd.  Sorry for the jinx, Hakeem.

Nicks broke the 5th metatarsal in his foot today.  Obviously, this is not good news for the Giants, and for Hakeem Nicks.  However, (and this is easy for me to say), due to the timing, it’s not a big deal, in my opinion.  Hakeem Nicks is only 24 years old, but watching him on tape, you would never know it.  He and Eli Manning already have a great rapport.  Eli trusts Hakeem, and Hakeem always knows where he needs to be.  For a player so young, he’s extremely polished.

He’ll have surgery (a screw will be placed in his foot), and the prognosis is 3 months, which, going through the months in my head (May to June, June to July, July to August), will put him back on the field before the Giants host the Cowboys at home on September 5th.  That is assuming, of course, that everything goes well with the surgery and subsequent recovery.  It is also assuming that the foot won’t continue to nag him beyond the expected recovery period.

In the meantime, as a silver lining, the Giants will get a better look at the handful of receivers vying for the #3 WR spot.  That will be especially beneficial for 2nd year receiver Jerrel Jernigan and rookie Reuben Randle.  Domenik Hixon and Ramses Barden are also in that mix.

For what it’s worth, the last time Nicks came back from an injury (he missed 2 weeks in 2010), he had 7 catches for 96 yards against the Vikings in a crucial game with playoff implications.

I don’t think he’ll miss a beat.  Just don’t give him a roll-a-bout.

1. Your ISP may require you to rename your main index file to a certain file name such as index.htm or index.html or home, in order for that server to correctly identify the correct webpage as the start file. Whatever it is they will indicate on the net server faqs or setup pages. It could be any amount of names or extensions names. Some Isp’s require that you rename your home file from iWeb’s index.html to index.htm or to home.html or welcome.html .

2. MBT Shoes says:

Keep up the good function , I read couple of posts on this internet site and I believe that your particular web site is actually rattling interesting and has circles involving superb details.

3. Heya i’m for the first time here. I came across this board and I to find It truly useful & it helped me out much. I hope to give something back and help others such as you helped me.

4. You know therefore significantly in the case of this matter, made me individually imagine it from a lot of various angles. Its like men and women aren’t fascinated until it is one thing to accomplish with Woman gaga! Your own stuffs great. Always care for it up!

5. Excellent put up, very informative. I ponder why the opposite experts of this sector don’t notice this. You should continue your writing. I’m sure, you have a great readers’ base already!|What’s Taking place i am new to this, I stumbled upon this I’ve discovered It positively useful and it has aided me out loads. I am hoping to contribute & aid other customers like its aided me. Great job.

6. You could definitely see your skills within the work you write. The sector hopes for even more passionate writers like you who aren’t afraid to say how they believe. At all times go after your heart.

7. Tracer Bullet says:

When he can get back on the field is one thing, but when will he be allowed to run? His conditioning will be a concern early in the season.

Hmmm… not sure if this one will count towards our luck stock due to injury karma or not.

9. ArthuroMolenda says:

First nail in the coffin … Superbowl baby !

Serioulsy though it’s not THAT bad.
    Obviously it sucks for Nicks, I hope he recovers well.

10. giantsfan says:

Thankfully we’re opening against Dallas (aka scrubs).

… I kid, I kid.

11. ICDogg says:

Jason Peters has offered him the use of his Roll-A-Bout.

12. AustonianAggie says:

I don’t know, he’s a smooth route runner and a metacarpal deals a lot in how a player plants. He could be rusty through October just getting his polish back

13. GrammarNazi says:

Rapport. Not “repore”.

No way this is not a major hit to their start of the season. If Maclin went down with an injury like that, would we be excited at taking a look at McNutt in the mean time?

1. Ha, oops. (embarrassed)

2. Grammar aside, nobody is saying the Giants should be excited. Why over-exaggerate the message? I’ll never understand why people do that.

1. deg0ey says:

“I’ll never understand why people do that.”

Because it makes you sound unreasonable and makes it easier for them to argue with you :p

2. GrammarNazi says:

Dude has a broken bone. In his leg. That he runs on. Because, you know, running is what he does. Who is over-exaggerating the message? Any reaction would be an exaggeration, I guess. All I was saying is that when people say “oh, but the silver lining is…” it’s usually because the news itself is bad. “Meh” just didn’t seem to jive with that.

14. Dez Bryant's Probation Officer says:

Put him on a Honda Uni-Cub

15. No Salsa says:

His leg aint broke he just didnt wont to face Carr& Claiborne & get Xposed!

1. Crash says:

This is Poe’s Law at its finest.

2. BBI says:

Someone get this man a Nobel Prize! He figured it out!

16. Euler.is.a.pimp says:

“Meh” -JimmyK

That’s the kind of expert analysis that keeps me coming back to the site.

1. Journalizin’, bitch.

17. BBI says:

The last part….please oh please, do not give him a roll-a-bout