In a shocker, Cowboys trade up from 14 to 6, select Morris Claiborne

Wow, power move.  The Cowboys reportedly traded their 1st round pick (14) and their 2nd (45) to move up to 6 to select LSU CB Morris Claiborne.

This offseason, the Cowboys jettisoned the over-the-hill Terence Newman, and brought in Brandon Carr via free agency.  That fixed one side.  On the other side, Mike Jenkins had an abysmal 2010, but rebounded in 2011, and played much better.  Jenkins has one year left on his contract, and wanted to sign a long term deal in Dallas.  However, the Cowboys said publicly they had no plans of extending him.  With Orlando Scandrick firmly in place as the slot corner, that leaves Jenkins as the odd man out, I would imagine.  I suspect the Cowboys will now try to deal Jenkins.

Morris Claiborne is a star, and should be an outstanding CB in the NFL for the next decade+.  However, while CB was a need area for the Cowboys, it wasn’t on the level of interior OL, DL, OLB, and S.  And they just spent their first two picks on that position, moving up to do so.  Jerry Jones’d.

1. xbox cheats says:

I’ll come play at wii. I try to speak English but i’m very bad x) Sorry for my English followers.

2. Imp says:

Well that secondary is going to be annoying trying to pass against now…

3. Gary says:

I think it’s a great move by Dallas. When I first heard of it, I thought they must’ve had to give up something like their 2nd and 4th, or maybe next year’s 1st and something else. Good value, great player.

4. Brian says:

Scandrick will end up moving to FS. They tried it in camp a few years ago but Newman got hurt and they put him back at CB

1. I like Scandrick, and I think he possesses some attributes that you’d like in a safety. Tough, willing to stick his nose in and make a tough tackle. But man… 5’10, 190ish… that is not ideal. And switching positions like that is a lot easier said than done.

I think we just need to wait until at least the weekend is over to so we can see what the real plan is here, but I don’t see Scandrick-to-S as a realistic option.

1. Jimmer says:

Not saying they are anyway comparable talent-wise but Troy polamalu is 5’10” 207.

1. Jimmer says:

And just for fun: Earl Thomas 5’10 202.

2. I like Scandrick too, but don’t want to see him moved to FS. Don’t think he’d last too long there. Besides, that hardly ever works, lol.

5. Mike says:

Sorry, but I disagree about your “questionable decision” point.

Last year it was: Jenkins, Newman, Scandrick, Ball.

This year it is: Carr, Claiborne, Jenkins, Scandrick.

Tell me that isn’t a MASSIVE upgrade, that not only makes huge immediate dividends, but also sets them up with one of the better group of secondaries in the league for the next few seasons. I’d say for this season, they’ve got the best secondary in the East, and if they move Jenkins, they’re still competitive with Philly.

Beyond that…they don’t have to pay Jenkins next year. Because next season, there would have been a TON of pressure to make sure they had a solid top 3 at corner. And Jenkins, who’s only had one truly good season so far in his career, would’ve wanted at least as much money as Brandon Carr.

Say what you want about the Cowboys needing DL particularly…but the honest to god truth is that the Cowboys were still tied for 7th in the league for sacks, and were top 10 in other pressure numbers. Meanwhile, their secondary was dead last in the NFL in positive play stats. While Barron would have been great…this pick is just amazing. Even if it was pretty damn expensive.

1. Can Jenkins play the slot? That’s the question. Because if not, it’s Carr, Claiborne, Scandrick, Jenkins.

1. DerfDiggy says:

It’ll be Scandrick in the slot…Pretty sure Jenkins will start opposite of Carr early in the season, and then depending on how he plays Claiborne will move into his spot…Claiborne will play nickel…

orrr….1 safety on the field and 4 cb’s…hmm

1. Mike says:

I was about to say. Who’s to say that the Cowboys can’t put Jenkins in as a deep corner/safety? Try him out there.

Even if it is Carr, Claiborne, Scandrick, Jenkins…so what? Are you suggesting that isn’t better than having Alan effing Ball out there for 500 snaps?

2. “1 safety on the field and 4 cb’s…hmm”

Shady likes the sound of this!

1. DerfDiggy says:

lol shady was gonna get his anyways…..Shady = Best RB in the league…hands down.

6. WeNeedLinemen says:

Instinctively, this looks like a good move for the Cowboys. I hate that.

Moving up from 14 to 6 for a 2nd looks quite cheep. The Jags gave up as much to move from 16 to 10 last year. Plus. Claiborne looks really good.

1. DerfDiggy says:

Yep….
      It’s a 2nd…but they get the best corner in the draft. Draft picks are overrated during this time of the year anyways.

7. Immynimmy says:

COX!

8. DerfDiggy says:

Great pick….Especially if they can move Jenkins for a 4th or 5th.

1. Great player, but questionable decision there. Needs more digesting. And I need to see the plan for Jenkins.

1. DerfDiggy says:

Even if Jenkins leaves after this year and you get nothing(worst case)….you’ve drafted his replacement…instead of pulling a Spencer. It can’t be both ways here… I’m admittedly a HUGE claiborne fan, and didn’t think there was anyways possible that Jerry would pull this off.

Carr + Claiborne + Scandrick is a major upgrade.