Giants select RB David Wilson in the first round, I have a totally unsubstantiated reasoning why they may have “settled” on him

Allow me to preface this by saying that I don’t know jack squat about what went on in the Giants War Room, and I’m certainly not privy to their big board, but allow me to lay something out quickly:

• Tampa traded up ahead of the Giants to 31.
  • Tampa drafted Boise St. RB Doug Martin, a player that was unanimously more highly rated than Virginia Tech RB David Wilson.
  • The Giants, unlike pretty much every other team in the first round, used up the entire allotted time to make their pick.
  • They Giants then chose Wilson.

OK, now here’s what I think may have happened:

• The Giants wanted to pick Martin.
  • He got snagged from under their clutches.
  • They tried to trade out.
  • They didn’t find any suitors.
  • They settled on Wilson.

Now, similar situations have worked out for the Giants in the past.  It was widely rumored that the Giants were trying to get their hands on Jeremy Maclin, when the Eagles jumped up and snagged him instead.  They “settled” on Hakeem Nicks.  Both players can play, but I don’t think the Giants have looked back at that one with any remorse.

I’ve sort of learned not to criticize the Giants’ draft picks, but… Ah, screw it.  I’m not a fan of this pick.  Coby Fleener was there.  Cordy Glenn was there.  Those were two players, in my opinion, that represented “value-meets-need” situations.  But I’m not a scout.  Time will tell.

1. how says:

I do believe all the concepts you’ve introduced for your post. They are very convincing and can certainly work. Still, the posts are too short for novices. May just you please extend them a bit from subsequent time? Thanks for the post.

2. I cherished up to you will receive performed proper here. The caricature is tasteful, your authored subject matter stylish. however, you command get got an shakiness over that you wish be handing over the following. in poor health certainly come further previously once more as exactly the same just about a lot often inside of case you protect this hike.

3. belleza says:

Great publish, very informative. I’m wondering why the other experts of this sector don’t realize this. You should proceed your writing. I’m confident, you have a great readers’ base already!|What’s Going down i’m new to this, I stumbled upon this I’ve discovered It positively helpful and it has aided me out loads. I am hoping to give a contribution & help different users like its helped me. Good job.

4. Excellent issues altogether, you just received a new reader. What might you recommend about your publish that you made some days in the past? Any positive?

5. Cat Health says:

Hi I have to say for presenting absorbing information.I am now bookmarking your page for future updates.good luck with the great work.

6. I don’t even know how I finished up here, however I assumed this put up was good. I don’t realize who you are however definitely you’re going to a famous blogger in the event you aren’t already. Cheers!

1. Immynimmy says:

It’s like they said:

“Huh, whos’s that. Oh well, let’s just celebrate”

2. Ha, yup, that would be the “My team just won the Super Bowl and I’ll clap even if they draft Betty White” reaction.

7. giantsfan says:

I believe the Giants tried to trade out because they saw that there was a lot of “first round” value dropping to the second round and I believe that nobody wanted to give them what they wanted for the pick …. but the more I watch this kid (and it might be wishful thinking) but the more excited I get about him. Yes our O-Line has some major issues but I have a feeling we’ll be drafting an o-lineman in the next few rounds anyways and the Giants must have seen something in Glenn that made them pass on him in the first … like every other team.

8. WeNeedLinemen says:

The Giants draft really well, so it will probably work for them, but this is the first “rival pick” that I felt content about.

First, the Giants have been really good at finding RB talent in the mid and late rounds. Using a first to get Wilson seems like par for the course. It’s not a bad pick, it is a “meh!” pick.

Second, I really like Bradshaw, I think he is under-rated. They might be a little more tempted to give a first rounder more carries than his performance perhaps justifies. Anything that takes the ball our of Bradshaw’s hands is fine by me.

Third, the problems their run game had last year seemed to have a lot to do with their o-line getting old and banged up. They’ve still got a lot of time and picks to address that area but I don’t think Wilson is the sort of back who will make his line look better than it really is.

1. I like Bradshaw too, but he has a tool shed in his foot. I think that’s the thinking here. Not that they “think” he’s going to miss time, but the recognition that don’t have squat behind him if he does.

9. Rollo T says:

When I heard this pick I figured one of two things: The Giants had Wilson rated higher than most teams, or the Giants really didn’t like what they saw in Upshaw and Glenn. Fleener to me was never an option. Best TE to a team that “needs” a TE is never a perfect melding. Fleener is not a good blocker, and the Giants just got burned trying to turn a player like him into their style of player (Beckum). I figure if Fleener dropped to the end of the second they’d be fine to grab him there, but they’re not worried about that.

I do think they wanted Martin and they wanted to trade down, but I don’t think this was a reach. Remember, the Giants tried to trade out of 19 last year when Prince fell not because they didn’t like Prince, but because the Giants like to explore their options. I think the Giants looked around, tried to see if anyone wanted up for Upshaw or Glenn, didn’t find any suitors willing to give them what they wanted, and said “Get Wilson”. I think it’s as simple as that. I’ve doubted Reese way too often and been proven wrong too often to have any doubt.

http://cdn1.sbnation.com/imported_assets/1053416/broslap.gif This pick sums up my reaction. “David Wilson? Who’s that? Fuck that, good pick Jerry!” *brofist*

10. Steve D. says:

Maybe everyone in the sports media can now drop the “Giants don’t draft for need, they always take the best player on their board regardless of position” line that is parroted over and over again with religious zeal. This pick may work out great, but it was definitley a need-based pick. (Note, I have no doubt that the Giants would say that he was the highest player on their board, but every team says that for every pick).

1. NYG_slater says:

and the giants would agree with you. Reese said in his press release that wilson was their 2nd highest rated RB (higher than martin) But they had a grp of guys that were all rated in the same area with wilson, and they went with wilson because he also was “a bit of a need”

1. Anders says:

I can only guess what other players they have rated in the same area, but if any of them was an o-lineman, I cannot understand why they took a RB over him

11. Anders says:

Who is going to block for Manning?

1. Steve D. says:

I will if they want me to, but then again I may be a double agent working for the Eagles to get back at the Giants for Steve Smith.

12. Andy says:

I’m a giants fan and I agree with you exactly. I have difficulty critizing Jerry Reese, but I’m not a huge fan

1. Free Plax says:

Another JR head scratcher, However givien JR’s track record I am willing to wait and see before I render judgment on the kid. Praying we get some O-line help