– I’m sick 🙁
– Jeff McLane is reporting that an Asante Samuel deal to the Falcons is almost done. The thinking is that the compensation is a 6th round pick. Absolute steal for the Falcons.
– In case you missed my pre-draft depth charts here they are for each team:
– Vinny Cerrato continues to make himself look bad. He’s claiming that the Redskins almost traded up to draft LeSean McCoy, but running backs coach Stump Mitchell talked him out of it. From DC Sports Bog:
I remember one time we had a trade, we were in the second round and had a trade done. I called Stump Mitchell the running back coach, I said ‘Stump, I can trade right now, I can get the second-round pick. We can take Shady McCoy. Do you want him? I can get it done. We’re on the clock. I’m on the phone.’ He said, ‘No, I don’t want him.’ I said okay. I said I’m not trading for a guy if my position coach does not want the guy.”
OK… so… this wasn’t discussed in the 3 months leading up to the draft? The first time the possibility of moving up to draft LeSean McCoy came literally while some team was on the clock and Cerrato was on the phone with them? I’ve been more prepared for fantasy football drafts than that. Frankly, I’m not sure what’s worse… that Cerrato sold out his former colleague Mitchell, or that he was woefully unprepared for a draft.
– I’m 100% on board with Sheil Kapadia of Philly.com on his take on the Eagles drafting a QB in the 2nd round:
I like a lot about what the Eagles have done this offseason, but I’m not sure what the plan is to back up Michael Vick. At this point, it looks like Mike Kafka and Trent Edwards will compete for the No. 2 position. That doesn’t seem good enough to me if this team wants to make a run. It’s possible they’ll still try to add a veteran quarterback in the coming months.
But as I’ve explained in the past, I don’t think drafting a second-tier quarterback makes sense this year. For example, having Kafka and someone like Kirk Cousins backing up Vick doesn’t do anything for me. If a guy drops and they perceive value, that’s one thing. But there are too many other areas to address, especially on the first two days of the draft.
Other good stuff there from Sheil as well. Worth a look.
– Anthony Spencer signed his franchise tender. I’ve seen some chatter among Cowboys fans that the Cowboys can now trade him for a pick if they take an edge rusher early in the draft. Well… Let’s think about that one for a second. He’s an average player, he’s making $8.8 million in 2012, and he’ll be a free agent after this season. Who’s lining up to take on that kind of situation, much less give up a pick to do so?
– Morris Claiborne was featured on NFL Network this morning in an interview. I did not see a kid that scored a 4 on the Wonderlic.
– Giants remain quiet.
A day and a half to go. I don’t want to see another mock draft ever again.