Random thoughts around the NFCE: Samuel to Falcons all but done

– I’m sick 🙁

– Jeff McLane is reporting that an Asante Samuel deal to the Falcons is almost done.  The thinking is that the compensation is a 6th round pick.  Absolute steal for the Falcons.

– In case you missed my pre-draft depth charts here they are for each team:

– Vinny Cerrato continues to make himself look bad.  He’s claiming that the Redskins almost traded up to draft LeSean McCoy, but running backs coach Stump Mitchell talked him out of it. From DC Sports Bog:

I remember one time we had a trade, we were in the second round and had a trade done. I called Stump Mitchell the running back coach, I said ‘Stump, I can trade right now, I can get the second-round pick. We can take Shady McCoy. Do you want him? I can get it done. We’re on the clock. I’m on the phone.’ He said, ‘No, I don’t want him.’ I said okay. I said I’m not trading for a guy if my position coach does not want the guy.”

OK… so… this wasn’t discussed in the 3 months leading up to the draft?  The first time the possibility of moving up to draft LeSean McCoy came literally while some team was on the clock and Cerrato was on the phone with them?  I’ve been more prepared for fantasy football drafts than that.  Frankly, I’m not sure what’s worse… that Cerrato sold out his former colleague Mitchell, or that he was woefully unprepared for a draft.

– I’m 100% on board with Sheil Kapadia of Philly.com on his take on the Eagles drafting a QB in the 2nd round:

I like a lot about what the Eagles have done this offseason, but I’m not sure what the plan is to back up Michael Vick. At this point, it looks like Mike Kafka and Trent Edwards will compete for the No. 2 position. That doesn’t seem good enough to me if this team wants to make a run. It’s possible they’ll still try to add a veteran quarterback in the coming months.

But as I’ve explained in the past, I don’t think drafting a second-tier quarterback makes sense this year. For example, having Kafka and someone like Kirk Cousins backing up Vick doesn’t do anything for me. If a guy drops and they perceive value, that’s one thing. But there are too many other areas to address, especially on the first two days of the draft.

Other good stuff there from Sheil as well. Worth a look.

– Anthony Spencer signed his franchise tender.  I’ve seen some chatter among Cowboys fans that the Cowboys can now trade him for a pick if they take an edge rusher early in the draft.  Well… Let’s think about that one for a second.  He’s an average player, he’s making $8.8 million in 2012, and he’ll be a free agent after this season.  Who’s lining up to take on that kind of situation, much less give up a pick to do so?

– Morris Claiborne was featured on NFL Network this morning in an interview.  I did not see a kid that scored a 4 on the Wonderlic.

– Giants remain quiet.

A day and a half to go.  I don’t want to see another mock draft ever again.

1. knihy says:

Thanks for the auspicious writeup. It actually used to be a leisure account it. Glance complex to far added agreeable from you! However, how can we communicate?

2. I went over this web site and I believe you have a lot of good information, saved to fav

3. I have been exploring for a bit for any high quality articles or blog posts on this sort of house . Exploring in Yahoo I ultimately stumbled upon this web site. Reading this information So i am happy to show that I’ve an incredibly excellent uncanny feeling I came upon exactly what I needed. I most no doubt will make certain to do not omit this web site and give it a look regularly.

4. George says:

regarding the spencer “trade,” i believe the thought of Cowboys fans is that they could trade Spencer for a mid round choice, as long as he agrees to a “trade and sign” scenario, where he is traded to team x and signs a long term deal… while he’s not extremely talented, he’s better than a lot of OLB’s out there

5. Absolute agree with the post author! Any other opinions here?

6. ubrab says:

I’m pissed as hell that such a good player is getting traded to a potential playoff opponent (even if I am not a believer) for such a low pick. Really pissed.

7. NYG_slater says:

Help me out Jimmy, I’m not really sure I understand the asante deal. I get that the compensation is so negligible because of his contract $$. But I thought the eagles had a decent amount of cap room. Could they be trying to free up more money to extend McCoy now before he hits FA, or maybe DRC? What are your thoughts on these scenarios:

1) If the eagles have that reported 10 mill in cap left, they could extend McCoy and resign DRC with deals that take the cap hit in 2014 when Samuel’s deal is done. Is asante eligible for compensatory compensation with the ealges ( not sure because of his age/ he was originally a pats draft pick) but if so, the eagles might get a nice comp pick just letting him play out his contract. (much nice than a 6th rounder, but the eagles have to pay him for 2 years)

OR, as reported, if asante is willing to rework his deal for a new team. Maybe the eagles could get him to sign a 1 year deal for MORE guaranteed money in 2012 (vs his current deal) , BUT he becomes a FA in 2013. This eats up some of the cap room you have now, but gets him off the books for the impending McCoy and DRC deals. Plus you keep a stud cornerback for another year, which is much more value than whatever a 6th round pick would bring. And there is still that possible comp pick when he signs elsewhere. They have that 10 million in cap, might as well use it. Plus, this is good for asante, he gets more money now AND a new deal in 2013.

My first scenario hinges on asante being a compensatory free agent for the eagles, but if he is, trading him for a 6th round pick just doesnt make sense. My second scenario seems like a better option if he isn’t eligible for compensatory compensation.

The only downside in both cases is they have to eat some of his contract $$$, but I can’t imagine the eagles are trying to just save money for the sake of their bottomline. Asante makes you guys a much better team, even if just for 1 year.

1. PITTEAGLE says:

I think the eagles view Asante as holding them back as per the value they were looking for a 6th or 5th round pick. Here is some of my views why:

1) He does not fit the defense any more. He wont play press coverage and/or he was not good at press coverage and that is how Castillo wants his corners to play.

2) He is expensive.

3) He is stunting DRC’s development/usefulness by making him play in the slot. With DRC on the outside he is comfortable and contributing and fits the scheme not to mention a probowl player on the outside.

4) The entire theme of the eagle’s offseason this year is consistency and continuity which will allow the eagles to let Nnamdi and DRC flourish in a similar scheme that they are used to and were lock down corners in Oakland and Arizona respectively. This lets them know exactly what they will be expected of and they have the entire offseason yet to get their continuity and get better.

5) To me Asante represents the past, what used to be. A principle in life for me is you got to keep moving forward. At the end of the day asante just is not what the eagles want or need right now.

1. Free Plax says:

It didn’t look like Nnamdi fit well either, Asante effected games, you might regret this one.

8. AustonianAggie says:

is Vinny Cerrato still employed somewhere? He was the GM for the Redskins right? I would not be surprised if he was unprepared for the Draft, Redskins hate drafting players, they prefer the aftermarket, so to speak

1. Not currently employed by the NFL, and yes, formerly with the Skins.

2. Redskins Fan says:

VINNIE CERATO hated drafting players… obviously, because he was unprepared when the draft came.

The current management structure seems to be somewhat better about the draft. So please don’t equate today’s Redskins with the Cerrato Redskins… very few players that he drafted or otherwise acquired are with the team today.

1. WeNeedLinemen says:

It’s rumoured that when Shanahan arrived one of the first things he did is reviewed all the scouting material available from previous drafts. Apparenty the scouting looked on the money and the existing staff was retained, the rumour being that Cerrato ignored the recommendations of his own staff.

So, I don’t think Vinnie Cerrato hated drafting, I think he loved it, almost as much as he loved his own opinion. Still, to me, his McCoy story has the air of total BS because it actually listening to one of his coaches rather than drafting whomever he wanted.

Though I can understand why Mitchell would have said no to wanting McCoy through a trade if the call was made. That year the coaching staff had spent the time leading up to free agency and draft telling any journalist who asked that the offensive line was an area of critical need. Cerrato then proceeded to completely ignore it. If Cerrato isn’t simply lying about what happened, and that call got made, it must have almost seemed like a prank call to Mitchell.

“Hey, I know you want linemen, but I am negotiating a deal for a running back…”

9. PITTEAGLE says:

Hey jimmy, I would like to share my views on the asante trade and the eagles cap space correct me if i am wrong but the eagles are 16 mill under the camp. Now if they extend mccoy to lets ay 8 mill now they are 8 mil under the cap. I believe the draft picks this year altogether will be about 5 mill and more if the eagles trade into top 10. So that will leave the eagles 3 mill under the cap. I am sure they would like to have 5 mill to play with during the season but having only 3 mill is that big a deal. Here is where asante comes in if they clear up that 10 mill in cap space via trade then they will be under 13 mill. This way they will be at a comfortable position entering the season and to me singing DRC should be a priority this offseason to a long term deal making him feel comfortable here and start building his life and career knowing he will be here. I think we should wait a year to extend maclin and give him another year to “earn” a bigger pay check. Thoughts?

1. PITTEAGLE says:

Sorry my grammar is bad.
      “I am sure they would like to have 5 mill to play with during the season but having only 3 mill is that big a deal.”
      I am sure they would like to have 5 mill to play with during the season but having only 3 mill isn’t that big a deal.
      Isn’t is what i meant.

2. The Eagles can very easily do whatever they want (extending LeSean, etc) whether they trade Asante or not.

1. PITTEAGLE says:

Great talk

1. Ha, sorry, sick today.

1. Steve D. says:

Is it because you will miss Asante so much, being that your his biggest fan and all?

10. Free Plax says:

Another guy I am happy to see leave the Eagles, say what you will about Assante the guy was a ball hawk.

11. Tracer Bullet says:

If it’s true that the Lions offered a #2 for Samuel last year and Howie didn’t take it, then Howie needs to get kicked square in the balls.

1. ATLeagle says:

I have my heavy shoes on today, and would be glad to help.

2. Steve D. says:

The report that they were offered a #2 last year was incorrect. It was clarified that they were offered a “second day” pick, which is thought to refer to the traditional second day of the draft (rounds 4-7), not the current second day (round 2). They still likely would have gotten more last year, but not a second round pick.

1. ATLeagle says:

dont care. I hate the falcons. Hate Hate Hate. this will make them much better.

Howie could have gotten something more last year, and Juan should have been able to explain that he wasnt going to be a coverage guy like McDermott who actually understood how to use Asante’s skills. The other option is to let this year play out with the new secondary coach that may be able to figure this whole thing out. Giving away this level of talent for such a low pick, when there are plenty of picks and plenty of cap space is just hoarding.

Someone should be getting kicked square in the nuts.

3. ubrab says:

Hindsight is 20/20, we were loading up for a SB run, and trading Asante for anything less than a straight 2nd rounder would have been stupid.

1. Tracer Bullet says:

Jeff McLane ‏ @Jeff_McLane

Retweet
        Favorite
        · Open

Just a reminder as #Eagles iron out compensation for Samuel: Deal with Lions was in placed last Aug that would have netted Birds a 2 & a 3.

KICKED. IN. THE. BALLS.

1. Steve D. says:

Wow. I thought for sure that that was not true, but I could be wrong. I agree regarding the ball kicking.

12. Immynimmy says:

“Morris Claiborne was featured on NFL Network this morning in an interview. I did not see a kid that scored a 4 on the Wonderlic.”

Claiborne actually has a learning disability. That’s why it was really upsetting how a lot of NFL fans and even analysts were chastising the kid.

Also, in regards to us drafting a QB in the mid rounds…MAKES NO SENSE AT ALL. Stupidest thing ever. We did it with Kafka a few years ago and added Edwards, why waste a pick on a guy that you know will never start when you get just get a vet. Really never understood that, especially with the bad crop of QBs in this draft. Plus, I thought Howie said BPA? I can guarantee you that in those mid rounds, guys like Cousins, Foles, and maybe even Wilson will NOT be BPAs.

Finally, with Asante going for a 6th (we are getting fleeced big time here) and with Cox and Kuechly being mocked to teams like Seattle, KC, and Carolina (blech), I’m starting to thing that Gilmore or Kirkpatrick is a possibilty. Like Lawlor keeps saying, if Cox and Kuechly are gone, I REALLY hope we trade out of 15. The mid to late 1st round talent is meh, while the 2nd round talent is very impressive. The only guy I wouldn’t mind after Cox and Kuechly is Merculis. Mark my words: he will be the most productive DE from this class, seriously.