Redskins depth chart: A pre-draft look

Green = Position is set, unlikely to be addressed in the draft.  Yellow = Player’s spot on depth chart in question, could be addressed in the draft.  Red = Highly likely to be addressed in the draft if player is high on the depth chart, unlikely to make the team if low on the depth chart.  Also, if the player is 30 years of age or older as of this publish date, his age is noted in parenthesis.

NOTE: There was some confusion as to the color code system on previous depth chart posts.  If a player is highlighted in green, it does not necessarily mean that I think that player is a stud (see Hall, DeAngelo).  It just means that his spot on the depth chart is very likely safe.  Good?  Good.  OK, let’s get to it:

Offense…

• Robert Griffin III is going to start from Day 1, right?  I think so, but it’s probably not 100%.
  • I kinda like the 1-2 combo of Roy Helu and Evan Royster.  With Tim Hightower likely not coming back, expect the Skins to bring in a vet to fill out the RB rotation.
  • I’m sure Shanny would love to see Leonard Hankerson and/or Josh Morgan legitimately beat out Santana Moss for the starting WR job in 2012, but I’m going to give the nod, for now, to Tana.  If it’s even remotely close, Santana will probably hit the pine.
  • What is it with the NFC East and compiling a ton of TE’s? The Giants have 7 currently on their roster. The Skins have 6.  Included on that list is Niles Paul, who is apparently moving there from WR.  It kinda makes sense, I suppose, but I’m not buying it.  Paul is a good blocker, and has decent bulk at 224 lbs, but he’s only 6’1.  There’s a logjam at WR, so the Skins’ thinking has to be that Paul isn’t going to make the roster as a WR, so they may as well see what he can do at TE.
  • I can’t believe the Skins haven’t done a thing yet at RT.  They simply can’t go into another season with Jammal Brown as the starter.  Not with so much invested in RG3.  No way.  But if the season began today, that’s what we’d be looking at.
  • Kory Lichtensteiger is still recovering from a torn ACL (among other knee problems), but he should be ready by camp.  While the starting OL in general is below average, in my opinion, and the depth is weak, they’ll have to make due for at least 2012 with the current group.

Defense after the jump…

Defense…

• DE looks like a strength for the Skins, particularly if Jarvis Jenkins pans out.  Good starters, decent depth.  I still think Barry Cofield is playing out of position at NT, but he’s serviceable enough there.  If the Skins ever got a legitimate, good NT, and could move Cofield over to DE where he’s a more natural fit, that would be a scary rotation up front.
  • The LB’s are also a major strength for this defense.  Obviously, Brian Orakpo can play, as can Ryan Kerrigan, and London Fletcher is sort of the glue that keeps it all together.  But the one spot that’s a bit of an unknown this season will be Perry Riley at the other ILB spot.  I thought he played a lot better than Rocky McIntosh last season, and he’ll only be an upgrade there.
  • One area of concern in the front 7, however, is the complete lack of depth at ILB.  The Skins signed Bryan Kehl today.  He was a Giant, and then a Ram, and then a Giant, and then a Ram, and he’s only been in the league for 5 years.  That’s not good.  Lorenzo Alexander, meanwhile, is a jack of all trades and a special teams standout, but I wouldn’t want him to have to start any games for me at ILB.  The Skins are in trouble if they lose Fletcher or Riley for any period of time, although in fairness, London Fletcher hasn’t missed a game… ever.  Otherwise, the front 7 is in really good shape.
  • While the front 7 looks great, the back end could be a train wreck.  I have no idea what the Skins are thinking keeping DeAngelo Hall at the money he’s making, and this group of safeties could be scary bad.  Brandon Meriweather has had 2 teams give up on him since August, Reed Doughty can’t cover anyone that runs a sub 4.8, Cedric Griffin has a list of injuries a mile long and ignored the play calls in Minnesota last year, and Tanard Jackson was atrocious last season.  In fact, here’s how bad Tanard Jackson was in 2011 – He only played 49.8% of Tampa’s defensive snaps last season, and according to Pro Football Focus, he led the NFL in missed tackles, with 24.  I really have no idea who’s going to win out in this battle of crap du jour, so this is 100% guess work, but I’m going to go with Meriweather and the kid, DeJon Gomes.
  • As for the other corners not mentioned in the venomous bullet point above, I do like Josh Wilson, and think the signing of Leigh Torrence will be an upgrade over Kevin Barnes an Byron Westbrook.
  • Oops, forgot Madieu Williams.  And so did the Redskins, evidently.  Anyway, I wrote about Williams here.

Special teams…

• Graham Gano was dead last in the NFL with a FG% of 68.6% in 2010.  In 2011, he was 29th at 75.6%.  Wooooo! Progress!  But seriously, if anyone can give me a reason why he’s still in the league, I’m all ears.

1. Thanks again for the post.Thanks Again.

2. stXjLf Im grateful for the post.Much thanks again. Awesome.

3. Adina says:

this is amazing stuff i think this is an extra achievement keep it uphttp://www.listadeemail.org

4. knihkupectvo says:

I am now not certain the place you are getting your information, however great topic. I needs to spend some time studying much more or working out more. Thank you for excellent info I was looking for this information for my mission.

5. Aurora says:

hey it was a good post thanks for posting, please keep postinghttp://www.listadeemail.org

6. F*ckin’ stunning stuff here. I’m incredibly lucky to find your write-up. Thank you a lot and i’m looking forward to contact you. Will you kindly drop me a email?

7. Valuable information. Lucky me I discovered your web site accidentally, and I am surprised why this coincidence didn’t took place in advance! I bookmarked it.

8. I will right away seize your rss feed as I can not find your email subscription hyperlink or newsletter service. Do you have any? Kindly permit me understand in order that I may just subscribe. Thanks.

9. Chastle says:

gano went 31 for 41 attempts including blocks but five were blocked so he actually went went more like 31 for 36 which is 86% compared to the 75.6 percent of field goals made if you inclue the blocks and if Gano had made all the kicks that were blocked so it was 36 out of 41 attempts it would jump up to 87.8%

10. Kyle says:

When considering Graham Gano’s FG% last year take into consideration the inordinate number of blocked kicks allowed by the Redskins special teams’ offensive line. That skewed his % a little bit.

11. Roy says:

“I can’t believe the Skins haven’t done a thing yet at RT.”

That’s what happens when the NFL in its great omniscient wisdom hits you with a $30 million cap penalty on the day before free agency starts. For reasons they can’t quite explain.

12. Pitteagle says:

I didn’t know rg3 is on the redskins roster pre draft. I wonder who they will pick at no. 2 now.

1. RedskinsFan says:

Technically, he should have left the spot either blank or red, since the spot will be addresses in the draft. Post draft, the spot is green for at least three years, though, and that is only if Griffin is a bust. Obviously, we Skins fans hope that spot is green for at least twelve or so years.

13. Chastle says:

also in in my opinion Banks should be in red he was not that good and i don’t believe he deserves a spot barley playing any snaps a game and hasn’t gotten that much out of the spots this year especially when you have a guy like Niles Paul who can do more than return

14. Chastle says:

Gano might of had a bad percent this year but remember i think 5 of his misses were due to blocked kicks and he wouldn’t be as bad if they were not included im not sure but i think he would be slightly below middle of the pack with kickers, im not saying i like gano but stats do not say everything

15. deg0ey says:

Why is Gaffney highlighted blue?

1. Skins are openly trying to trade him.

1. deg0ey says:

Ah I figured it might be something like that. I wonder whether they’ll have any takers…

16. Will says:

You missed Madieu Williams at safety, I would say more solid than Doughty at this point.

1. Agree, I’d put him over Doughty. I blame the Redskins for my error, by the way. They forgot they signed him too…

1. Will says:

Good old skins, can’t even keep up with their own offseason turnover

2. WeNeedLinemen says:

I saw that the other day. I wondered whether it might have more significance. I know Tanard Jackson has signed a contract, I’ve seen a picture of him actually doing it, but maybe Williams hasn’t. He visited Washtington and then went to Atlanta for another visit before making a decision..

So, whilst the deal has been announced, perhaps it hasn’t actually been physically signed yet, so he isn’t officially a Redskin. It might be a hangover from the Brandon Stokely thing from last year.