The Eagles get royally screwed by the NFL schedule makers

The Eagles will face FOUR teams this season that are coming off their BYE week:

1. The Steelers have their BYE on Week 4.  They face the Eagles Week 5.
  2. The Lions have their BYE on Week 5.  They face the Eagles Week 6.
  3. The Falcons have their BYE on Week 7.  They face the Eagles Week 8.
  4. The Redskins have their BYE on Week 10.  They face the Eagles Week 11.

And if all of that wasn’t bad enough, the Giants have a Thursday night game Week 3, and then face the Eagles Week 4, which will give the Giants 3 extra days of rest/preparation.

Then, later in the season, the Eagles face the Cowboys the week after Thanksgiving.  As we all know, the Cowboys play on Thanksgiving every year, which gives them 3 extra days of rest for their next opponent.  But guess what?  The Eagles happen to play on MONDAY during Thanksgiving week, which gives the Cowboys FOUR extra days of rest/prep.

Now, on the Falcons game, I should note that the Eagles will also be coming of their BYE, which minimizes the disadvantage.  That is until, of course, you factor in that the Eagles lose the advantage of facing a team coming off one week of rest… you know… like the rest of the league gets to do.

On a lesser note, the Eagles have two Monday games, which means that they’ll have one less day of rest/preparation for their next opponent, which happens to be the Cowboys both times.  That brings the tally to a staggering 7 games (almost half of their schedule) in which the Eagles will have at least 1 less day of rest/preparation than their opponent.

That’s just a complete and total failure by the NFL.

The full NFC East schedules after the jump…

Follow Blogging the bEast on Twitter.

1. That is one of those site posts that must be bookmarked and discovered when using the rest which is what i am planning to try and do at the least on my hub pages wall for sure. Thanks once more pal for earning my day.

2. I seriously love your website.. Pleasant colors & theme. Did you make this amazing site yourself? Please reply back as I’m attempting to create my very own blog and would like to know where you got this from or exactly what the theme is called. Kudos!

3. Buy Links says:

can you please send me the spreadsheet? Thank you!

4. Links says:

You’ve made my day! Thx again

5. I like the valuable info you provide in your articles. I’ll bookmark your blog and check again here frequently. I am quite sure I will learn many new stuff right here! Good luck for the next!

6. iknc0W Major thanks for the blog article.Much thanks again. Fantastic.

7. I actually quite agree with you, and it seems we share a wee bit of similar thoughts on the matter.

8. Thanks for your hard work! <3

9. Wow! Thank you! I constantly wanted to write in my web-site a thing like that. Can I get component of the post to my blog?

10. Aw, this was a really great post. In theory I’d like to write like this also – taking time and real effort to make a good article… but what can I say… I procrastinate alot and never seem to get something done.

11. Magdalena says:

greetings, really good article, and a fairly good understand! just one for my book marks.

12. Hello there and thanks to google that gave me this probability to uncover your world-wide-web site. This really is one particular of individuals content that must be bookmarked and discovered with other people which is what i’m planning to accomplish at least on my facebook itself wall of course. Many thanks.

13. hello!,I love your writing so so much! share we be in contact extra about your post on AOL? I need an expert in this area to resolve my problem. Maybe that is you! Looking ahead to see you.

14. The info on this site is valuable.

15. You’re actually a good webmaster. The website loading pace is amazing. It kind of feels that you’re doing any distinctive trick. Also, The contents are masterwork. you’ve performed a fantastic activity on this topic!

16. Great beat ! I wish to apprentice while you amend your site, how can i subscribe for a blog site? The account helped me a acceptable deal. I had been tiny bit acquainted of this your broadcast offered bright clear idea

17. A person essentially help to make seriously articles I would state. This is the very first time I frequented your website page and thus far? I surprised with the research you made to create this particular publish incredible. Excellent job!

18. I loved up to you will receive carried out proper here. The cartoon is tasteful, your authored subject matter stylish. however, you command get got an nervousness over that you wish be turning in the following. ill unquestionably come more previously again since exactly the similar just about a lot incessantly inside of case you shield this increase.

19. Located your post really exciting certainly. I really loved reading it and also you make rather some great points. I am going to bookmark this web page for that upcoming! Relly wonderful post.

20. Doing Great!…

After I originally commented I clicked the -Notify me when new comments are added- checkbox and now every time a remark is added I get 4 emails with the same comment. Is there any means you can take away me from that service? Thanks!…

21. I’ve been exploring for a little for any high-quality articles or blog posts in this sort of house . Exploring in Yahoo I at last stumbled upon this website. Studying this information So i am glad to exhibit that I have a very just right uncanny feeling I found out just what I needed. I most certainly will make certain to don?t forget this website and give it a glance regularly.

22. Discovered your write-up really intriguing in fact. I truly really enjoyed reading through it and you also make quite some fantastic factors. I am going to bookmark this internet site for your future! Relly terrific short article.

23. golf says:

Awesome issues here. I am very happy to peer your post. Thank you so much and I am taking a look ahead to touch you. Will you kindly drop me a mail?

24. You really make it appear really easy with your presentation but I find this topic to be actually something which I feel I would by no means understand. It sort of feels too complex and extremely broad for me. I’m having a look ahead for your next post, I will attempt to get the hang of it!

25. Arlene says:

this is amazing stuff i think this is an extra achievement keep it uphttp://www.cinepredador.org

26. seduction says:

Its such as you read my mind! You seem to grasp a lot about this, such as you wrote the e book in it or something. I believe that you just can do with a few p.c. to pressure the message house a bit, but instead of that, that is magnificent blog. A fantastic read. I will certainly be back.

27. Bedete says:

thanks for the posthttp://www.pagode2011.com

28. 5gohome says:

I don’t give a rats ars. Who is complaining about this? is this the eagles front office trying to make another excuse for NEVER winning a superbowl in the history of this BS team? F’ them I am sick and tired after 52 years of the bullsht. 52 years of these morons telling us finishing the year with a win(instead of a higher draft pick) is the best thing you can do. well, guess what I have 52 years of proof that that is BS.

I want Andys had. put a hoody on him and march him down around miami would you. Yea, F’ you too. I don’t give a rats ars what you think of me. I have more football knowledge in my little pinky then this whole city of losers combined.

And that boso’ the clown looking owner you have there. that liberal faag needs to get back to football and not worrying about his team getting some trophy from zimbobway. what the hell do i care if a broke ars country that can’t even feed itself of make it’s own shoes thinks our football team is great. Hell, I’ll bet you that whole office over there was set up and run by the Beagles. so they could give themselfs a trophy.

And don’t get me started about Juan. but let me just say HE BLOWS. and no im not even coming close to describing how bad i think he really is. Jesus what team in the history of sports has ever hired a complete idiot like that before?

In conclusion i hope they all choke on the lie that is EAGLES ‘PRO’ football. Die mother F’s Die.

29. Mike says:

The ONE big whine that I have about the Cowboys schedule is that they have an early bye. AGAIN. A bye week after only 4 weeks seems so terribly pointless, and unhelpful over all (apart from having an extra week to prepare from their opponents, the effect of extra rest on their bodies is likely to be much less than a later bye) that they might as well not have one.

I don’t get why the NFL doesn’t just condense it. Have 8 teams per week have a bye from weeks 7-10. Or better yet, have 16 teams have a bye on weeks 8-9.

30. A. Reid says:

The NFL hates Andy Reid and wants him FIRED!

31. [...] Yesterday, I tore into the NFL for scheduling the Eagles against 4 teams coming off their BYE week.  In my opinion, the BYE week can be a major advantage.  Your team gets much needed rest, it’s a time for ailing players to get healthy, and your coaching staff gets 7 extra days of film study and whatnot to prepare for the next team.  As an Eagles fan, I think of the week after the BYE as money in the bank.  After all, in Andy Reid’s tenure the Eagles are 13-0 in the week following a BYE.  However, since the BYE was introduced, according to Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, 52.6% of the teams have followed up the BYE week with a with a win. They do far less with the extra week than the Eagles seem to do. [...]

32. Jay Walker (GIB) says:

Breakdown of NFC East scheduling and Disparity on days to prepare.

1. Ha, that’s so funny that you did that. I was going to do the whole league, but stopped. I actually have different numbers for the Eagles. I came up with -26.

1. Jay Walker (GIB) says:

-26? I just checked real quick again and still see -31.

1. I had 2 games of extra rest totaling 4 days for the Eagles, and 7 games of extra rest for their opponents totaling 30 days.

1. Jay Walker (GIB) says:

I only see 1 day of extra rest for the eagles. Game 2 with Ravens coming off of Monday night. what other one are you looking at

1. After the Thurs Bengal game.

33. Matth313 says:

Giants had a similar problem last year in that brutal 4 game losing streak, Packers coming off thrursday night, Saints with a bye in NO, along with at San Fran and a loss to you guys

34. g-man says:

Stop crying eagle fans you win the super bowl every offseason hahaha giants Fa life babygirls

1. D3Keith says:

What? The Redskins win every offseason. We take one little offseason trophy and now we’re the kings?

35. ATLeagle says:

One nice thing for the Eagles is the Saints in week 9. This is when some suspensions end, so there first half coach will hand over the reins to the second half coach. This could be a disadvantage as the incoming guy has had time to think of things, but the players may be a bit confused as to who is in charge.

That in-depth analysis you did of the other BEast schedules really fleshed out the idea that this is a blog about the NFC East, and not the Eagles.

1. Ha, fair point. Love that you keep me in check. However, 4 games after the bye pretty much trumps everything else though, in my opinion. All other complaints are minor squabbles comparatively speaking, again, in my opinion. And I’m not even done complaining about this. There will be at least one more article on this topic.

It is a brutal thing for the Eagles, but everyone has their own scheduling nightmares… Giants get divisional opponents, Green Bay, and the Saints post-bye, and nothing else. I have not really looked at the Cowboys or Redskins schedules in-depth, but I am sure they have some serious pitfalls in them as well.

1. By winning percentage, the Giants have the hardest schedule in the league, but we already knew that long before yesterday.

I was referring to the grouping of it all… not pleasant (plus Saints will be recovered from any early season issues they are going to face).

2. blains2000 says:

Except that historically teams are about .500 after their bye week

1. It’s about 53% league-wide, which doesn’t sound like a lot, but it is. In baseball, if a team wins their division by 5 games, that’s a difference of .031 (roughly the same difference between 53% an 50%), and yet, if you win a division in baseball by 5 games, you’ve done so quite comfortably.

The Eagles get that disadvantage 4 times. Not to mention, the Eagles are 13-0 under Andy Reid after bye’s, and they essentially don’t get one this year.

Bye’s are huge. Your team gets much needed rest, it’s a time for ailing players to get healthy, and your coaching staff gets 7 extra days of film study and whatnot to prepare for the next team. It’s not really that difficult to grasp.

1. blains2000 says:

Well according to this article (and others) it doesn’t mean a whole lot

“If past performance is any indication, teams coming off a bye are far from sure things the week after. Since 1990, when the bye was first introduced, 52.6% of teams have followed up the bye with a victory.

Only a handful of teams – Philadelphia (18-4), Minnesota (17-5), Denver and Dallas (16-6), for instance – have dominated after the bye. The majority of teams are a couple games from .500, including the Green Bay Packers, who are 13-9.”

So remove the iggles record and minny and denver and the boys and I think you have something south of .500 for the rest of the league.

You might be better to look at the individual teams’ records after their byes historically and recently. Who knows, you may *gasp* have an advantage.

1. OK, I’ll re-think it.

37. HogHunter says:

Redskins start the season with two dome games, have 3 stretches of back to back road games, and 5 of the last 7 games are division.

1. The first game of their season is against the Saints. If there’s a time you want to play that team, with all the nonsense that’s going on in that organization, it’s Week 1. No question. And Week 2 is the Rams. You’re complaining about having to play a team that over the last 5 years, has a winning % of (.188)?

1. Roy says:

True about the Saints-Skins game. I guess we can call it the Bad Boys Bowl.

2. HogHunter says:

Sorry, just thought we were bitching about every little thing we didn’t like about our teams schedules.

38. Roy says:

Skins schedule after the bye is brutal. Thanks, NFL.

1. WeNeedLinemen says:

On the positive side, playing the Eagles and Cowboys late in the season leaves more time for Vick and Romo to get beaten up. Both tend to take a lot of punishment, so maybe playing them late will increase the chances of facing back-ups in our division games. Coversely, our rookie QB will have had more time to settle into the pro-game.

Of course, by that time, our rookie saviour might be on IR after getting splattered by all the pass rushers sprinting over the top of our o-line but I am in a strangely optimistic mood today.

39. WeNeedLinemen says:

Console yourself with the fact that Eagles have got a strong roster. Moreover, as usual, you have about a million draft picks, so you should be able to do something about the team’s biggest problem, the linebacking corps.

You’ve got one of the best running backs in the league. Perhaps the best after Peterson’s injury and Johnson got paid. You’ve got a good o-line, some decent receivers and Andy Reid has managed to turn Mike Vick into an NFL quarterback.

You’ve got great pass rushers on your defensive line, and a talented secondary. Your defensive co-ordinator is a good coach who unsurprisingly struggled when asked to switch from the o-line to defensive co-ordinator in a year with a drastically abbreviated off-season. This year will be his second year. He will have had a full off-season and your defense was already starting to look pretty sound by the end of last season.

This schedule should also put a useful chip on everyone’s shoulder and prevent the sort over-confidence that looked like an issue at the begining of last season.

40. WiskyEagle says:

I think the schedule is ok, no issues. Though one thing I would like to see the NFL do is get rid of the Cowboys/Lions on Thanksgiving, been there done that. Two things can be done, the 3 winners from the previous yr host, but I like the Final 4 from the previous yr playing each other. Then the 3rd game is a rivalry game(Pack-Bears, Eagles-Giants, Pitt-Balt, Jets-Pats, Chargers-Raiders…this yr you would have Super Bowl winning team host primetime game so it would be Ravens at Giants, 49ers at New England at 1p, lets say KC Chiefs at San Diego…..

41. PITTEAGLE says:

I wish u would have gotten this fired up about the Demeco Ryans trade.

42. Joe says:

An easy way to fix schedules would be to have all division games, all “place” games, all intra/inter conference games, etc. happen on similar weeks and have bye weekss be determined by division.

1. D3Keith says:

Yup.

Suggested something similar above, and in various places around the interwebs before. Good points about the division byes.

I think the TV networks want a handful of division games each week so they always have a Pittsburgh-Baltimore or Green Bay-Chicago or Dallas-New York to hype.

43. yehti says:

wahhhh

44. Eaglesfanatlarge says:

I liked the prison-style title better.

Oh yeah, anyone have a link to the “F-you, we’re winning anyway!” post from BGN? I need to read that one again to get psyched after seeing this schedule.

1. Eaglesfanatlarge says:

Thanks!

1. ATLeagle says:

this is the first thing I tought of also. eff-you all, we are winning anyway!

45. deg0ey says:

Whilst the Eagles schedule is ridiculous for the reasons that you’ve mentioned, the Giants have got a brutal end to the season; they don’t really have any ‘easy’ games after week 5. If they make the playoffs this year, I don’t think anybody will be able to accuse them of lucking it.

Packers, Saints (on a short week), Falcons and Ravens in the space of 5 weeks? Ouch. If you make the semi-reasonable assumption that they lose 3 of their divisional games, a 10-win season will take some doing.

1. Steve says:

Whatever, they’ll sneak into the postseason and then turn into the 2001 Patriots.

2. CulDaddy says:

so would u like to forfeit a Super Bowl win for an easier schedule?

1. deg0ey says:

No, not at all; was just making an observation

46. Ryan says:

You’ll notice Cowboys MNF is followed with a BYE, seriously?

1. Bdgg says:

That almost offsets Dallas playing 1 home game over a 6 week stretch, and playing 6 of their first 9 games on the road.

1. Mike says:

6 of their first 9 games on the road.

I’m a Cowboys fan, and look for most excuses with which to argue that they got screwed by the league. But never, ever, will i use the argument about them playing a sizable portion of their schedule on the road as a reason they got shafted by the league.

Because those 6/9 games have a huge flip-side. 5 of their last 7 games are at home.

47. Ryan says:

Also, Eagles play Cowboys after Monday night games in both cases.

48. Vince Papile says:

Eagles also face Giants in Week 4 after Giants play the previous Thursday night in Week 3

49. Mr.Electric10 says:

Giants get extra rest before Eagles also. Play Thursday night vs Panthers then Eagles sunday night.

1. Good catch. Adding.

50. Gary says:

I guess it would just make too much sense for each team to face ONE team per year that’s coming off their bye? It’s like the NFL doesn’t even look at that.

1. D3Keith says:

Man they JUST figured out not to send teams cross-country for Thursday night games.

I think the schedule, as formulaic as it is, and that part is great, is probably just a mess of trying to honor requests like Jacksonville not wanting to play at home the same week as the Florida-Georgia game, and San Fran/Oakland and the New York teams trying to stagger home-and-away games, going to Toronto and London, and trying to avoid the college games and Kenny Chesney concerts and local events scheduled for the stadiums to make money, and accommodate the almighty TV networks’ requests … that no matter what they do it’ll be a fustercluck.

You’d think it would be easy to take the formula we have now, say Weeks 1-2-3 and 15-16-17 are division games, every team is home one week, away the next week, make sure every stadium makes NFL the priority, plug it into a schedule and BAM … all you need to do is adjust kickoff times.

1. ATLeagle says:

it sure is complicated, but some smart people have invented these things called computers. The NFL has quite a bit of money, I am sure they can afford the $500 needed to purchase one. I can write a perl script in about an hour that could settle the majority of the issues. If you really wanted to get fancy, there are already neat little dependency managers that update every little thing on Linux boxes that can be trained to handle many more dependencies and requests than NFL teams can possibly come up with. I am not lieing , that for very little money and time, it would be possible to crank out many yearly schedules for the entire NFL , PER SECOND!!!!! , that would never have these issues.

1. D3Keith says:

Oh I don’t doubt that it can be done. I’m just saying that the amount of requests that go in — mostly TV requests, I’d guess — leave wide open the potential for human error.

So assuming this Rich Eisen tweet is accurate:
          RT @richeisen How is NFL schedule born? Computer creates 400K skeds. Weeded to 14K. Humans pick best 150. Eventually choose 1

The locations, and Mondays and Thursdays are determined, and then the start times and tweaks are made for TV.

I forget which league, but I once saw a TV clip that said the same people don’t even do it every year, that it’s an open bidding process and they pick the winner. Doesn’t sound like what Rich said so maybe that’s old or MLB/NBA/NHL.

51. RogerPodacter says:

both the cowboys and redskins have a lot of road games to open the season

52. Uda says:

Red means away correct?

But I didnt notice the Thanksgiving thing. That is awful.