Eagles depth chart: A pre-draft look

Green = Position is set, unlikely to be addressed in the draft.  Yellow = Player’s spot on depth chart in question, could be addressed in the draft.  Red = Highly likely to be addressed in the draft if player is high on the depth chart, unlikely to make the team if low on the depth chart.  Also, if the player is 30 years of age or older as of this publish date, his age is noted in parenthesis.

Offensive notes:

• The starting lineup on offense is pretty much completely set.
  • According to Les Bowen’s notes from a sit down that he scored with Andy Reid, “Reid sees Mike Kafka as his No. 2 QB in 2012, with Trent Edwards maybe No. 3, depending on how he does and what else develops, via the draft, for instance.”  The Eagles have 9 draft picks, so it would make some sense to draft a developmental QB.  If they were to take a QB in the mid-late rounds, it would be an endorsement of Kafka as the 2.  However, if the Eagles were to take a QB in say, the 2nd round, Kafka should be worried.
  • It’s a decent bet the Eagles will take a RB at some point during the draft, unless they sign a vet between now and then.  RB’s have come off the shelf slowly in free agency this year, so that possibility exists in the next couple weeks.  Do the Eagles see Dion Lewis as a legitimate #2?  As a compliment to LeSean McCoy, I think they might.  But if LeSean McCoy goes down for a few weeks, is Lewis ready to come in and be an every down back that can run, catch, and most importantly, block?  That’s the real question.
  • Former Na Brown award winner Riley Cooper could be in trouble.  This WR draft class is extremely deep and talented, and I’m not just talking about first round talent.  If the Eagles are true to their board, there’s a good chance that at some point the best player available will happen to be a WR.
  • Tight end is unlikely to be addressed, in my opinion.  It’s a weak draft class, and the Eagles don’t heavily utilize 2 TE sets, as Clay Harbor only saw 369 snaps last season.  Harbor has ability.
  • King Dunlap will be the swing tackle, and he has made himself into a good one in that role.  D.J. Jones will be fighting for a roster spot, as will guys like Mike Gibson, Steve Vallos, and Julian Vandervelde.  I’d be shocked if the Eagles didn’t try to draft some depth for the OL, even with some decent reserves in place.
  • I placed Jason Peters off to the side.  The NFL is considering the option of placing a player on IR for 8 weeks, as opposed to having the IR automatically ending a player’s entire season.  If the league implements that rule, Jason Peters could be the first player in the league to ever get that designation.  If the league does not implement that rule, expect him to land on the PUP list.

Defense after the jump…

Defensive notes:

• I was initially mildly surprised that the Eagles didn’t cut Darryl Tapp.  He’s set to make $2.575 million in 2012, but since it’s not like the Eagles have their backs up against the cap, they may as well just hang onto him for now.  Tapp played well in the opportunities he got in 2011, but the Eagles have a wealth of depth at the DE position.  If they draft another one this year, the Eagles could try to trade Tapp for something like a late pick in 2013.
  • Phillip Hunt is the only 3rd stringer to be highlighted in green.  He’s young, the team likes him, and he too played well in his opportunities last year.  He’s looking like a lock to make the 2012 roster, even though he’s sort of buried on the depth chart.
  • One spot that would make a lot of sense in the first round is UT position, or the “under tackle” position in the Eagles’ Wide 9.  The two DT positions in the Eagles defense, the UT and the NT, are different.  The Eagles like to line up the NT in the gap between the C and the LG.  It’s his job to shoot that gap and command a double team.  The Eagles go three deep at NT: Mike Patterson, Antonio Dixon, and Derek Landri.  The UT, meanwhile, typically lines up on the outside shoulder of the RG.  The idea is for the UT to get one-on-one matchups with the RG, while also forcing one-on-one matchups with the LDE on the RT.  You want your UT to have some good pass rushing ability.  That’s the position that Cullen Jenkins plays.  Behind Jenkins, the Eagles are thin at the UT spot, and they could use a long term answer there to develop before it’s too late and they have to send the 31 year old Jenkins to the glue factory.  Mississippi State DT Fletcher Cox would be perfect in that role.  H/t to Tommy Lawlor of IgglesBlitz for learnin’ me up on the difference between the two positions at the Senior Bowl.
  • Note that Derek Landri and Cedric Thornton are listed under both DT positions.  They could both probably play either spot, but I think that they’re both better suited to play NT.  If the Eagles draft a DT, they’ll probably have to cut either Landri or Thornton, and I don’t think it’s a no-brainer that Thornton would be the odd man out.  Landri was fantastic last year, but if the training camp battle is close, Thornton is 5 years younger, and let’s not forget… Landri didn’t make the initial 53-man roster in 2011 and the team was very slow to re-sign him this offseason.
  • The Eagles’ linebacker situation was a mess, obviously.  DeMeco Ryans should solidify the middle, but work still needs to be done.  Jamar Chaney was great at the end of the 2010 season, but he was awful in 2011.  If the season started today, he’d be the SAM.  Luke Kuechly could still be in play here.  While the best fit for Kuechly would be as a 4-3 MLB, he’d also fit in nicely as a 4-3 SAM for a few years, before sliding over to MLB to take over for Ryans whenever he begins to slow down.  Brian Rolle, meanwhile, was easily the Eagles’ best LB last season, but he’s certainly not above being challenged for the starting WILL spot.
  • The last order of serious business for the Eagles this offseason is trading my new best friend, Asante Samuel.  I think the Eagles would do the dance of joy for a 3, but it’s probably more likely that they’ll get a pick in 2013 for him.
  • Nnamdi Asomugha turns 31 in July, and while I believe he still has plenty left in the tank, I can’t help but recall the 2003 draft, when the Eagles spent first and second round picks on Lito Sheppard and Sheldon Brown when they already had Troy Vincent and Bobby Taylor in place.  It’s also noteworthy that Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie will be a free agent in 2013.  Not to mention, take a gander at the immediate depth behind Asomugha and DRC.  Not great.  Dre Kirkpatrick’s game is similar in many ways to Asomugha’s.  He excels in press coverage, which is something the Eagles want to do more of.  If the Eagles like him, it wouldn’t surprise me in the slightest to see him come off the board at 15.
  • At safety, Nate Allen is 24 and was recovering from a serious knee injury in 2011, and played well down the stretch.  Jaiquawn Jarrett is 22.  Kurt Coleman is 23, and while he’s not an athletic marvel by any stretch of the imagination, he’s not going to kill you.  None of those 3 players has ever had a complete February-to-September offseason in the NFL.  Jarrett is the wildcard here.  He had a less-than-ideal rookie season for a 2nd round pick.  To be determined what the Eagles think of him.  One name that has been linked to the Eagles lately is Mark Barron.  I like Mark Barron, but let’s be realistic here.  He’s not anywhere near the kind of safety prospect that other guys in recent years have been, like Eric Berry, Earl Thomas, Sean Taylor (RIP), LaRon Landry, Ed Reed, Troy Polamalu, etc.  If you’re drafting a safety at 15, you expect him to be a star, not just “the most complete safety” in a terrible safety draft class.
  • Last offseason, the Eagles cut Joselio Hanson and I threw a hissy fit.  Hanson had a great 2010 season, and I didn’t understand why the Eagles were dumping salary at the slot CB position, even with 3 uber-talented CB’s already in place.  They wound up re-signing him, and he wasn’t nearly as good as he was in 2010.  Hanson still probably sees the back of Wes Welker’s jersey in his nightmares.  Plus, he’s 30.  Expect the Eagles to find either a long-term or immediate replacement here.

Special Teams notes:

Henery isn’t going anywhere, and Jon Dorenbos got MVP consideration in 2010. Obviously, he’s safe.  Chas Henry had a bad rookie season as a punter, and threw one of the weakest passes I’ve ever seen.

1. […] pre-draft depth chart out this weekend.  Eagles and Cowboys pre-draft depth charts can be found here and […]

2. I have to admit this review appeared to be quite interesting. I happened on an individual getting a search engine and additionally was first quite gracious for use on your position because of this posting.

3. Adelaide says:

i’m trying to understand more about this subject, can you explain it clearer?http://www.marcabr.net

4. I’m unclear as to why but this blog is running extremely slow to me. Is anybody else having this kind of problem or maybe could it be a issue on my pc? I will check it later and see that the problem still is present.

5. Decent information and facts. I’m happy I ran across your site by chance. I’ve saved it for an alternative occasion!

6. 在你博客很多都是没见过的东西啊!收藏了

7. […] There was some confusion as to the color code system on the Eagles depth chart I did earlier this week.  If a player is highlighted in green (see Nate Livings), it does not mean that I think that […]

8. Ryan says:

NOOOOOO! Did M0rton find this site too!!!

9. ian says:

edit – never mind it’s awaiting moderation… probably because it has 2 links in it to the videos…

1. I don’t see it in the “pending” folder. You may have used a word that would have marked it as spam, which would have triggered it to be zapped immediately without even hitting the moderation queue.

Just popped in film of Eagles-Redskins (picked the Skins because they ran the ball quite a bit early in the season last year. Patterson was doubled plenty. In fact, on one play, he faced a single blocker, got about 5 yards of penetration into the backfield, but it was a run to the outside. The back had a wide open lane around the edge and Patt chased him down from behind for a 4 yard gain (which could have been a lot more). Stellar play.

Name any player in the league. Ray Lewis. Patrick Willis. Whoever. I’ll find you a clip of that player being losing a matchup against a blocker. There isn’t a player in the history of the game that wins them all.

I’m not trying to make any kind of argument that Patterson is some kind of special player. But he absolutely does a lot of the little things that can easily go unnoticed.

1. Here it is. That’s a first down if Patt doesn’t make that play. Instead they threw an incomplete play on 3rd down and punted. Just one quick example. Plenty more like it.

1. ian says:

i don’t think i said anything bad on that post. it just had 2 links in it. 1 for a video on nfl.com and a youtube link.

that was nice penetration on that play. you can hear the announcers saying that the redskins starting center moved to left guard. patterson beat the backup center erik cook, a 7th round pick from 2010 that i never even heard of before. generally patterson plays well against clearly weaker players he tends to struggle against good guards. i know plenty of players feast on weak players, but he can’t have so many games against tough opponents where he does next to nothing. come playoff time, patterson likely won’t be facing erick cook, he will face carl nicks, logan mankins, chris snee, and other premier players.

maybe this just happens to be the one example of what i said above, but you have 30 clips of patterson swallowing up double teams and dominating top nfl lineman. make a mike patterson is underrated, very good or under appreciated post, and post everything that makes mike patterson a valuable starter. post stats, videos, quotes, and anything else you want to make your case. i really would like to be proven wrong and i am always open to being convinced that my opinion is wrong, but i don’t think that is the case here.

10. ian says:

jimmy – i noticed you deleted my comment with the other mike patterson videos. kinda lame to do that bro!

tracer – i was trying to address that comment to tristan, not sock puppet him lol that was a comment fail on my part

1. deg0ey says:

Dude, there’s a reply button; that’s probably the easiest way to address somebody’s comment without everyone getting confused.

1. ian says:

my bad. got it now

11. Steve says:

Ian is actually a bored Evan Mathis in the offseason trolling Jimmy to make up for Asante showing him some love.

12. Tracer Bullet says:

Dear Ian/Tristan,

It is important to vary your writing style and/or remember to change the name on your comments when sockpuppeting.

Smooches,

Tracer

1. Lol, “sock puppeting.” Is that an actual internet term, or did you just make that up?

1. Tracer Bullet says:

It’s real as far as I know. I can’t remember where I first saw it, but I can’t take credit for it.

13. gherbox says:

I want to hear more of what ian has to say. Man, that guy is a character.

14. tristan says:

i am not trolling, i’m just giving my opinion and i even backed up my mike patterson points with video evidence. i like this site, because it’s different, and entertaining. i don’t always agree with what is said, and in this case there were a number of things i didn’t agree with. ray didinger is a paid football expert, and i don’t always agree with his outlook on the eagles. what i said, is no different than you disagreeing about riley cooper. btw i find it hilarious to mention the ypc stat for a player with 16 receptions. bit of a stretch you think?

1. RogerPodacter says:

did you put ‘tristan’ as your name for this post, ian, instead of starting off your post by addressing him?
      i’m willing to give you the benefit of the doubt that you are just an idiot than a complete jerk trying to pretend you are tristan….

1. ian says:

i did. i explained that in a different post. it was my mistake, i should have just used the reply feature.

15. Tristan says:

Dear Mister Ian,

I believe that you do not understand why people come to this site as well as other smaller, more fan-based blogs (I’m looking at you BGN). It is because we enjoy talking with people who are intelligent, knowledgeable, and are willing to spend hours and hours watching tape of individual players and call it a fun way to spend free time. Thus, when one comes here, please expect a certain level of not just sophistication, but also a need for knowledge or evidence based discussion. At BGN, there is a specific thread to get rid of all the unnecessary trolling (which, I believe, is on its 45th iteration). Here, however, since it is one person doing all the work and taking the time to give in-depth, usually reasonable analysis, I find it inexcusable to both ignore and continue to spout undefended opinions. For some places where those are accepted (and, indeed, commonplace) I would try http://espn.com and cbssports.com.

Dear Jimmy,

And, since I’m continuing, thanks byedawk for doing all this; you really do have some pretty awesome stuff. My main complaint is that I would call Riley Cooper a good #4 receiver; he averaged 19.7 yards per catch, and the real defining play of the past couple seasons for him was when he ran back under the ball Kolb threw saving an interception. He’s shown he can be a quality back-up wide receiver even though he isn’t what the Eagles want right now in a WR (aka, a big, tall, strong receiver). I would also agree with the previous poster that Landri should be green as a third NT. Even if Thornton does win a back-up spot at UT, and we draft another back-up high, with the issues concerning Patterson, I don’t see how Landri doesn’t keep that spot.

T

1. RogerPodacter says:

thank you. glad someone said it.

16. ian says:

i guess you missed the rest of that rams game, where the same thing happened over and over, and over again. we made cadillac williams look like adrian peterson that game. at patterson gets doubled, but he is not a player that commands a double team.you don’t have to double him like you do haloti ngata. that is a real NT. patterson can be blocked by 1 guy, it happens all the time.

1. RogerPodacter says:

one more thing – i think you are confusing the role of a NT in a 3-4 D (haloti ngata) with that of a NT in our 4-3 D (patt).

1. ian says:

haloti ngata is just a great football player. he would work well in any defensive scheme including the eagles. he is a million times better than mike patterson, and obviously would be a complete game changer to our defense. ngata not only is a force against the run, but he moves tremendously well and is a pretty dam good pass rusher. (especially considering his size) ngata commands a double team on almost every play, and gives teammates 1-on-1 match ups. he allows terrell suggs to see a lot more 1-on-1 on the outside. he keeps blockers off of ray lewis, and that makes lewis look good at age 36. the scary thing is he even sometimes is capable of defeating a double team. i wish the eagles decided to trade up for a defensive lineman in 2006, because ngata is exactly what the eagles need. if he was on this current roster, the eagles would have a top 5 defense for sure.

17. ian says:

those stats are false. i watch the games, and every week i saw nate allen make mistakes. he takes poor angles, he bites on double moves, he misses tackles, and he often looks indecisive. in 2011 he was a bad safety. i agree the eagles plan on starting him again, but his job should not be secure at all.

you don’t need to be a doctor to know peters will not play in 2012. it’s common sense.

mike patterson gets singled up in the run all the time, and that’s why guards and centers are able to just run straight to our mlb and flatten him. classic example is the first play of the season> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjdLPj_bCq8

i thought rolle was excellent last year outside of a few rookie like mistakes. he was better than jamar chaney was in 2010. i thought chaney showed signs of being bad near the end of 2010, and he was horrific in the playoff loss to the packers. i really don’t even want chaney starting at all, but the eagles will probably end up doing that because they overvalue their young “talented” linebackers too often.

1. “Hey, I found one run where Patterson wasn’t double teamed! Therefore, he’s NEVER double-teamed. In your face, Jimmy! Also, your stats are wrong, just because, you know, I said so. And Peters definitely won’t play, as in 0% chance, just because again, I said so.”

Well, I know when I’m up against bulletpoint arguments, so I’ll concede.

18. ian says:

i’m not sure what you see in clay harbor, but he stinks. andy reid loves the 2 TE set, but harbor is not worthy of playing time so they sparingly used it last year. if celek where to get hurt we’d really see how much of a nobody harbor is. it’s too bad that the eagles suck at the draft, because they could have jimmy graham instead. andy reid spoke about how much he liked graham prior to the draft, but come draft time he reaches for a major bust daniel teo’neisham in the 3rd round. 9 picks later graham goes to the saints. then with the eagles last of 25 4th round picks the eagles outsmart the entire nfl and take clay harbor. they constantly outsmart themselves when it comes to spotting and drafting talent.

1. Geez… Is there anything you agreed with?

“i don’t get the love for king dunlap, because he is absolutely terrible. if it wasn’t for the eagles, he would be out of the nfl. he’s had 1 really good game in his career and that was against atlanta in 2010. that is the same game where kevin kolb looked like joe montana. if dunlap ever had to start the eagles would be in major trouble.”

Dunlap started 2 games last season. One at OT against Buffalo, and one at G of all places against the Cardinals. He played well in both games. In 2010, he saw significant action in 5 games. Dallas twice, Green Bay in the playoffs, Atlanta as you mentioned, and San Fran. He was abysmal against San Fran, but played well in all the other games. I agree that he’s not a legitimate 16 week starter. I’m not sure who’s making that argument. But as far as a backup OT that can play either side, he’s a hell of a lot better than what you’ll find on most teams. I’m not really sure what you’re seeing.

“even if the nfl instituted an 8 week IR, jason peters would still end up on the 16 week IR. there is just no way he will be able to play next year. his career is in serious doubt right now, because it’s going to be very difficult for a man his size to recover from that injury. he will never be as good as he was in 2011.”

It’s certainly not likely that he’ll play, but it’s possible. Unless, of course, you’re his doctor and you evaluated him personally, in which case, I’ll yield to your expertise.

“brian rolle should be in green. he was surprisingly good when he played last year, and the defense vastly improved with him out there. he also seems to be around the ball, and he can actually make game changing plays. an amazing new concept that i never knew linebackers were capable of.”

Jamar Chaney was awesome in 2010, and then he was awful in 2011. Rolle was OK in 2011. I’m certainly not saying he was bad. But let’s just be realistic there. If the Eagles have a chance to upgrade that position, they should.

“mike patterson should be in yellow, because he is not very good at all. in college he was a 3 technique UT who made disruptive plays in the backfield. since then pete jenkins made him bulk up to a fat slob and has ruined his career. patterson’s pass rushing ability is almost non existent. this notion that he commands a double team is a farce. he gets singled regularly and is not very good at defeating 1-on-1 blocks. he is a one dimensional dt, who’s “strength” is stopping the run, yet he is mediocre in run support. if the eagles wanted a 1 dimensional dt who is great against the run, they should have kept brodrick bunkley. bunkley is tremendously against the run, and a better player than mike patterson. the eagles need to find a replacement for patterson, and a replacement for jenkins (jenkins has probably 2 good years left).”

Patterson absolutely gets doubled in the run game. He doesn’t even play on obvious passing downs. The colors codes aren’t how good the player is, by the way. They’re about who’s likely to keep their place on the depth chart.

“i’m not sure how nate allen is in green, other than he was a high 2nd round pick and the eagles have shown no immediate plans to replace him. he is one of the worst tackling safeties i’ve ever seen, and he gets roasted too often. the eagles might look at him as being green, but i would absolutely have him in yellow.”

Nate Allen is in green because there’s absolutely no doubt that he’ll be the Week 1 starter. As for him being “one of the worst tackling safties you’ve ever seen,” there were a grand total of TWO safeties last year… that’s 1… 2… that had as many snaps as Allen and fewer missed tackles.

1. deg0ey says:

Jimmy! Stop letting facts get in the way of a good rant!

2. Tracer Bullet says:

Allen isn’t even the worst-tackling safety who started a game for the Eagles last year.

19. mattman says:

Was Chas Henry really that bad last year? I mean, I see that fake punt in my nightmares, but aside from that Henry seemed perfectly average at worst.

1. 25th in average, 26th in net, tied for 2nd most touchbacks (touchbacks absolutely bug the crap out of me), and he had one blocked, although I’d have to look at the tape to see if it was his fault or not.

Assuming you’re an Eagles fan, I don’t think the Eagles have had a “Top 10 punter” in ages, so I think we’re just sort of used to mediocrity.

1. ATLeagle says:

I have to go look at the details, but the punting stats are so heavily influenced by situation that I dont think they apply to this last year. Andy showed no confidence in the field goal from above 45 yards ( except the joke of a 70 yarder before halftime in Atlanta), so the punting had too many opportunities at a short field. This is the opposite of the guy in Oakland that got to bomb them from his own 10 every time.

20. Euler.is.a.pimp says:

I don’t think Dixon should be in green. I doubt they carry 3 NT into the season. I think Patt has his job secure since Andy loves him, and he’s a good player, but Dixon is only potential at this point.

21. The Purple Lion says:

Derek Landri in RED??? WTF! I agree with most of this, but that is one spot I disagree with. I think Landri should be a GREEN – especially as a 2nd or 3rd slot in rotation. We could certainly do a lot worse.

1. Note that Landri is listed twice. Red as a UT, yellow as a NT. I really like Landri, but he’s going to get a battle from Cedric Thornton. The team really likes him.

Via Tommy Lawlor:

“(Thornton) spent most of the year on the Eagles Practice Squad. Some team tried to sign him away. The Eagles gave him a raise to stay and eventually added him to the regular roster. The team remains high on him.”

I don’t think Landri making the team is a slam dunk.

1. MightyJoeBanner says:

I had no idea about Thorton. Why are they so high on a practice squad guy?

22. RogerPodacter says:

colt anderson vs tom nelson
    if colt is back from injury, nelson is as good as gone. however, if colt isnt totally back yet, i think nelson hangs around for a bit longer.

23. Tracer Bullet says:

Hanson is probably gone unless Marsh is just awful in the slot. While I think they draft a CB (I rather hope they can snag Cliff Harris in the middle rounds because he’s also a fine return man though something of a headcase), I believe the plan is to eventually have Marsh take over for Asomugha.

They probably draft a WR and I won’t be surprised if Cooper and Hall both get the shoe if Gilyard shows out as a returner. Chris Rainey could take Hall’s role as offensive plaything except, you know, he has talent.

24. Immynimmy says:

I think having Forsett would be an awesome way to back up Shady. This RB class leaves a lot to be desired. I’m not to comfortable with taking someone in the mid rounds. Plus, Forsett brings PR/KR ability.

Guys who should replace Cooper: Mo Sanu, Tommy Streeter, Marvin McNutt, maybe Ty Hilton

I also wouldn’t say that it’s a weak TE class, it just has a huge talent gap. Coby Fleener, Dwayne Allen, Orson Charles (if he gets his act together), and Michael Egnew all have tons of talent. Ladarius Green is also a boom or bust type of guy with a high ceiling.

I would also not be surprised in the least if Chaney, Rolle, and Ryans were the starters. I mean I think they’ll add someone via the draft (maybe early) but I just have a yucky feeling about that.

Finally, I still have a lot of faith in Curtis Marsh, I think that he is a starter in this league. That’s why I think we should look to a CB in next year’s draft, because even though CB is an important issue, getting Cox or Luke seems like a much better idea (even though Kirkpatrick is gonna be a great CB). Names to look at next year: Xavier Rhodes (great size, very physical, versatile, great playmaker), Desmond Trufant (great size, talented athlete, very scrappy, a bit inconsistent, I also think he’s related to Marcus Trufant), DeMarcus Milliner (great technique, a natural CB, speed, size, hands, vision; he has it all), Tyrann Mathieu (probably a top 10 guy, playmaker, when he and Patrick Peterson were playing, he was better, kinda small, but still a great tackler and a great playmaker, AWESOME ball skills), Micah Hyde (leader, good size, good ball skills, great positioning, probably a better safety prospect as opposed to a CB prospect). The 2013 CB draft class is AMAZING.