NFC East free agency: Day 1 recap

• The Redskins signed Pierre Garcon for 5 years, $42.5 million.  Shortly thereafter, they handed a contract to Josh Morgan for 2 years, $12 million.  And just when you thought they couldn’t fit anymore #2/#3 type receivers onto their roster, it was reported that they signed Eddie Royal away from the Broncos, although that report turned out to be untrue… for now.  Royal was last spotted scarfing down T-Bones with the Redskins brass at Mortons.  I put some thought into it, and really tried to put myself in the Redskins’ shoes here, trying to decide if I could find a reason to like these moves.  I can’t.  Much more on this later.
  • The Skins also re-signed Adam Carriker to a 4 year, $20 million deal.  At one point during the 2011 season, I can remember thinking that if the NFL conducted the Pro Bowl fairly (rewarding guys that play in a 3-4 as a DE like Carriker), the case could be made that he deserved to go.  But his production came down a bit as the season progressed.  Still, I felt this was a fair deal for both sides.
  • The Cowboys spent most of Day 1 trying to woo Brandon Carr.  No deal done there yet.  Cortland Finnegan signed with the Rams yesterday for 5 years, $50 million.  Finnegan is the bigger name/personality, but I think Carr is the better player. It’ll be interesting to see what kind of deal Carr can get, be it in Dallas, or elsewhere.  It has been reported that the 49ers were also showing strong interest in Carr.  I watched as Michael Lombardi of NFLN repeatedly said his deal could be more than $7 million per, as if that would be a surprisingly high figure.  I think it’ll be closer to $10 mil per.
  • Kyle Orton is also reportedly scheduled to visit Dallas.  That has nothing to do with Romo… or at least it has nothing to do with Romo’s unquestioned standing as the starting QB.  I’m surprised Orton is content to be a backup, or perhaps he’s just not getting any phone calls elsewhere?  From the Cowboys perspective, Orton makes a lot of sense.  Remember 2008?  2010?  I think Orton can win some games if need be.  I guess that means the Cowboys don’t think much of Stephen McGee, by the way.  He’s been in the league 3 years.  His development should be to the point now where the team could trust him to be the 2, but I suppose he’s not there.
  • Laurent Robinson appears to be cheating on the Cowboys, with a scheduled visit to Jacksonville, and reportedly a whole slew of other teams interested in him.  His one year stay on Dallas could be ending just as soon as it began.
  • Panthers LB Dan Connor is reportedly scheduled to meet with the Cowboys.  I gave my thoughts on Connor when he was linked to the Eagles.  I didn’t like it for Philly, but I do think he makes a lot of sense for Dallas as a “just in case” guy that can fill in if Bruce Carter isn’t the real deal.  Connor would give the Cowboys a couple of old linebacker teammates from Penn State.
  • Terence Newman was released.  No surprise there.  So was David Buehler.  Buehler and the aforementioned McGee were part of one of the worst draft classes of all time.
  • Martellus Bennett is visiting with… the Giants!  (Smooth segue alert)…. I’ve been poking fun at Marty B for years now, but I actually REALLY like the fit for him with the Giants, and to be perfectly honest, I hadn’t thought of it.  The Giants LOVE using an extra offensive tackle for max protection, and while Bennett’s receiving numbers are rather comical, I’ll give credit where it’s due… He can block.  Bennett is not a #1 TE that is going to catch 40+ balls over the course of the season.  Repeat… Bennett is not a #1 TE.  But I think he’d be great as a role player with the Giants, specifically as an extra blocker in  the jumbo package, assuming he wasn’t serious about the comments he made about wanting to be the #1 guy.

(Continued after the jump)…

• The Giants re-signed Terrell Thomas.  Confusion abounds over what the meaning of the word “guaranteed” actually means.  I’ll get back to this deal when I have some time to parse out exactly what this contract really is, but it looks pretty favorable to the Giants.
  • Keeping on with the re-signings, Todd Herremans signed a 3 year contract extension, and the team is reportedly dotting the I’s and crossing the T’s on a new deal for Trent Cole.  Aside from a report from Jason La Canfora that the Eagles were desperately trying to get Carl Nicks in for a visit (a notion that was shot down with authority by pretty much every Philly beat writer), the Eagles have otherwise been very quiet.

DAY 2 AHEAD!  Be sure to keep an eye on my NFCE free agency tracker.

1. India was the best nation and really deserved their win, can’t wait for the next cricket world cup.

2. Greetings! Very helpful advice in this particular article! It is the little changes which will make the largest changes. Thanks for sharing!

3. V0oYLt Looking forward to reading more. Great blog.Much thanks again. Cool.

4. Kory Wimbs says:

Outstanding article over again! Thanks a lot:)

5. Alvina says:

i don’t understand your line of thought. could you make it clearer please?http://www.frasesparacelular.com

6. Hello there! Do you use Twitter? I’d like to follow you if that would be ok. I’m absolutely enjoying your blog and look forward to new posts.

7. I think this is one of the most vital info for me. And i am glad reading your article. But wanna remark on few general things, The web site style is perfect, the articles is really nice : D. Good job, cheers

8. Well I truly liked reading it. This article provided by you is very effective for correct planning.

9. Albana says:

i agree with youhttp://www.shoppingpantanal.net

10. […] intrigue, as I’m typing this up, it appears Marty B is a Giant.  Surprise shocker here – As I noted this morning, I think it’s a great fit, I can’t wait to see the dynamic between that guy and Tom […]

11. Volt says:

I like the Skins moves..would love to have a true #1 but that “market” was 1 guy..No way these moves are not an upgrade.

12. rage114 says:

Is it me or is Jason La Canfora about as wrong as wrong can be when it comes to the Eagles? Didn’t he also pretty much guarantee Spags to the Eagles?

1. He didn’t really “guarantee” him to the Eagles. He worded it in a way that made it sound like an actual report, but he was doing nothing more than speculating.

1. rage114 says:

OK but this is his craft. He has to stand by the things he writes. He can’t hide behind a technicality. If he wrote it as an actual report, then an actual report is what he wrote.

1. Right, I don’t want to sound like I’m defending him. We agree.

13. WeNeedLinemen says:

Jason La Canfora ‏ @JasonLaCanfora

“Garcon deal includes $11m sign bonus, $2.1M guar base salary in ’12. $5.6M base in ’13 guar for injury only at time of signing …

On Garcon’s $5.6M ’13 salary fully guaranteed if on roster 3rd day of that league year. Makes $7M-plus each of final 3yrs of deal”

1. CarverM says:

So either he produces and is worth that money, or we cut him and have cap space to go out and get someone better.

14. WeNeedLinemen says:

I’ve seen these numbers posted in the comments sections of a WaPo article.

2012 cap numbers:

Garcon: $4.3 million
    Morgan: $2.9 million
    Carriker: $1.7 million

If they’re accurate, that’s not so bad.

15. DerfDiggy says:

100 says whatever the boys sign Carr too…(if it happens)…Jimmy writes that its too much.

1. Ha, how dare you predict my analysis! You might be surprised. They severely need a CB, and I like Carr.

1. DerfDiggy says:

Well…I figured we’d sign here for somewhere in the 7-9 range. Word is leaking today that the Finnegan deal put a dent in the original plan. So it looks as though we’re looking at 10+ a year….which is………………….too much.

But they need CB’s.

16. ArthuroMolenda says:

The Thomas deal is favorable.

There’s $1M guaranteed, the 1st year signing bonus.

Garafolo broke it down.

2012
    Base salary: $1 million
    Roster bonus (four games on the 53-man roster): $250,000
    Roster bonus ($46,875 per game active): $750,000
    Playing time/interception incentives: $1.75 million
    (+ $1M signing bonus, don’t know if he forgot it)

2013
    Option bonus: $6 million
    Base salary: $750,000 (skill/injury guaranteed if the option is picked up)
    Roster bonus (if he plays 70 percent of snaps in 2012 and is on the roster the 10th day of the 2013 league year): $1.5 million
    Roster bonus ($46,875 per game active): $750,000
    Playing-time incentives: $2.25 million

2014
    Base salary: $3.8 million ($2.75 million guaranteed if option exercised)
    Roster bonus ($31,250 per game active): $500,000
    Workout bonus: $50,000
    Playing-time incentives: $1.5 million

2015
    Base salary: $4.75 million
    Roster bonus ($15,625 per game active): $250,000
    Workout bonus: $50,000
    Playing-time incentives: $1.5 million

WRs are getting crazy money, I don’t know how we’ll ever be able to keep Cruz & Nicks (assuming Cruz actually isn’t a one year wonder).

1. ArthuroMolenda says:

Np.

There’s a major step between year 1 and year 2, because that $6M option bonus is guaranteed money (as well as $2.75M in 2014) as soon as they sign the option.
        This means that not only does he need to show he can play but he’ll also need to show that he is a $6+M CB after next season.