Mike Tolbert would be a great fit with the Giants, but it probably isn’t happening

I’m a big Mike Tolbert fan.  He’s a bowling ball type at 5’9, 243 with wheels, that puts his head down and just goes, especially in short yardage.  He has 21 TD’s over the past two years, he caught 54 passes in 2011, and he’s only 26 years old with low mileage (just 341 career carries).  He’s just a very useful player that can do a number of things well, and would be an instant upgrade over Brandon Jacobs.  Check out this speed for a big guy at the 0:50 and 1:21 marks:

Yesterday, Ohm Youngmisuk of ESPN NY noted that Tolbert had his eye on the Giants in free agency, as Tolbert delivered the following quotes on Sirius XM with Adam Schein:

“They’ve got a dynamic quarterback that puts the ball all over the field,” Tolbert said on SirusXM NFL radio when asked by host Adam Schein what he thinks about the Giants. “He checks the ball down a lot to his running backs, which is something that I think I do very well is catching the ball out of the backfield. And then they had that 1-2 punch with Bradshaw and  Jacobs and without Jacobs there that kind of leaves a hole in the offense.”

“I would love to go up there and learn from those guys that have been to two Super Bowls and won two Super Bowls, like Eli [Manning] and [David] Diehl, Justin Tuck. Those guys that have been there and done that and have that experience. That way we can get back to it.”

Tolbert, however, also discussed the Bucs, Steelers, Broncos, Chiefs, Falcons, Dolphins, and Packers.  I suspect Tolbert is going to get paid, maybe something similar to the 3 year, $11 million deal Leonard Weaver signed with Philly in 2010.  The Giants are right up against the cap, and have much bigger holes along the OL, so I’m highly doubtful they’ll put a significant chunk of their available resources toward a running back to pair with Ahmad Bradshaw, intriguing as he may be.

In fact, I think he actually makes a lot of sense for both the Eagles and Redskins.  The Eagles have some room to work with, as do the Redskins (I think?).

1. itqcRt wow, awesome article post.Really thank you! Cool.

2. Homepage says:

… [Trackback]…

[…] Informations on that Topic: bloggingthebeast.com/2012/03/13/mike-tolbert-would-be-a-great-fit-with-the-giants-but-it-probably-isnt-happening/ […]…

3. Homepage says:

Enjoyed examining this, quite very good stuff, thanks . 597173

4. hi!,I like your writing very much! share we communicate more about your post on AOL? I require an expert on this area to solve my problem. May be that’s you! Looking forward to see you.

5. I consider something genuinely interesting about your site so I saved to favorites .

6. Deusete says:

thanks for sharing your thoughts with us. i enjoyed well while reading your articlehttp://www.musicapaulafernandes.net

7. Berta says:

your blog site is really awesome! youhttp://www.decolarpassagens.net

8. I carry on listening to the news update talk about receiving boundless online grant applications so I have been looking around for the top site to get one. Could you tell me please, where could i acquire some?

9. There is clearly a bundle to know about this. I feel you made some nice points in features also.

10. Will Fass says:

Tolbert’s like a mini Jacobs who can catch. Having receivers that can catch would be nice

11. Free Plax says:

Meh, I don’t see the Giants willing to pony up the dollars for this guy. good back for sure but with our Cap situation, I’m sure they will look for a RB in the draft for cheap.

12. Immynimmy says:

Tolbert would be a great #2 for every team in the league, but it would be pointless signing in Philly since he’ll barely get the ball. Too bad, I’m a big fan.

13. Turd.Ferguson says:

Tolbert is hugely underrated and I would love to see him playing for the Eagles. That being said, I haven’t seen anything in about 5 years that would make me think that they would use him to his full potential.

1. Anders says:

I forgot Weaver and Buckhalter? Both was used much more and effectivly then any other backup RB.

14. rage114 says:

He does make sense for the Eagles but probably not the Redskins based on how much of the cap they have to give up.

15. BBI says:

According to Pat Traina, G’s are $3.1 million under salary cap after that nice gift from the Redskins/Cowboys. Still need to re-sign Terrell Thomas/Aaron Ross and Jonathon Goff. You’re right, no money.