Cowboys lose $10 million in cap space, Redskins lose $36 million in space. Can split it over 2012 and 2013 any way they want. More at ESPN.
@AdamSchefter
Adam Schefter

Just… WOOOOOOW!  A severe kick in the balls to Cowboys and Redskins fans, and I’m sure Eagles and Giants fans kinda feel like saying this:

But in all seriousness, this is a franchise-altering decision made here by the NFL, and could cripple a Redskins organization that was poised to make significant improvements to their football team. For this to occur THE DAY BEFORE FREE AGENCY is mindblowing. More as this develops.

1. Hey There. I found your blog using msn. This is a really well written article. I will make sure to bookmark it and come back to read more of The NFL takes a fat steaming dump in the Cowboys’ and Redskins’ punch bowls, relieves them of boatloads of cap space – Blogging the bEast . Thanks for the post. I will definitely comeback.

2. kT3ttC I am so grateful for your article.Thanks Again. Want more.

3. require to know by now, your writing goes to the nitty-gritty of the subject. Your lucidity leaves me desirous to know more. Just so you already, i will instantly grab your feed to keep up up to now with your blog. Stating thanks is merely my little way of claiming what a masterpiece for a grand resource. Allow In my nicest needs for your incoming post.

4. thank you! highly helpful submit!! much like the template

5. Awesome publish, very instructive, thank you for sharing!

6. Kala Ziglar says:

Substantially, the article is in fact the greatest on this deserving issue. I concur with your conclusions and can eagerly glimpse ahead on your future updates. Declaring thanks will not just be sufficient, for the excellent clarity inside of your creating. I’ll as soon as possible get your rss feed to remain abreast of any updates. Pleasurable function and considerably accomplishment in your organization dealings!

7. Good day,I like studying because of your website, I needed to depart slightly remark to aid you and would like you a quality continuation. Wishing you one of the best of luck for all of your running a blog efforts.

8. […] Colorful Salad Servers to Make Your Drab Utensils JealousCorning Museum of Glass website receives a new lookHD Vision WrapArounds Wrap Around Sunglasses ReviewsWheelbarrow Salad BowlCorning Museum of Glass offers truly hands-on fun for families in the Finger LakesFinger Lakes Getaways, Corning Museum of Glass, Corning, and HammondsportGibson Mythos 16-Piece Dinnerware SetMandalay Square Crystal Punch Bowl Product SummaryThe NFL takes a fat steaming dump in the Cowboys’ and Redskins’ punch bowls, relieves th… […]

9. I really wanted to jot down a quick comment to be able to express gratitude to you for these amazing tips and hints you are writing at this site. My extensive internet investigation has now been rewarded with sensible details to go over with my colleagues. I would believe that most of us visitors are unquestionably endowed to be in a decent website with very many awesome people with insightful pointers. I feel pretty privileged to have encountered your webpage and look forward to many more exciting minutes reading here. Thanks once again for all the details.

10. I was recommended this website by my cousin. I’m not sure whether this post is written by him as nobody else know such detailed about my problem. You’re incredible! Thanks!

11. Cassandra says:

you know, your blog is very well written, very close to lifehttp://www.yugiohrpgonline.net

12. Mike says:

Can the NFL really just do this? If they haven’t broken any official rules? Isn’t there some sort of complaint system or something, some sort of legal way the Cowboys and Skins can go with this?
    I mean, we do live in a legal society after all – if it isn’t stated in rules/laws, it doesn’t abide?

1. MikeC says:

PTF is picking-up on this but not many other folks:

“What many in the media are missing is that this entire controversy proves the league engaged in collusion in 2010, and that the Redskins and Cowboys are suffering the consequences now for refusing two years ago to participate in a violation of the labor laws.” – http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/14/league-redskins-talked-about-salary-cap-controversy-on-tuesday/

13. MikeC says:

Lots of talk about Shanny and Allen doing this in an effort to dump picks before Goodell could take them. I had initially thought it was for bountygate but maybe they had heard about this and it played into it. I can’t imagine that dumping picks to mess with him will make Goodell happy. It will be interesting to see what goes down for bountygate. If Goodell was going to take high picks from them, I bet he now takes lots of lower picks. A total and complete lack of picks and only $4mil in cap space would be a real tough spot for the skins.

This is incredibly brutal, particularly for some “sorta handshake” agreement.

1. D3Keith says:

It’s pretty hard to feel sorry for them since everybody was warned, and 30 teams played along.

Still though, to be hit for something that was not officially stated as a rule, in a season where there was no cap? Still hurts considering other teams likely did the same things (though not with as much obviousness).

15. DerfDiggy says:

Looks like the Skins/Boys are fighting it…well done. The #’s were approved…you can not retroactively say something was wrong…even if you’re “warned”.

NFL: Don’t do that!
    Skins/Boys: “Why is it wrong?”
    NFL: Not necessarily
    Skins/Boys: Well……as the law states, we’re allowed to do this.
    NFL: We’ll approve it.

2 Years later.

NFL: We told you not to do that
    Skins/Boys: But we broke no rules
    NFL: Yea but…..this is what the majority think

Yea, that’s about how it went. Wackness personified.

1. ICDogg says:

With few exceptions, the NFL can make whatever adjustments it wants as long as the NFLPA doesn’t object (in which case it is a labor dispute). It’s completely an internal policy decision, and it doesn’t have to be “fair”.

1. Blue Eyed Devil says:

Unless someone files an antitrust lawsuit like Al Davis did.

1. ICDogg says:

Where’s the antitrust violation here? It’s an internal league policy. The salary cap exists by agreement between the league and the NFLPA and any court challenge is likely to be bounced back because it’s an internal matter for the league.

16. yehti says:

look at peppers contract with the bears…. why havent the bears been punished? they paid peppers like 30+ million his first year!

1. yehti says:

i get the total salary, but it was a UNCAPPED year. to me this smells like shit. obviously im a cowboy fan but i do feel bad for Skins fans, hell id feel bad if it was the Giants or Eagles as well. to me this is just straight up and down small market team owners being bitches

1. DerfDiggy says:

Except you’re ignoring that other teams did the same. It wasn’t just 4 teams. Teams also deliberately stayed under the salary floor. It was an uncapped year. It’s collusion pure and simple, and 4 teams are being targeted

17. Roy says:

NFL: We’re taking gobs of your cap space, bitches.
    Skins/Boys: Why?
    NFL: Remember that gentleman’s agreement about 2010?
    Skins/Boys: No.
    NFL: Well, that.
    Skins/Boys: Did we break some kind of rule?
    NFL: Uh, no.
    Skins/Boys: Did we violate a law or policy?
    NFL: Nope.
    Skins/Boys: So then. Just because?
    NFL: Yep. And then we’re gonna give your $ to the other 30 teams.
    Skins/Boys: That makes sense.
    NFL: In our world, yes.

18. romu says:

Invisible cap is invisible but bites hard.

1. romu says:

Forget to say : this is bullshit.
      And I’m a Jints fan.

19. DerfDiggy says:

This is pretty…pretty….awful.

20. Roy says:

Unbelievable for the NFL to do this the day before free agency, with a lame ass explanation that no one understands.

21. Immynimmy says:

Holy shit…36 million is an insane amount of money. Although they did have like 40 million or so in cap before this…but still.

22. What says:

Dommination? how many rings have the Eagles had since 2000,dont compare the Eagles to the Giants & as for The Giants ,New York dont care about them ,The Yankees & the Knicks are still loved more.But we know what fanbase got Texas on lock!

23. ATLeagle says:

Well, I feel much better about the Eagle’s FO now. I was really frustrated at why they werent doing exactly this. There were piles of contracts that were going to expire in teh next couple of years, and it seemed to make sense on at least some of them to put money in the uncapped year if you had any thought of the players longevity, and then pay minimums for a long time.

Looks like Fat Albert on a high dollar short deal with a long run out wasnt such a smart strategy in two ways now .

1. ICDogg says:

I felt the same way, ATLeagle. I saw the Cowboys and Redskins making these moves and thought that the Eagles needed to do the same to keep pace.

2. D3Keith says:

Also, the Eagles did legally take advantage of the system, purging overpriced vets after the 2009 season, and signing 15 free agents — many on the cheap — in 2011.

24. ICDogg says:

So Atogwe and Sellers have been released. I guess they have to hurry up and make sure they’re within the cap by tomorrow.

25. Will says:

I only wish the penalties were reversed cuz Jerry Jones deserves every kick in the crouch he can get

1. yehti says:

your an idiot

26. The Truth says:

Commissioners vs America”s teams part 2, 1st David Stern does this 2 the Lakers now Goddell wanna do this 2 Da Boys! WOW

27. ICDogg says:

Apparently the “uncapped year” wasn’t.

28. bula says:

this made my day

29. KJ Brophy says:

LOLskins & LOLboys

30. RogerPodacter says:

wowwwwwwwwwwww.

36 mil for the skins? holy crap. i want to see more details on what exactly they did wrong.
    from what i’ve seen, it has something to do with illegally front loading deals during the uncapped year of 2010…

1. RogerPodacter says:

from what a few more informed people on BGN have told me, there was some sort of informal deal where the teams would NOT restructure contracts to give a large payout in the uncapped year in order to reduce the cap in later, capped years.

these teams went ahead and did it anyway.
      my guess is that there was something with the new CBA that allowed them to be fined this way…
      it was also a reason why the league was so late in getting the numbers out for the cap for this season.

1. ICDogg says:

hmmm. I guess they’re just trying to undo the impact of those front loaded deals. Doesn’t seem to be termed a “punishment” as much as an adjustment.

1. RogerPodacter says:

yea i agree.

also, both teams were apparently warned at least 6 times that there would be consequences, yet they went ahead and did it anyway.

i believe these ‘adjustments’ were part of the agreement for this years salary cap, as decided by the NFL and the NFLPA and was also partly due to how much both teams spent in total last season.

31. BBI says:

Anyone else wondering why the NFC East in the 2000’s has been dominated by the Eagles and Giants?

32. Anders says:

One would think the Redskins and Cowboys have known about this for longer, outside of the teams and the NFL, who really knows the cap figures?

1. Yeah, that was my first thought. They had to have knownthis was coming don from the league. I’m sure it didn’t come as a major surprise.